General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

OK, does anyone else get stressed..

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me a year to convince myself that I can do heads and cam by myself. I had it all planned out... Had all the parts lined out and schedule figured out. The only so far I screwed up is following LS1howto.com on re-installing the rocker arms back.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do everything by myself. And its my only car. Double stress right there. Always gotta do it on a weekend and be ready to go to work on monday.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

thats the problem...if you dont have another set of wheels to get to work in..then its always a crash fest to get the car torn apart, mod/upgrade/fix whatever is wrong etc..then re install everything and try to get to work.. the best way i have found to do it...

#1 get all your car friends together
#2 Order **** ton of pizza/BK
#3 Have beverage of choice ON HAND
#4 DONT RUSH THE JOB..can't stress that enough..
#5 work in sections and take breaks...dont get stressed out..
and when its all said and done DON'T FORGET who came to help YOU .. and return the favor..

oh yeah ..take lotta pics/ video because you KNOW stupid **** is gonna happen!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I would never start a voluntary major project on a car that was my only means of transportation. Too much unnecessary stress. Then again, the single car lifestyle is just not for me anyway, and I keep my daily driver almost totally stock. Only reason it's ever down is for needed repairs.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I'm at the point where nothing much scares me. I've done a rearend, shocks, struts, rebuilt the front end, fuel filter 6 times, drained and changed ALL fluids and have done the brakes more times than I can remember, alternator, and of course spark plugs. To me its easier to work on than my wifes Tahoe because I have spent so much time working on it, I know all the stupid little things to watch out for. I have never done a clutch before I do though I will do some research. If it doesn't work the 1st time at least I have the Cobalt. Almost all of this stuff has been done pretty much alone, I had a little help bleeding brakes and lining **** up but for the most part it was just me. I love the results right now, The Camaro runs and drives better than it ever has because of the **** I have done. I would be lying if I said everything went perfect and I never got pissed off because it didn't you just keep going, it's good bonding time too. Enjoy it thats what the car is for.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I would never start a voluntary major project on a car that was my only means of transportation. Too much unnecessary stress. Then again, the single car lifestyle is just not for me anyway, and I keep my daily driver almost totally stock. Only reason it's ever down is for needed repairs.
Yeah, unfortunately for me I don't have space for more than one car, just no feasible. But right now, I'm doing my turbo build and driving my room mates car while he is in iraq (he told us to drive it and wants to send us money to get it worked on) so thats really nice. So great to work on it for an hour and say **** it, I'll come back tomorrow. No hurry at all.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Launching!

I only get really stressed when I have someone else work on my car (warranty only, I do all other stuff myself). I just picture some 18 year old doing second gear clutch dumps when "road testing" my car after doing the work.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Even with tools **** is still broke, rusted on or someone rigged it in the past, its always WWIII when working on my crap
Old 09-22-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

This just makes me think of how I drop my transmission. This the the second time doing it. It takes a while jacking it up but once its there its not bad. Getting it back in is the bitch. You have to lay on your back under the car, roll the T56 on you, then your knees lift the front of the trans and your arms get the back. Then its up and in and get the bolts with in arms reach. I could buy a trans jack but i'm to tight. I'm not even sure I could get the trans on a jack and under the car at the same time. Anyhow here's the pic.