General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GM Shop Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Shop Manual

Any members on here with the official GM shop manuals? I believe that they came in the form of three different books.

I'd like to see if they actually give you GM part numbers or do they simply aid in diagnostics etc? I've been searching the net for very specific (and odd) pieces for my car that I can't find anywhere.

I really wish that I could have the programs the dealers use
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

no service part numbers in the books...............just tool part numbers for the GM special tools needed for the job.......got my books cheap off fleabay
Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any ideas as to where I would be able to hunt down a book/manual that has a break down of our cars and all the gm part numbers?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Have you looked at the part number database in the sticky at the top of the General Maintenance section? Tons of numbers there.

If that doesn't have what you need, your dealer will be able to figure out the number. Over the years, I have built a personal inventory of factory parts that I beleive will be of use/value once these items are dis'coed by GM. I've gotten all my part numbers either from the dealer or in that General Maintenance thread (or, in some cases, the number is printed on the original part).

I don't think I've ever seen a GM shop manual with part numbers (mine doesn't have them either). These numbers change, sometimes more than once.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

In your original post you mentioned you were looking for some odd misc. part numbers. I dont know of a book with all the part numbers but one thing I have learned on my years of being on this site is this is a VERY large community and odds are if your looking for a specific part or part number someone on here has gone through the same problems finding it and could help or possible find it in a search. Great forums like this is part of the reason why the internet is such a valuable tool
Old 06-02-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Have you looked at the part number database in the sticky at the top of the General Maintenance section? Tons of numbers there.

If that doesn't have what you need, your dealer will be able to figure out the number. Over the years, I have built a personal inventory of factory parts that I beleive will be of use/value once these items are dis'coed by GM. I've gotten all my part numbers either from the dealer or in that General Maintenance thread (or, in some cases, the number is printed on the original part).

I don't think I've ever seen a GM shop manual with part numbers (mine doesn't have them either). These numbers change, sometimes more than once.
This is what I'm looking at doing too, actually. I've been contemplating getting some headlight motors for the trans am seeing as that will definitely be a sought after part.

What other parts do you think will be of value?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
This is what I'm looking at doing too, actually. I've been contemplating getting some headlight motors for the trans am seeing as that will definitely be a sought after part.

What other parts do you think will be of value?
Sent you a PM.