General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

possible bad altenator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default possible bad altenator?

i normally have her plugged into a battery tender, but this time i didnt. it was approx. 3 days without the tender. i went to start it, and nothing....totally dead. not even the interior lights worked. i jumped it with a jump box, and she started. after about 40 seconds, i noticed SMOKE coming from the negative terminal. the volt gauge in the cluster read well over 13 volts. a small multi meter read 14+ at the battery.

info: i have a lightweight braille battery, and recently i had a PS line let go on a road course, spraying the engine bay with PS fluid. ive heard about PS fluid and electronics. on advice from a fellow racer, i sprayed the alt. with contact cleaner, let it dry, then ran it to dry further (this was 2 weeks after the PS line blew, with no miles in between).

to my recollection, the last time she was out for a drive, the volts looked normal.

any ideas? bad alt, or bad battery?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

alternator, it happened to my Z28.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

pull it and have it checked. Only takes 15 to pull it out and half of that is jacking up/ jack standing the car. When my alternator went, it was at a stoplight.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

i had both the alt. and battery tested. both passed. doesnt explain why the battery was stone dead the one time, and why it was smoking while running after.

i put everything back together.....run, starts, and no smoke as of yet.