General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GM why not a DOHC LS motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
When an OEM makes an engine, they have the following priorities to worry about (there are a lot more, but this answers the question)

Packaging size
Power output
Emission
Weight
Cost
Lets compare the 5.0 mustang motor to the LS3
LS3 is smaller
LS3 makes more power
LS3 is lighter
LS3 is cheaper (parts are used on all ls series of motors to get quanities of scale vs a single application)
Another key parameter is fuel efficiency. For the sake of argument, let's grant that the Coyote 5.0 makes the same peak rwhp as the LS3. But if you're talking ability to move the car, average torque across the powerband is much more important than peak hp. That's where the LS3 displacement trounces Coyote hp/displacement efficiency.

DOHC advocates get all excited about hp/displacement. But if a pushrod engine makes more average torque with fewer parts, a simpler design, and lighter weight, while making comparable fuel efficiency at a larger displacement, where's the the benefit of the DOHC?

In the Motor Trend Camaro/Challenger/Mustang comparo, the Mustang got the worst gas mileage of the three, despite being the lighter car. I'm convinced that the new Mustang GT is an awesome car. I'm not convinced that it's DOHC motor gives it a decided advantage against the LSx.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, thanks for adding the fuel efficiency, I forgot about that important factor.

Ryan
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
VTEC = variable valve timing

you know know there are LS based engines with VVT, right?

Yes, I did know know there are. You get what I was saying though.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Packaging, efficiency and cost make the LS series engines attractive to not only GM, but to the aftermarket and hot-rodders as well. The HP/TQ area under the curve is a great point as mentioned above...

Having said that, a modern iteration of the LT5 would be sick!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Default Ignorance is bliss

Some of these comments are so funny I couldn't avoid commenting. Especially the people who say the extra weight of a twin cam 32 valve setup would be a bad thing. Unfortunately we can only use examples from Ford because they make variations of their 4.6, 5.0, and 5.4 offerings. The difference between the 5.4 single cam and the 5.4 DOHC is a measly 15 pounds. So when ya look at all the extra available power with the DOHC setup, vs the power to weight differential, this argument doesn't even come close to holding water.

The other argument I love is the thought that the LS series of engines last longer and make more power than the DOHC competition. When you look at the power per liter you'll be laughing with me. And let's be honest here..... If GM built a twin cam setup good, doing it the right way it would last just fine. Those kids in the Hondas buzz those engines to 9,000 RPM, make 100 hp per liter, and easily do 200,000 miles.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXmark
Some of these comments are so funny I couldn't avoid commenting. Especially the people who say the extra weight of a twin cam 32 valve setup would be a bad thing. Unfortunately we can only use examples from Ford because they make variations of their 4.6, 5.0, and 5.4 offerings. The difference between the 5.4 single cam and the 5.4 DOHC is a measly 15 pounds. So when ya look at all the extra available power with the DOHC setup, vs the power to weight differential, this argument doesn't even come close to holding water.

The other argument I love is the thought that the LS series of engines last longer and make more power than the DOHC competition. When you look at the power per liter you'll be laughing with me. And let's be honest here..... If GM built a twin cam setup good, doing it the right way it would last just fine. Those kids in the Hondas buzz those engines to 9,000 RPM, make 100 hp per liter, and easily do 200,000 miles.
You drag up a 6 month old thread to give us ricer math?!

I'm sure the "power per liter" arguement makes the ~150hp honda guys feel a lot better when they get ripped apart by a 350hp LS1.

Quick Reply: GM why not a DOHC LS motor?