General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

as long as its not pouring it doesnt bother me. but id rather it be nice out.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually if it looks like it's going to be nasty out I'll drive my beater, but I've been caught plenty of times in heavy rain. So while I don't enjoy it, its not a big deal if it happens.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
As I was reading your post, my very first thought was LCAs. Then I read further, Guess that's not it.

If a panhard bar is loose it will definitely clunk, but it shouldn't effect traction that drastically (at least in my experiance).

Have you inspected the shocks and shock mounts? Shock or LCA related issues are the two biggest things that stand out in my mind, based on your description.
The shocks are new about 25k ago (last summer, yes I drive a lot) I checked the mounts top and bottom and they are tight.

Originally Posted by cody161
It sounds like your limited slip isnt working right and both of your wheels are turning at the same speed. Check the fluid in the rearend and you might try adding a little bit of limited slip additive.
Maybe for turns but that wouldn't affect starting from a stop going straight I wouldn't think. I was figuring the traction issue is just aggravated when making a turn and the limited slip is doing its job transferring power. Was also under the impression the Torsen unit did not use the additive.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Launching!

i hate rain..
Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The shocks are new about 25k ago (last summer, yes I drive a lot) I checked the mounts top and bottom and they are tight.
Have you fully inspected the torque arm? (bushing, mounting bolts & nuts)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I checked the pumpkin side nuts and bolts, they are tight. The jack broke so I can't get under it again to check the trans side and bushing. I need to get a jack...
Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Launching!

I checked the pumpkin side nuts and bolts, they are tight. The jack broke so I can't get under it again to check the trans side and bushing. I need to get a jack...
sounds like torque arm at the trans mount, maybe something lose, broken or worn out there. hope you get it figured out.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove home in a torrential downpur coming home from work one Sun. afternoon. It wasn't exciting until I tried to catch up to a Mercedes coupe in the distance. Well, he saw me catching him so he dropped the hammer- I could smell his cats, the only way I could tell! He couldn't get away nor could I catch him, I was battling (literally) standing water and hheavy foot! He exited at my exit so I sat on his tail at the lights - turned out it was a Mercedes 550 2dr coupe (lots of hp, big dough!). Light turned green and we were off again. His traction control was superior to my right foot, needless to say, and at about 75 mph I backed out as he steadily put lengths on me! It came down to electronic traction control and tires I feel. Btw, applying that much throttle in those conditions scared me so that made me back out from the dig! He kept going though...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

since my khumos suck *** in the rain i hate it...3rd gear at about 25 goin around a corner so slow im dam near boggin the car down, go to give it a lil gas dam tires break loose! and even goin straight 3rd gear about 2k rpms give it a lil more gas i see how ud enjoy it makes it seem like ur cars faster than it is lol spinnin out so easy but i dont enjoy it...and no my tires are no where near bald i think they are summer tires only
Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ever since I got the motorcycle, it seems like I only drive my camaro when it rains
Old 06-03-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phynix
sounds like torque arm at the trans mount, maybe something lose, broken or worn out there. hope you get it figured out.
Once I get a new jack (or borrow a friend's) we'll see. All the auto parts stores around here only have poly bushings for the torque arm, no rubber. Any negatives to that?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Drove home in a torrential downpur coming home from work one Sun. afternoon. It wasn't exciting until I tried to catch up to a Mercedes coupe in the distance. Well, he saw me catching him so he dropped the hammer- I could smell his cats, the only way I could tell! He couldn't get away nor could I catch him, I was battling (literally) standing water and hheavy foot! He exited at my exit so I sat on his tail at the lights - turned out it was a Mercedes 550 2dr coupe (lots of hp, big dough!). Light turned green and we were off again. His traction control was superior to my right foot, needless to say, and at about 75 mph I backed out as he steadily put lengths on me! It came down to electronic traction control and tires I feel. Btw, applying that much throttle in those conditions scared me so that made me back out from the dig! He kept going though...
I would never try to race anyone in the rain. That's dumb, IMO.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Once I get a new jack (or borrow a friend's) we'll see. All the auto parts stores around here only have poly bushings for the torque arm, no rubber. Any negatives to that?
To be honest I could tell you they are great since I read so many people on here use the poly, but I would not be giving you my experience. When I needed to replace mine was only a couple days before the new 12 bolt went in and I had a bmr extreme duty ta put on at the same time, weld in front mount, I am sure they aren't any worse, and any time I have use poly over rubber somewhere else to be honest never noticed a difference, good or bad.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Driving in the rain with these cars must be great! I especially luv all the posts I have read about "WRECKED IN THE RAIN AND MY STREET DRAG RADIALS ARE WORN OUT"
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sundaydriver
Driving in the rain with these cars must be great! I especially luv all the posts I have read about "WRECKED IN THE RAIN AND MY STREET DRAG RADIALS ARE WORN OUT"
and my wiper motor doesn't work. i'm riding straight rainX, WHEN i remember.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

^^ actually, the moral high road would be to say street racing is wrong and dumb IMO! However, for you, street racing in dry conditions is more your style- I guess the extra speed you attain with traction is more fun for you? I wonder how fast that Merc would've got up to in the dry, prolly more than 75! It is important to know your limitations of driving ability, apparantly when it's raining you wont play but the inference is that when its dry all bets are off?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say driving on wet roads with my 245s is rather fun.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by pewter2002
^^ actually, the moral high road would be to say street racing is wrong and dumb IMO! However, for you, street racing in dry conditions is more your style- I guess the extra speed you attain with traction is more fun for you? I wonder how fast that Merc would've got up to in the dry, prolly more than 75! It is important to know your limitations of driving ability, apparantly when it's raining you wont play but the inference is that when its dry all bets are off?
This thread is NOT about the legal or moral implications of street racing. This is the one and only warning I will give in regards to that, if things continue to go down that road I'll just lock the thread. Nearly every one of us plays around on the street from time to time (myself included), but doing so in bad weather is just dumb, because you are exponentially increasing the risk factor. Overconfidence is a dangerous flaw.

Having said that, my comment actually had nothing to do with what was legal or moral. My point was, if you think for a second that you can control your car as well in the rain under rapid WOT acceleration as you can on dry pavement, then you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

When I posted my comment in a seemingly humorous way it was the serious side of me actually speaking. How many times have we seen threads that they spun their DR's in standing water or post aftermath pics and all you see is bald tires on a wrecked car.

Be careful and be smart.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

The Camaro is now just a toy. I guess I'm the only one who loves driving it in the rain. It's 100 times better than the Cobalt that thing is terrible in the rain. If its windy its like driving a sailboat down the freeway. The Camaro is very stable and planted and has alot more traction. Tires make a huge difference. I have Bridgestone RE 760s on the Camaro and really doesn't drive that much different wet or dry. Just have to choose wisely your spots of irresponsible behavour on the street, for those who decide to do so.

Quick Reply: Driving in the rain