General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gen 5 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull329
The raw power in a LS1 surpasses that what you feel in the new camaro. The seats are nice in the new camaro. Other than that... I like the ls1 f-body interior more. The stereo in that new camaro... seriously? Big fail, IMO. It's heavy and it feels heavy. IMO, stock for stock, the LS1 fbody is much more fun to drive than the new camaro. Mod for mod... Im sure fbody would still be more fun lol!

Ok, im out of here before the 2010 Camaro guys come in and decide to kill me!
honestly i dont think it feels as heavy as it is. if i had to compare the two id say the zeta platform handles better in the 5th gen then the 4th gen fbody stock.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL88
honestly i dont think it feels as heavy as it is. if i had to compare the two id say the zeta platform handles better in the 5th gen then the 4th gen fbody stock.
The SS I drove felt sort of porky, but it did handle pretty well. I think a lot of that is from the IRS setup, and that GM wasn't trying to go budget-commando on the 5th gen, like they did the 4th gen.

The front tie rod ends on the 5th gen, though....holy ****.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In other words, GM is trying to match the aggressive styling and performance of previous F-bodies with the affordable luxury and driver-friendly nature of the ill-received '04-'06 GTO. They are attempting to find the middle ground with this car.
On the inside the GTO was a very nice car in my opinion. Car rides nice, feels nice on the inside, has nice materials and is well built. Sadly it did not look the part on the outside. I would take one in a heartbeat, but only as a daily driver. Now I love my '02 Z and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm more of a performance enthusiast and I love rawness and power in a performance vehicle. I get that with my 4th gen and I could not be happier with it. Recently a friend of mine purchased a 2010 v6 Camaro. Pretty much fully loaded but no leather seats and I must say I'm not that impressed. Sure the car looks great on the outside, build quality is solid, car rides nice, feels great, but as far as the interior goes the only thing I find cool is the lighting at night. Still lots of plastic and materials are not that impressive. Almost reminds me of my 4th gen. Yet everyone complains about the 4th gen interior and I don't understand why. Had GM put the GTO interior in the new Camaro I think they would have made the perfect car (for the person who's not 110% about performance).
Old 08-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
On the inside the GTO was a very nice car in my opinion. Car rides nice, feels nice on the inside, has nice materials and is well built. Sadly it did not look the part on the outside. I would take one in a heartbeat, but only as a daily driver. Now I love my '02 Z and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm more of a performance enthusiast and I love rawness and power in a performance vehicle. I get that with my 4th gen and I could not be happier with it. Recently a friend of mine purchased a 2010 v6 Camaro. Pretty much fully loaded but no leather seats and I must say I'm not that impressed. Sure the car looks great on the outside, build quality is solid, car rides nice, feels great, but as far as the interior goes the only thing I find cool is the lighting at night. Still lots of plastic and materials are not that impressive. Almost reminds me of my 4th gen. Yet everyone complains about the 4th gen interior and I don't understand why. Had GM put the GTO interior in the new Camaro I think they would have made the perfect car (for the person who's not 110% about performance).

i agree
Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
I've been in several GTOs. The interior is "nice". That is all. I don't see it as the end-all be-all that most GTO owners feel that it is. I've been in Cadillacs and Buicks (and even other Pontiacs.... Bonneville GXP, and also Corvette) of the same era that are as good/better IMO. I think they used nice materials for the GTO interior, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the interior styling (same with the exterior styling). Guess you could say that, while great in theory (2-door, V8, RWD), the execution of the GTO lead to an overall style that was definitely not appealing to me.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate the 5th gen for what it is, a quick car with all the modern creature comforts. It's not necessarily better or worse than the fourth gen, just different. That being said, I'm not running out to buy one. I'd rather have a used c6
Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've been in several GTOs. The interior is "nice". That is all. I don't see it as the end-all be-all that most GTO owners feel that it is. I've been in Cadillacs and Buicks (and even other Pontiacs.... Bonneville GXP, and also Corvette) of the same era that are as good/better IMO. I think they used nice materials for the GTO interior, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the interior styling (same with the exterior styling). Guess you could say that, while great in theory (2-door, V8, RWD), the execution of the GTO lead to an overall style that was definitely not appealing to me.
but for the cost of a GTO i think its interior very nice. not overly luxurious but nice for what it is imo.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Well guys

I think you can say the people on this site are not your average joes. When toyota takes over at #1 in america that shows you that people dont really give a crap about their cars. GM has to be profitable, so would you rather have the a little to cushy for you to fancy throwback camaro, or no camaro.

When all else fails revert to what works. I would rather have a gen 5 then no camaro.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nodrok
well guys

i think you can say the people on this site are not your average joes. When toyota takes over at #1 in america that shows you that people dont really give a crap about their cars. Gm has to be profitable, so would you rather have the a little to cushy for you to fancy throwback camaro, or no camaro.

When all else fails revert to what works. I would rather have a gen 5 then no camaro.

exactly!