General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What is the better aluminum intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
do some research you don't need a lot to change temperature of air!!! you know the reason for the coolant running through the throttle body? is to heat up the air for fast start up in extremely cold conditions only problem is ounce the engine reaches operating temperature the coolant keeps pumping through up to 225 degrees warming the air to reduce horsepower proven fact!! now imagine a aluminum intake ruining almost at the same temp of the engine
that was the point of the TB coolant. however, many people have done the bypass and have experienced no increase in power, or decrease of cold start issues.

that said, your going to have to do a lot of searching to come up with threads where people have actually LOST power due to heat soak. the only way to prove heat soak is an issue is to put a temperature sensor in the intake itself and show a noticable change that will effect power. if heat soak really changed the intake air temp that much, our cars would lose gobs of power just going from spring to summer air.

think about it for a second insted of just shooting off the hip. at WOT, the air is moving so fast, it doesnt have a chance to heat up more than 1 or 2*
Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bww3588
that was the point of the TB coolant. however, many people have done the bypass and have experienced no increase in power, or decrease of cold start issues.

that said, your going to have to do a lot of searching to come up with threads where people have actually LOST power due to heat soak. the only way to prove heat soak is an issue is to put a temperature sensor in the intake itself and show a noticable change that will effect power. if heat soak really changed the intake air temp that much, our cars would lose gobs of power just going from spring to summer air.

think about it for a second insted of just shooting off the hip. at WOT, the air is moving so fast, it doesnt have a chance to heat up more than 1 or 2*
every bit counts!!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

every bit counts!!
i agree, but for you to demote this intake solely because of its so called heat soak problems, is bogus. and unless you can show me a dyno graph of someone losing enough HP for everyone to throw these intakes in the trash, then you need to quit spreading stuff like this around.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

i agree, but for you to demote this intake solely because of its so called heat soak problems, is bogus. and unless you can show me a dyno graph of someone losing enough HP for everyone to throw these intakes in the trash, then you need to quit spreading stuff like this around.
is not bogus it has a heat soak problem compare to the plastic!! another thing i never said the aluminum intake was trash!! i just answer my believes a what thebigkeebler ask! and that was, What is the better aluminum intake? to me i will never go aluminum intake! can you tell me witch aluminum intake out perform plastic intake? and my final answer after everything i said, is you get what you pay!! and a aluminum intake lose there value a lot!

Last edited by 09camaro383; 06-05-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

is not bogus it has a heat soak problem compare to the plastic!! another thing i never said the aluminum intake was trash!! i just answer my believes a what thebigkeebler ask! and that was, What is the better aluminum intake? to me i will never go aluminum intake! can you tell me witch aluminum intake out perform plastic intake? and my final answer after everything i said, is you get what you pay!! and a aluminum intake lose there value a lot!
it is bogus, because the increase in IAT's your going to see from "heat soak" is minimal at best.

if you built 2 equally flowing/designed intakes, but one out of plastic and one out of aluminum, you wouldnt see a difference in power, other than dyno variation, i garuntee it.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

it is bogus, because the increase in IAT's your going to see from "heat soak" is minimal at best.

if you built 2 equally flowing/designed intakes, but one out of plastic and one out of aluminum, you wouldnt see a difference in power, other than dyno variation, i garuntee it.
come to az temp is 102 tomorrow on the 109 i will imagine the temp on that aluminum intake compared to the plastic! remember hot air changes everything that's why we have a cold air intake everything works together!! here is a question for you! like you said 2 equally flowing/designed intakes, if there was a way to freeze the aluminum intake example spray it with nos like the turbo charge guys spray there intercooler will the freezing aluminum intake dyno more then the plastic intake in az? i think it will!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never said it didnt got hot i just said the aluminum gets hotter if you put a Infrared Temp Gun you will easily see a difference on temp! probably 35+ degrees
LOL, wow.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
LOL, wow.
nothing else to do!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. . . . . .

My opinion of intakes, from crapiest to best

LS1 Stocker

LS6 Stocker

Weiand

BBK

FAST 78(or what ever the old small one is)

FAST 92

And last but not least. . . FAST 102

Carry on. . . . . . . lol
Old 06-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samson_420
Yeah. . . . . .

My opinion of intakes, from crapiest to best

LS1 Stocker

LS6 Stocker

Weiand

BBK

FAST 78(or what ever the old small one is)

FAST 92

And last but not least. . . FAST 102

Carry on. . . . . . . lol

I'd put an LS6 on my car before a weiand or BBk. How many of you race your cars on the street? Heat soak is an issue if you're racing a car back to back or driving it around for 20 miles and then racing. It's one thing to sit at a track with an ice pack on your intake and get your best run in...it's another if you race it on the street and want reliable results every run. I've raced AND BEAT enough terminator cobras to know that heat soak is an issue for them. They can make insane numbers cooled down and run on the dyno, but on the street after a few runs or after the engine gets hot, they lose alittle power. I don't know how it is on an LS1 car b/c I've never used an aluminum intake mani, but I'd imagine it's the same idea. Get a polymer intake. That's my $0.02.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

if heat soak really changed the intake air temp that much, our cars would lose gobs of power just going from spring to summer air.
Actually they do and you can find racer's with the timeslips to back it up. I actually just got back from the track and ran .5 slower with 5 less mph that I did four weeks ago. Granted both days are on opposite ends of the scale DA wise, but it backs my point.

I'm not saying a aluminum intake is going to heatsoak and cause you to lose power over a polymer one. What I do offer up is a solution that someone who has actually raced with one of these step up and show timeslips from the same day, about an hour between runs. Outside of that no one is going to prove or disprove anything in this thread.

What terminator cobras have issues with is not on the same level as what a LS1 would have a problem with. Superchargers are very sensitive to heat period and with the intercooler being where it is in the stock location it's only going to get worse. It's the same as an LT1. I noticed my old Z would lose nearly a tenth between rounds. I blamed it on heat soak but I could be wrong.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
Actually they do and you can find racer's with the timeslips to back it up. I actually just got back from the track and ran .5 slower with 5 less mph that I did four weeks ago. Granted both days are on opposite ends of the scale DA wise, but it backs my point.

I'm not saying a aluminum intake is going to heatsoak and cause you to lose power over a polymer one. What I do offer up is a solution that someone who has actually raced with one of these step up and show timeslips from the same day, about an hour between runs. Outside of that no one is going to prove or disprove anything in this thread.

What terminator cobras have issues with is not on the same level as what a LS1 would have a problem with. Superchargers are very sensitive to heat period and with the intercooler being where it is in the stock location it's only going to get worse. It's the same as an LT1. I noticed my old Z would lose nearly a tenth between rounds. I blamed it on heat soak but I could be wrong.
just because you lose x amout of time and x MPH, doesnt directly relate to heat soak of the intake, it relates to that (although very minimally), oil temp and the temperature of the engine itself.

like i said, the argument at hand is about an aluminum intake over a plastic intake, and your not going to see any difference in power just by switching intake materials.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

bww3588 you are right the aluminum intake is the best thing ever invented!!
I just don't feel like explaining again the same stuff to you!! My Chihuahua would of seen the difference by Now!!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

bww3588 you are right the aluminum intake is the best thing ever invented!!
I just don't feel like explaining again the same stuff to you!! My Chihuahua would of seen the difference by Now!!
im by no means an aluminum intake proponent, im just saying, your claims that your going to lose power because of heat soak of the intake alone is incorrect. period. the intake air is not in the intake long enough to see any change in temp that will amount to any HP loss.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My head hurts after attempting to read this thread.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

i feel your pain...
Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt.

Apparently this noob must bracket race his car and race back to back to back to back in the thing every round, which heak soak would be an issue then. Thats why someone invented the electric water pump.

When I bracket raced the 86 in my sig, it had an aluminum intake on it and it didnt matter if I ran the car at 160 or 180+ degree's water temp it would still run the same time/within 1-2 HUNDREDTHS. Also didnt seem to affect it when we raced the car not very long after it was shut off from the previous round, it still ran on the dial in haha.

Guess I dont know much about heat soak.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I wish I still had this old magazine article. Can't remember if it was PHR or CHP, but they compared the LS1, LS6, Fast, Weiand and another intake and the Fast was the only intake better than the LS6. Even the truck manifold outperformed the two aluminum intakes, if I remember correctly. None of the intakes were ported they were all tested on the same engine as they came.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Wait WTF! Why am I being the one that's getting jumped on?

bww- I never really disagreed with anything you said other than yes heat does effect the car a good bit. I never said it was directly related to heatsoak of the intake just your point that we'd lose power going from spring to summer air. We do. My second paragraph was just an idea to put the debate to rest. I also pointed out to the other guy that a supercharged cobras "heatsoak" issuse have nothing to do with that of a LS1

VTEC- Yup when this noob used to go rounds in the LT1 we would have to come right back to the staging lanes and have about 15mins between runs. It did effect me. If it was heatsoak or not the car would drop off. I do recall saying that's what I always figured it was but never said "beyond a shadow of a doubt my car heatsoaked and cost me time."

Bust my ***** if you want but you really have to be in dire need of something to do. I was trying to offer a solution. I guess I could go with the crowd and just post "buy a fast" without any real opinion or insight as to why. That would benefit everyone so much more I suppose.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default More heat soak fights come on!!!

The guy just ask for intake help not another heat soak war. Any of the intake will work on his mild LS1. Everyone wants to bitch about heat soak, how about the low price and extra meat on the BBK and PP for threading for his 125 shot. If he was that worried about performance that heat soak was an issue he would have no interrior and skinnies! Go with the BBK if you want bang for the buck. If you got a hard on for FAST go with a 102. Everyone else stop making a non-issue in this case out to be a huge deal.

Quick Reply: What is the better aluminum intake?