General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Engine seems to have lost some steam....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine seems to have lost some steam....

Ok, my '99 Formula (mods in sig) seems to have lost a little bit since last fall. I don't have the money for gas (no job for the summer) so I don't run it up much, plus I'm happy enough cruising along, so I usually don't pay attention to any difference as I don't usually rev it up. Well, I took on a BMW 760 and while there wasn't much trouble, it seemed like it should be no contest (shifted at between 4.5k-5k rpm). The car runs like a top otherwise (sounds good, torque feels good), but doesn't pull like crazy over 4.5k like usual. I shouldn't have waited so long to ask, but I don't want to have to think about it over the winter.

So basically, I'm thinking stuff like fuel filter, plus/wires, but I don't know what else to check over the weekend. Any advice? Just seems to have lost some top end.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel filter and new plugs and wires seems like a great start. Does the car feel like it has a small miss? May also consider servicing the fuel injectors. I know our local walmart has a fuel injector service where they hook up a tool to fuel system and run a cleaner thru it, only costs about $20 here. I actually noticed a difference when I had my 95 camaro. Or you can always just put a bottle of lucus or gumout in your gas tank. Either way may help you out. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Doesn't feel like a miss. Like I said, the engine seems to run really good otherwise....
Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Seafoam in the gas tank and the crank case on top of your plugs/wires/fuel filter. While you're at it, check the screen on your MAF and your air filter.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Seafoam in the gas tank and the crank case on top of your plugs/wires/fuel filter. While you're at it, check the screen on your MAF and your air filter.
Yeah, Seafoam.... I'm just wondering if letting it sit over the winter helped junk build up, that's a good idea
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Yeah, Seafoam.... I'm just wondering if letting it sit over the winter helped junk build up, that's a good idea
That's mainly why I suggested it. I think leaving the gas in the tank without Stabil could have done a number to the fuel filter and/or injectors. A can of seafoam in the gas tank will probably do you some good. I usually run a can through the first tank of each spring, since my car sits a lot over the winter months.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z Fury
That's mainly why I suggested it. I think leaving the gas in the tank without Stabil could have done a number to the fuel filter and/or injectors. A can of seafoam in the gas tank will probably do you some good. I usually run a can through the first tank of each spring, since my car sits a lot over the winter months.
Ok, so just fill the tank, pour it in, and drive? If the fuel system isn't functioning up to what it should, will it hurt it to drive the car til it's back to normal?

EDIT: I don't think I put Stable in the tank....****.....will changing the filter and running Seafoam be enough?

Last edited by 99FormulaM6r; 09-02-2010 at 05:01 PM.