General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

exotic sound from exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bp944
I have a porsche 944 with a ls6 in it. I have no exhaust system yet and I still have the engine out (so a cam swap is optional). I have stock short block, with patriot stage 2 heads, a torquer v.2 cam, and a FAST 90mm TB and Intake. The headers are custom made with 1.75 primaries to a 3 inch collector. How can I make this sound like a lambo or a high tuned exotic?
Depends on how "exotic" you want it to sound. This setup sounds pretty exotic to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB3PxdZtkiE
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by filmjay
180* headers is the best (and about the only) way you'll get that "exotic sound" out of an American V8. My LS3 Vette is close with small primary headers and big x-pipe into stock NPP exhaust.

All 180* headers do is mimic the effects of a flat-plane crankshaft without having to entirely rebuild the engine geometry. The L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R pattern at the collectors IS proven to increase the scavenging effect and speed up exhaust flow over the standard L-R-L-L-R-L-R-R pattern of the cross-plane American V8. (The "L-L" and "R-R" is the source of the musclecar "lope")
LS3/L92 headed cars would probably see a benefit from this type of system.

A more expensive, but proper, option would be to have a flat-plane crank cut. But then you're changing the firing order. You'll have to have a matching cam as well, in addition to whatever else may be involved. Good luck with that.
I have an acquaintance from another forum that found one as a leftover from a pro racing program.

What this guy said
Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

If that moron would not have music on his sound video, maybe we could hear better.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bp944
I have a porsche 944 with a ls6 in it. I have no exhaust system yet and I still have the engine out (so a cam swap is optional). I have stock short block, with patriot stage 2 heads, a torquer v.2 cam, and a FAST 90mm TB and Intake. The headers are custom made with 1.75 primaries to a 3 inch collector. How can I make this sound like a lambo or a high tuned exotic?
Put the stock motor back in. It sounds pretty ******* exotic.

Quick Reply: exotic sound from exhaust system