General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gen 5 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gen 5 opinions

Ok, now that the new Camaro's have been out for a while I actually went to the dealership and looked at them close up for the first time. They're really nice good looking cars I think don't get me wrong. I really like them, but the shock and awe of the release of the past generations just isn't there I don't think. When the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation cars came out they were brand new designs never seen before and got a lot of attention, but I dunno about this new retro thing going on now with the Camaro, Mustang and the Challenger. It's really cool to me when I first see it but it seems to get old really quick, because for the most part these designs have been done before. What happened to the creativity? Are we now gonna start all over and do redesigns of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens all over again in the next 20 or so years? Not trying to start a negative thread about this, just wanna see what other peoples opinions are on this subject...
Old 07-24-2010, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you do realize how popular the first gen camaro is right? thats why they styled it after those cars. i honestly think if they just redid the 69 again and put the new motor/technology in it, it would have been the perfect car.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

^^ theres noway they would do that. gm was broke already, they try hard to make new designs and technology so they get more sales one of the reasons the new camaro is too heavy lol.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

The 5th gen was made for the Baby Boomers Generation which are the people who had the 1st gen when they were new for there 1st car.I have the 4th gen & the 5th gen and i like the 4th gen alot better.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
I have the 4th gen & the 5th gen and i like the 4th gen alot better.
What do you like a lot better about the 4th gen?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

That it feels like a Muscle car and u can feel the power of the car were the 5th gen u dont.The 5th gen is more like BMW or Audi.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

I also prefer the 4th gen.

I went to the dealership a few weeks ago and once I sat down I saw all I needed to see. The car is way too big! Feels too big and looks too big. Pony cars were meant to be nimble yet powerful. While the 5th gen sure is powerful, to me it lost the charm that the 4th gen had.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

thats what i hear alot, that u feel disconnected from the road compared with previous gens, but then again, the reason we feel the road so well is cause the technology is from the 70s on our suspension. I like em, but ill wait till the newer alpha platform comes out if at all. Maybe they will lighten the load will apeall to a broader mass!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
you do realize how popular the first gen camaro is right? thats why they styled it after those cars. i honestly think if they just redid the 69 again and put the new motor/technology in it, it would have been the perfect car.
Now thats an idea. I have always wondered why GM didn't do something like that. Personally, I don't care for the new Camaros, I think the Challenger is the best looking car in comparison to the camaro, and mustang.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

That it feels like a Muscle car and u can feel the power of the car were the 5th gen u dont.The 5th gen is more like BMW or Audi.
I know what you mean. I drove my friends 5th gen. I like the feel of my 4th gen. Loud, low seats, doors shut solid like a old car,ect... The 5th gen is a very nice car though. I'd love to get the new Z/28 when they are out in 2012!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like them. overall its a major improvement over a 4th gen though they need to be lighter.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 5th gen was made for the Baby Boomers Generation which are the people who had the 1st gen when they were new for there 1st car.
Gotta disagree a bit. The new Mustangs were made for that, the new Camaro's were made to capitalize on the popularity of the Mustangs. Had the retro styling failed in the Mustang, I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro stayed dead.

I agree with some of the other things in this thread. Each iteration of the camaro brought something new styling wise where as the 5th gens just threw new tech in old style. The same with the newer Fords and Mopar offerings. I prefer my 4th gen. It stands out on the street.

That and they are everywhere. I live in a small town and I have seen at least 8 to 10 of them and god knows how many new mustangs. This in comparison to 5 to 7 very distinct 4th gen's.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked 94TA
Ok, now that the new Camaro's have been out for a while I actually went to the dealership and looked at them close up for the first time. They're really nice good looking cars I think don't get me wrong. I really like them, but the shock and awe of the release of the past generations just isn't there I don't think. When the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation cars came out they were brand new designs never seen before and got a lot of attention, but I dunno about this new retro thing going on now with the Camaro, Mustang and the Challenger. It's really cool to me when I first see it but it seems to get old really quick, because for the most part these designs have been done before. What happened to the creativity? Are we now gonna start all over and do redesigns of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens all over again in the next 20 or so years? Not trying to start a negative thread about this, just wanna see what other peoples opinions are on this subject...
I also agree with you. It is almost 'ho-hum' right now when you see one on the road. If anything I like the new 2011 5.0L GT with the 412 hp but even then it is tough to lay out $30,000+ for it when the 4th generation is still giving me smiles every day, and it never seems 'ho-hum' to me either. That's pretty good for 14 years of F-body ownership. I'm not so sure I could say the same thing about the new ones as time progresses.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove one months ago. .... Yea, I'm gonna have to agree with you 100%!!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Although they incorporate design cues from the 1st gen, I don't think they look enough like 69 to call them "retro." They have more of a cartoonish "transformers" modern look.

I have a friend who ordered one new. He declined the purchase, saying, "When I first saw my WS6, it was 'wow'! I just don't feel that with this car."

I'm sure they drive nice - like my wife's G8, since they share the same underpinnings. But the poor visibility, lack of t-tops, small trunk, and mass of the car can't lure me away from my f-body ... not to mention there is no Pontiac.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
....lack of t-tops....
Thanks for bringing that up..... WTF?!! .... Why did they remove that option?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Thanks for bringing that up..... WTF?!! .... Why did they remove that option?
Well, if I were to guess, #1 there is no place to stash them; #2 they may not have fit that small roof very well; #3 the low quality squeaks, creaks, and leaks factor that doesn't fit the quality goals for the car; #4 they have a low-budget, mullet, Amurrican image that's incompatible with the image of the car.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Well, if I were to guess, #1 there is no place to stash them; #2 they may not have fit that small roof very well; #3 the low quality squeaks, creaks, and leaks factor that doesn't fit the quality goals for the car; #4 they have a low-budget, mullet, Amurrican image that's incompatible with the image of the car.
INTERIOR:
I love my 2000 WS.6 and the styling behind it. The interior is very simple. Nothing special. It has the "less is more" feel to it. I love that!.... The new Camaro's interior to me just seems like they were trying too hard to impress people.

EXTERIOR:
I get the retro look. I can understand the desire to take styling cues from the past. Hell, I used to own a 68 bird, I get it! But if you like the look that damn much, buy a frig'n 68!! .....

PERFORMANCE:
Handels great! It has great "get up n' go!"... BUT dispite that, as even stated before, it doesn't feel like what I've known a muscle car to feel like. It's, ...TOO COMFY!! lol! The suspention isnt as rough as im used to. It's basically a sports sedan with a frig'n beast under the hood. ... That's just my .02
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Several years ago when Chrysler came out with the PT Cruiser, I thought that retro styling was very innovative. Now retro styling does absolutely nothing for me.

I wish GM had the guts to have made the fifth generation F-body from a clean sheet of paper. Keep it under 50" inches tall, keep it under 3500 lb, and ditch the gimmicks.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZigZagZ
Several years ago when Chrysler came out with the PT Cruiser, I thought that retro styling was very innovative. Now retro styling does absolutely nothing for me.

I wish GM had the guts to have made the fifth generation F-body from a clean sheet of paper. Keep it under 50" inches tall, keep it under 3500 lb, and ditch the gimmicks.
Perfectly said!