General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stock or modded?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
The stock car has been beat for sure but not as hard as the modded one.
Completely invalid assumption without knowing more about each owner and how they took care of the cars.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A modded car with a cam revs higher, you have no idea for sure what valvetrain is in it for sure without checking means the internal motor is beat worse... So IMO the fact stays true I think. Those are true assumptions fella.

When I bought my WS6, I tracked down to see who the previous owners where. It was initially picked up by a 28 year old male and he leased it for 2 years (probably raced with it, but only mod was a catback). Then picked up by a 38 year old female, that later traded it in to the dealer I bought it from and she had it for ~3 years. Car was flawless, garaged for the life of the car so far, and had 48k on it when I bought it in late 2006. That my scenerio, not to say this car is the same way but just an example. But if the un-modded car is in flawless or extremely good condition also then I have a hardtime believing it has been beat that hard if you see what I mean. Alot of what I just wrote can be a mute point but I still stand by it

Sorry, Back to subject
Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used car is always a gamble as far a maintenence and how hard of a life it's had.

But it's a MUCH higher probablity that a modded car has the **** beat out of it. Why do you think some guy modded it in the first place?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the stock one has 50k miles its probably not been abused enough to worry about. I got mine with 75k was a 2 owner car and I had no service records or anything of that nature to go off of. I do all of the maintenance and take decent care of the car.

My car now has 117k miles on it 2 years later with only the thermostat failing. I had to do a window motor and belts but other than regular maintenance that's all.

When I look at a modded car a lot of times theres stuff I dont like that they have done, so if you like everything about the modded one and it runs well it might be better if you want those things to be as they are. It would save the down time for mods and some cost. But the owner is the only one who would know if it burns oil to some extent or the mpg its really getting.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Used car is always a gamble as far a maintenence and how hard of a life it's had.

But it's a MUCH higher probablity that a modded car has the **** beat out of it. Why do you think some guy modded it in the first place?
There is a difference between using the power the car has and beating the **** and abusing it. Sure if a car has a cam and some other mods they were done to make it go faster but that in no way shape or form mean he abused it.
I would be willing to bet that for every modded car out that that is abused there is a stock one that the owners abuse just as bad and dont keep up with the maintance on. Really all depends on the individual owner.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67

I agree with this but there are always exceptions on BOTH sides. Some stock examples have never seen an oil change. OUCH!! Finding a modded car that has been babied and well-maintained is a tough find. Who mods a car to baby it?? Not many but there are those that like to show their cars only. I know of two examples here locally that are modded to the gills with very low mileage and NO abuse. The seller wants HUGE $$ though. Now THOSE are the ones to find at a fair price.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is all assumptions I guess. In general, modded ones are beat more I suppose. But look at mine; I have never been to the track, don't street race, yet it has bolt ons, cam, and all kinds of toys etc....but it is taken care of like there was gold lining. I'd buy my car any day knowing how much care went into the build mods and maintenance and how little the driver gets on it! All depends really.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
A modded car with a cam revs higher, you have no idea for sure what valvetrain is in it for sure without checking means the internal motor is beat worse... So IMO the fact stays true I think. Those are true assumptions fella.

When I bought my WS6, I tracked down to see who the previous owners where. It was initially picked up by a 28 year old male and he leased it for 2 years (probably raced with it, but only mod was a catback). Then picked up by a 38 year old female, that later traded it in to the dealer I bought it from and she had it for ~3 years. Car was flawless, garaged for the life of the car so far, and had 48k on it when I bought it in late 2006. That my scenerio, not to say this car is the same way but just an example. But if the un-modded car is in flawless or extremely good condition also then I have a hardtime believing it has been beat that hard if you see what I mean. Alot of what I just wrote can be a mute point but I still stand by it

Sorry, Back to subject
Not all cammed cars rev higher, not at all. Sure, max effort big breathing h/c/i cars designed for nothing but the 1320 must rev to the moon to exploit the breathing characteristics of the cam/head combo, but not all. Some cams work fine with stock operating range and rely on other things (ie: ramp rates ...) to get good power and torque throughout a usable rpm range, without reving a hair past 6200. Just saying, assumptions breed assumptions. Valve train could be very good on a cammed car that was well maintained and properly pieced/matched. Chances are though, if this car has 450 horsepower (at the rears?), then it's a max effort kinda car, and therefore my bet is it has been drove as such. My .02
Old 09-08-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Have you ever had a 4gen f-body before?