General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Who still has a stock car here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to leave my car stock too... But sooner or later, you lose that ONE race that gets the fire lit
Old 08-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
I was going to leave my car stock too... But sooner or later, you lose that ONE race that gets the fire lit
Truer words were never spoken!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

I'm still sitting on orignal rubber. I have a lid, cat, SFC some little bullshit but nothing major. I want to respect the stock, but I don't have a hard on for all orignal. Our cars were fast as hell in 99', but now we are middle of the pack, I hope to be able to afford to bring it back to the top soon.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Leaving your car stock is the equivalent of only doing your girl from the front... There's a whole lot left on the table....
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Super Speed
Leaving your car stock is the equivalent of only doing your girl from the front... There's a whole lot left on the table....

Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

For the guys saying they still have the original tires, change them ASAP. Tires have a life of around five years even if they still have enough thread. old tires are like a time bomb waiting to go off at any moment.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Teching In

My '98 t/a is bone stock except for the chrome corvette wheels. I've only had it a few months and ever since I bought it I'm constantly replacing this or that to get rid of some maddening squeak or rattle. Seems like as soon as I get rid of the latest squeak, it's less than a week before I'm hunting down a new one. Other than that, the car is a pleasure to drive. Trying to decide whether to dump some more money into it on mods or sell it off before winter and go another route.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Within 2 weeks of new, the car had sub frame connectors & strut brace. Have never had a squeak or rattle.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

bought my 2002 ws6 about a year ago. with 38,952 miles on it bone stock down to the paper air filter...now it has slp lid , slp lm1, hids , 4" quad tips
cant leave a car stock. its impossible for me
Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, that's sig-worthy.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine's "kinda" stock. Previous owner did all the mods, which is good because I would've done them anyways

Skip Shift eliminator
Aftermarket shifter(stock one sucks, I've never missed 3rd gear)
Catback, not sure of the brand
Lid, smooth bellow, K&N, bigger MAF- the lid fit like crap, and I had all the stock parts, so that is stock again.
Torque Thrust II 17" wheels- not my first choice in wheels, but they do look real good polished up, PITA to keep them looking good though.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

I agree about the stock tires, I have limited UV damage becuase it has been garage kept since new, now it is in an undergraound garage so it really is almost climate controlled. I will be getting new tires as soon as I can pony up for them. I was just making the point mine is stock as can be but I am not foolish enough to be attached to all that jazz. Thanks for pointing that out CHAMAN.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

2001 with 61,900 miles. ive had it for a year now.
other silverstar ultra headlights, its completely stock.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still have a stock one in the family. Pops has a 02 SS vert se. Its painfully stock. Only thing not stock is tires. It has 80,000 and change on it. Still has stock spark plugs. Looks like a brand new car all over still.

I guess the only reason its stock is because we both have other LS cars that arent stock..keeps us away from it
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Latch
Damn, that's sig-worthy.
Do it!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
PSJ
On The Tree

+/- stock..bought my 02 WS6 new.

SLP !CAGS
SLP Subframe Connectors ( bolt-in )
SLP Blackwing Lid
BMR STB
Ractive T-815 Exhaust Tips
HPA CNC hood, fender vents and pedal covers
Collector Edition rear filler panel
Lou's Short Stick
TB Bump Stop Mod
Autometer Shift Light
LOB Badges

I think thats all.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

all i have is a lid,and a cut out. i like it that way.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
For the guys saying they still have the original tires, change them ASAP. Tires have a life of around five years even if they still have enough thread. old tires are like a time bomb waiting to go off at any moment.
I disagee. Tires will last A LOT longer than 5 years on a seldom driven car, especially one that's garage kept. After 10 years you might have problems. If they are stored properly (right temp, right climate, never driven on) they will last even longer than 10 years, but I'll agree that it can be risky after that point, moreso depending on driving/usage habits.

Nothing is wrong with a stock car. I'm old enough and have owned enough cars at various levels of modification to see the appeal of the entire range, from stock to wild. All depends on your goals, tolerances and budget.

Once you get past the basic bolt-ons (which many people consider to still be "stock"), there is always some sort of trade-off for modding (driveability, longevity, reliability, MPG, maintenance, road manners/comfort). What might be "no big deal" to some can be a major hassle to others. Everyone has a different tolerance, and eventually reaches a point where more power/performance would mean dealing with trade-offs that aren't worth it to them. For people that reach this point and still want to go faster, this is usually when they move towards a dedicated race car build.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I really believe that age is one of the main factors in 'modding' vs keeping a car stock. What I did to my '71 Roadrunner when I was much younger makes me today but I also remember how much fun I had at the drag strip and on the street . You learn to appreciate the factory car eventually. I'll never make that a 'blanket' statement though as I attend many car shows with 60+ year olds that still mod the heck out of their cars. For some, it never ends, EVER!! To each his own and the main thing is to enjoy every muscle car or sports car out there for what it is.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, the longer I have this car, the more I'm happy with it factory. I know that there are improvements that can be made without a doubt. I take my dad's bone stock GXP out and that car will outhandle and out brake my WS6 ANY day of the week....but that's fine. That's todays technology and my F body was over a decades ago.

It's simply the way these cars where intended to be from the box. It may be a long shot but I have a feeling that Firebirds/Trans Am's will be worth something one day because unlike the new Camaro, there will never be another Trans Am on the road.