General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

i have no idea what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i have no idea what to do

so heres the situation, im in ait for the army in ft sill. im flyin home to NC soon for leave before going to my next station halfway across the country.

option 1: drive my camaro to my next station, but it has 178k on the motor. trans is rebuilt, new clutch, fresh 373 gears, new alt and starter, plugs, etc.

option 2. buy a truck when i get home and leave my camaro in NC, drive the truck to next station.

option 3: sell the camaro, buy a low milage gto to drive to next station.

im planning on gettin a bike in the future and figure the truck would be nice to haul it with, and i hear my next station has some winter weather where 4wd is almost a must, but at the same time i love a badass fast car. moreso if i can keep the one i have. but with 178k, would it even be worth risking that far of a drive? and if so and i broke down, what would i have to do?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

The major part you left out is the condition of your Camaro engine. I see all the other work done. That is a TON of mileage but there are owners here that have approached 200k miles and still enjoy the ride. If the engine is still somewhat strong I would keep the car until you are done with the Army completely. It is too hard to keep and buy cars or trucks while in the service. The winter situation you describe is still somewhat of an 'unknown' at this point. You can concentrate on a new ride (and save up your $$ in the meantime) when you get out. Starting civilian life with a nice new ride is the way to go.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Launching!

but in the scenario that somethin breaks on the way there, how would i get it the rest of the way? i dont think tow trucks are willing to travel more than a certain distance
Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if youre worried about making it then look into car shippers. it shouldnt cost a ton.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You're allowed computer access during ait?

Times have changed.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 202K on my LM7 in my 99 Z-71 and I would drive that truck to Alaska with complete confidence if I needed to. If you don't have any known motor problems I wouldn't hesitate to drive it......unless you just want a truck or GTO
Old 08-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Teching In

my 99 ta has 164k on it and i just drove it an hr each way to the drag strip, made 6 runs and drove home with out a problem. i think youll be fine with your car.