General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

OK, does anyone else get stressed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, does anyone else get stressed..

When knowing work is to be done on their F-body as a result of one wanting to add better performance etc.? When I first got my Catfish I put a bran new CF DFX clutch in on a trans that hadn't been opened in over 100k miles w/ basic crappy tools, had to chip the pilot bearing out with a needle nose pliers and hammer b/c the stupid tool AutoZone gave me didn't fit (or else I was using it wrong..but I don't think I'm that stupid). As soon as we got the trans out that stupid slave cylinder end broke clean off (was going to replace anyways but honestly, whats the point of that plastic release if you cant even reach it!) And the gears..that damn bearing that goes on the pinion was a beast to get on, took me forever!!! I'm all about working on my own car but every time I think of something I "might" want to add I automatically get stressed. Don't get me wrong I love the results but damn..I don't see how some guy/gals do this with just them an a buddy, let alone by themselves on an F-body with no space! I must need better tools..haha..
Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a Terminator, mods are easy on those. Pulleys, CAI, exhaust (well except headers), and getting the blower ported. Working with someone is always best in my opinion. An extra set of hands can really speed things up, from just getting stuff for you or holding something to helping out with the whole process. The more the better (well, to a point).
Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Lots of areas on a 4th gen are cramped. There are things I'm willing to do on my Nova that I would never want to do on a 4th gen. Mostly due to engine bay access/space. I had to replace the heater core on the Nova 2 years ago. While doing so, I was thinking about what would be involved to do this same job on my Camaros. The idea caused me to develop a cold sweat.

4th gens aren't the easiest cars in the world to work on, but they certainly aren't the hardest either. In some ways they're actually pretty simple, with the greatest obsticle being lack of rear engine bay access.

Getting high mileage stuff apart is hard on any car that's seen lots of bad weather. Rust and corrosion makes any job more difficult.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:05 AM
11 Second Club

i dont really enjoy working on my car unless its going smoothly, but when its all said and done and you get to go out and enjoy the hard work makes it all worth it imo.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

All the money and pain it is to work on and then when i floor it i remember why i did it. But do wrench for a liveing so i do have a bunch of tools and some skills.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by WSsick
Buy a Terminator, mods are easy on those. Pulleys, CAI, exhaust (well except headers), and getting the blower ported. Working with someone is always best in my opinion. An extra set of hands can really speed things up, from just getting stuff for you or holding something to helping out with the whole process. The more the better (well, to a point).
It is tempting as it is to run out and ditch the f-body for a 4.6 and have space to work. But I don't know, just something about an LS1 makes me happy. How's the space on GTO's? I know I'd be sacrificing weight but I'll still have that LS rumble! haha
Old 08-27-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The idea caused me to develop a cold sweat.

Getting high mileage stuff apart is hard on any car that's seen lots of bad weather. Rust and corrosion makes any job more difficult.
Haha, that cold sweat feeling is pretty common then because that is exactly how I feel when I even slightly consider doing anything in the engine bay.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

It's not that bad when everything comes apart..rust and **** like that sucks.

I deleted the AC on my other car to make it easy..it's not that bad with it in.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmoken
i dont really enjoy working on my car unless its going smoothly, but when its all said and done and you get to go out and enjoy the hard work makes it all worth it imo.

Originally Posted by jamesg77
It is tempting as it is to run out and ditch the f-body for a 4.6 and have space to work. But I don't know, just something about an LS1 makes me happy. How's the space on GTO's? I know I'd be sacrificing weight but I'll still have that LS rumble! haha
No no no. I was saying that A cobra would be easy to do the bolt-on mods. The 4.6 probably has less room than any LS car. Have you seen how much room those monster heads take up?! Our cars really arent that bad, just like RPM said, its just in (lack of) access to the rear of the motor that sucks. A few of my friends have taken out power steering, a/c & heat and plenty of **** under the hood and it is very clean. Not like an old scool muscle car that came with a big block and still had room on each side though.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

No no no. I was saying that A cobra would be easy to do the bolt-on mods. The 4.6 probably has less room than any LS car. Have you seen how much room those monster heads take up?! Our cars really arent that bad, just like RPM said, its just in (lack of) access to the rear of the motor that sucks. A few of my friends have taken out power steering, a/c & heat and plenty of **** under the hood and it is very clean. Not like an old scool muscle car that came with a big block and still had room on each side though.

I was just about to say the same thing. Those heads engulf the engine bay.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine stresses me out, cause every time i fix something, something down the line goes bad. Fixed my throwout bearing, now i have either a rear end on its way out, or a trans doing the same.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM

I see now..that lack of access is definitely a bummer. Caused my buddy to say "screw it" on one of his spark plugs. OH and I have never seen under the hood of a 4.6 haha. The grass is always greener eh?..

Last edited by jamesg77; 08-27-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Mine stresses me out, cause every time i fix something, something down the line goes bad. Fixed my throwout bearing, now i have either a rear end on its way out, or a trans doing the same.
Damn man..sorry to hear that. I can imagine how you feel
Look on the bright side thought, once you finish fixing everything that goes wrong. You'll practically have a new car!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the poster child for doing this kind of stuff by myself with a junky tool kit from autozone. Ask me how I know...

Dropped my tranny on a slanted parking lot in front of my condo complex by myself with a socket set. Half way through the install I realized I was way in over my head but got it done somehow.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/lear...all_638399.htm
Old 08-27-2010, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

It helps to have all the right tools for the job. I make sure to do tons of research before jumping in to a project, but even still.. problems always come out of nowhere.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I am the poster child for doing this kind of stuff by myself with a junky tool kit from autozone. Ask me how I know...

Dropped my tranny on a slanted parking lot in front of my condo complex by myself with a socket set. Half way through the install I realized I was way in over my head but got it done somehow.

you have ***** to do that outside like that. I have a garage with a lift thats full of tools and dropping my tranny the 2 times i did to change out stalls was a bitch. lol.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

sorry couldn't help but laugh through most of that vid. you really did make almost every mistake possible when dropping the trans. Doing it twice myself in my garage, i know how much of a pain it is. haha, nice job getting it done though
Old 08-27-2010, 06:00 PM

damn guy, you definitely have patients. I would have gotten so pissed so many times and just said "f*** it" for a little while till I was happy again. That's why I always try and have some one with me so we can laugh it off and get back to work! Funny vid man, that release on the slave is b.s.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

all the time. its never ending BS lol.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

I used to own a 2001 VW GTI with the VR6. I'm not scared of anything now when it comes to working in a tight engine bay. Usually when you work on the VR6 you have to jack the motor up and/or remove a ton of other junk that's in the way depending on what you want to do.

I feel bad for people with large chubby hands when it comes to working on some of these cars.