General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How much are low mile SS Camaros goin for now days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much are low mile SS Camaros goin for now days?

Id had a couple LS1 cars and now im in the market for another one. I was just wondering how much a 10K to 40k mile Camaro SS is sellin for? I see how much people are askin but i was just wondering if i shop around what kind of price i can get.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty big range out there depending on what you're looking at.

The high end would be a 2002 SS Anniversary Edition (or some other popular color combo) with very low miles going in the $19K - $22.5K range.

The lower end would be a 1998/1999/2000 SS with roughly 40K miles -- wouldn't be unreasonable to get one for $8K - $10K.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine for 20k with mods, one owner with all the bells and wistles. Garage kept, have all the reciepts, both window stickers, blah blah blah
Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

I picked up my '02 SS with 14K miles for a little more than 15K out the door. It only had one owner, clean and clear car fax, all service done at the dealership, 100% stock. It was exactly what I wanted; V8, 6spd, fully loaded and not to mention it was a SLP SS.

I looked around for a while before find this car. I had my '02 V6 Camaro that I loved before the SS so I knew exactly what I was looking for.

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

I would think 15k would be the limit you would want to pay for an Fbody even if its an '02 with zero miles. Because when it comes down to it... they're just not worth that much to a bank. You may get the kind of seller that says, "It's got this and that, and I put these expensive blah blah blah in it." All that says to me is either it's been properly or improperly maintained... and yes to much work on a car could constitute improperly maintaining a vehicle. It really doesn't add much value to the vehicle.

Unless you're either Rich or a Super GM Fanboy.. Don't pay more for what something is actually worth.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
I would think 15k would be the limit you would want to pay for an Fbody even if its an '02 with zero miles. Because when it comes down to it... they're just not worth that much to a bank. You may get the kind of seller that says, "It's got this and that, and I put these expensive blah blah blah in it." All that says to me is either it's been properly or improperly maintained... and yes to much work on a car could constitute improperly maintaining a vehicle. It really doesn't add much value to the vehicle.

Unless you're either Rich or a Super GM Fanboy.. Don't pay more for what something is actually worth.
It may not be worth that much to the bank, but for an enthusiast who will keep the car for awhile it might be worth it.

It's all up to the person who buys the car. For me, a Camaro SS has been my dream car for years. Probably since I was 14 and my Step-Dad and I went to pick up the V6 Camaro that I bought from him and just sold for the SS.

These cars are some of the best looking cars on the road IMO. I'm not trying to start a debate or argument here.) And for someone who loves cars and the performance/upgrading that can be done, these cars are well worth it.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Value is highly dependant on location. What might be over paying to you could be perfectly fair in another region.

Bank/book value means nothing when you're looking at a super low mile collector quality car. An '02 SS with "0 miles" (realistically, let's say under 10k) could qualify for that category. One with double or triple digit mileage will certainly be worth well more than $15k, regardless of what the average bank says. Not everyone gets a loan to buy a toy.

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Pretty big range out there depending on what you're looking at.

The high end would be a 2002 SS Anniversary Edition (or some other popular color combo) with very low miles going in the $19K - $22.5K range.

The lower end would be a 1998/1999/2000 SS with roughly 40K miles -- wouldn't be unreasonable to get one for $8K - $10K.
I pretty much agree with these figures for my area. The lower-end bracket would probably be about $2k higher though, if the car had never seen winter.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Teching In

I got my 2000 ss clean 2 owner a4 with 44 k miles for 12.5, for what it was and the extended warranty bumper to bumper at the dealer i work for. I thought that was badass.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

I just paid 14k for my 99 SS vert. 37k miles. Wayyy above average condition.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I paid 12k for mine with 21k a year ago. 2002 SS Camaro with brand new LS1 and Tranny. Tons of mods spotless body.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2cam
It may not be worth that much to the bank, but for an enthusiast who will keep the car for awhile it might be worth it.

It's all up to the person who buys the car. For me, a Camaro SS has been my dream car for years. Probably since I was 14 and my Step-Dad and I went to pick up the V6 Camaro that I bought from him and just sold for the SS.

These cars are some of the best looking cars on the road IMO. I'm not trying to start a debate or argument here.) And for someone who loves cars and the performance/upgrading that can be done, these cars are well worth it.
I totally agree. Like RPM WS6 said, buying a car like this is a collector car, although most banks might not approve a loan for the entire amount doesnt mean the car isnt worth the asking price. I would rather have a low mile 02 SS than a new one. The new ones are just too heavy & I just like the looks of the 98-02 cars more.

Originally Posted by Hawk777th
I paid 12k for mine with 21k a year ago. 2002 SS Camaro with brand new LS1 and Tranny. Tons of mods spotless body.
You got a smokin deal right there.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Teching In

im up in Maine and you dont see to many of these, I got my 99 ss slp 6 speed with just over 60k on it for 10 grand, totally stock. just gotta keep your eye out and find the best deal. patience is a virtue.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
9 Second Club

3 years ago I paid 11,800 for my 99 z28 with LTs, Lid, SFC, LCAs,, PHB and UDP. Car had 38k miles and was mint. I'd say fast forward 3 years so 10k would be the limit on a similar car, add a couple of grand for an SS. Just my .02
Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

In response to the couple follow-ups on my first post.

Realistically, anyone asking more than 14-15k is going to be sitting on that car for awhile waiting for a buyer. I think there's enough testimony here you can find what you're looking for at a fair price if you're patient enough. If you consider you're purchase a toy, then by all means throw out any logic of value. You can't put a price on fun, but the insurance companies will.

I've got 9k into my 2001 T/A with 88k miles.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby5
Id had a couple LS1 cars and now im in the market for another one. I was just wondering how much a 10K to 40k mile Camaro SS is sellin for? I see how much people are askin but i was just wondering if i shop around what kind of price i can get.

Thanks
Despite everyone's thoughts and opinions it only matters what YOU want to own and pay without being foolish in the process. There is a rather huge 'premium' to pay for a 10,000 mile 2001-2002 Camaro SS vs a 40,000 mile SS. Mainly due to the 'collector market' and 'collector value'. Grabbing a basically 'new' 2001 - 2002 SS with 10,000 miles for $20,000 is a no brainer. If you can get one for less, then that is a really good deal but not easily accomplished. You could own a gorgeous performance car for the price of a new Consumer Reports 'appliance' car. I know which one I would want to own. If $20k is too rich for your blood, then opt for the 30-40,000 mile 2001 - 2002 car that was well maintained, not abused, for a price in the low teens. If you don't mind the 1998 or 1999 models then of course you can adjust the price slightly lower. There are plenty out there still and don't be afraid to travel to get your car. Good luck! The search is half the fun
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Realistically, anyone asking more than 14-15k is going to be sitting on that car for awhile waiting for a buyer.
This is not really a big deal for a car that someone owns as a collector/toy, unless they need money in a hurry for something other than just another toy.

If you consider you're purchase a toy, then by all means throw out any logic of value.
I think the problem is that you're trying to apply "book" type values to cars where those prices don't apply. Obviously, it would be silly to blow a bunch of extra cash on a weather-free, super low mileage mint condition garage queen if you plan to daily drive it and erase all the factors that make it worth more than an average car in the first place.

The collector market is driven by supply and demand, not banks or insurance companies or pricing guides. The logical price to pay is whatever the average going rate for such a car is. Nobody is suggesting that one should pay $50,000 for a 5k mile '02 SS, but if you're going to hold out for a car like that at $14k, then you might as well just give up now.

You can't put a price on fun, but the insurance companies will.
You may or may not be aware, but those of us with collector cars usually have special insurance with agreed or stated value for our collector/toy cars. We cover ourselves based on the investment we've made, not based on the sort of book value that would apply in a normal daily-driver type policy.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 02 SS A4 W/33,875 miles that i would sell for $12,000 firm and it has a bunch of SLP Options and aftermarket bolt-on's.Its also very streetable and has run 11.88 w/stock internals.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You may or may not be aware, but those of us with collector cars usually have special insurance with agreed or stated value for our collector/toy cars. We cover ourselves based on the investment we've made, not based on the sort of book value that would apply in a normal daily-driver type policy.
Oh I'm fully aware of such. and if all of what you say justifies paying a premium price for someones else's baby... Then by all mean say whatever you need to say to help you sleep at night.

My intention wasn't to post an opinion to be picked apart as moronic, so go ahead and drop 16-20k, it's not my money... But I can still be as much justified laughing about it as you are defending it.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Oh I'm fully aware of such. and if all of what you say justifies paying a premium price for someones else's baby... Then by all mean say whatever you need to say to help you sleep at night.

My intention wasn't to post an opinion to be picked apart as moronic, so go ahead and drop 16-20k, it's not my money... But I can still be as much justified laughing about it as you are defending it.
Not sure what you think there is to laugh about....you seem to have no interest in owning collector type cars, so why would you worry about their values in the first place?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not sure what you think there is to laugh about....you seem to have no interest in owning collector type cars, so why would you worry about their values in the first place?
Well I paid the right price for mine, '01 T/A 88k miles - $9k

what about some of the other purchases we've seen in this thread alone?

'02 SS 34k miles for $12k
'99 Z28 38k miles for $11.8k
'99 SS 60k miles for $10k
'99 SS 37k miles for $14k
'02 SS 21k miles for $12k

You can pay anything you want for a vehicle and justify it, but a smart collector will only spend what they can turn around and sell it for. And lets face it, these 10-12 year old cars just don't have that kinda value... yet, or if ever. We're not talking about '78 Vettes here. If I was going to blow 19k on a car, It wouldnt be an Fbody. Just my opinion, and thats all it is. My opinion.