General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Advice on buying a 98 WS6 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on buying a 98 WS6 Trans Am

The guy is wanting 6,900 for it but I am not too sure its worth that much. The pricing on these cars seems all over the place. I see lots of places selling them anywhere from 9,000 to 15,000. But then I price them on Kelly Blue Book they list it around 6,000.

Anyway, I am not sure the car is worth 6,900 because it needs some work. It looks like it has been repainted, the front bumper has chipped paint (covered by a bra, which looks better imo) and also the mirror on the driver side door needs repainted (which most likely means the whole door will get repainted). On top of that there is a crack on the dash, the speed bezel needs a clip so it sticks out ever so slightly, the driver side seat is ripped and has a fairly large hole in it which means it will probably need reupholstered, the passenger seat safety belt has the plastic part that connects to the seat broke off, the stereo needs replaced along with the amp too as there is buzzing when you add any bass (not a system, its factor sound system) and on top of all that is has 114,000 miles on it.

Most of this is minor problems but to fix it all will add up quick. The way I see it is if I pay 6,900 for it and put 2,000 or 3,000 in it I might as well just buy a better quality car. So would I be dumb to buy it for that price and if so what would be a better asking price? Thanks
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just depends on what's available in your area. Some places, that might be the only f-body for sale within miles, other places, they're as common as early-90s Neons and Caravans.

I personally wouldn't buy it, simply because busted stuff that's not fixed is typically endemic of an owner who doesn't give a damn about the car.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like all those little problems bother you. If I was you I'd pass it up for something a little better. As Element stated, sometimes these cars are common and sometimes they're rare. Id say a little driving will do you some good.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
It sounds like all those little problems bother you. If I was you I'd pass it up for something a little better. As Element stated, sometimes these cars are common and sometimes they're rare. Id say a little driving will do you some good.
I don't really have a huge problem with them. The only thing that really has to be fixed asap is the window because winter is coming up. I am just more worried that it is a sign the engine could be bad or the car will need more money in it than what it is worth. The guy is suppose to take it to a mechanic this weekend to get it inspected, we will see if he does or not. If it turns out the engine is fine I probably will try and buy it if he can bring the price down to around 5,500 which I doubt he will do. But the cars are somewhat rare around here but not too hard to find. But I specifically want a WS6, T-Top, Automatic, Red Trans Am which could be hard to find for the right price. People seem to like to price these cars for more than what they are really worth.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyson360
People seem to like to price these cars for more than what they are really worth.
I think you feel that way because you are concerned with this:

But then I price them on Kelly Blue Book they list it around 6,000.
You can pretty much toss KBB out the window when it comes to pricing on specialty cars like this. The market is set by supply and demand, and since demand on these cars is higher than the average 8-12 year old car, price will be higher than "book" value as well.

There is also going to be a huge gap in price between a high(er) mileage fair condition car vs. a very low mileage mint condition car. KBB (and other pricing guides) does not accurately reflect this gap.

Shopping for an LS1 F-body is not like shopping for a basic 4-cyl. commuter car.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with rpm, just take your time and not rush in to anything that you wont be happy with
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Well I like the car a lot and would be happy with buying it if I was 100% sure I am getting a good deal at 6,900 considering all the cosmetic problems. I will probably just have him get a quote from the mechanic of the total cost of repair when/if he goes to get it looked at.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I think this car is a mistake and you will regret it. Some excellent posts by many folks here and you should listen to the combined experience. This car sounds neglected and a potential money pit. That is no way to enter the LS1 world. KBB is 'out to lunch' on pricing quality low mileage Trans Ams and Camaros, however KBB can be a very useful tool for high mileage, average cars. That's about it. Good luck in your search and don't be afraid to travel!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't really have a huge problem with them. The only thing that really has to be fixed asap is the window because winter is coming up. I am just more worried that it is a sign the engine could be bad or the car will need more money in it than what it is worth. The guy is suppose to take it to a mechanic this weekend to get it inspected, we will see if he does or not. If it turns out the engine is fine I probably will try and buy it if he can bring the price down to around 5,500 which I doubt he will do. But the cars are somewhat rare around here but not too hard to find. But I specifically want a WS6, T-Top, Automatic, Red Trans Am which could be hard to find for the right price. People seem to like to price these cars for more than what they are really worth.
I couldn't help but consider the possibility that the cosmetic neglect of the car may reflect the car's mechanical maintenance.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:15 PM

I couldn't help but consider the possibility that the cosmetic neglect of the car may reflect the car's mechanical maintenance.
Thats my main concern as well. But if he gets the car's engine inspected and it comes back clean. Still a bad buy for 6,900? I know everyone is telling me to stay away from the car because it could be junk but I really can't afford to lay down 10k+ right now so if I can get one a little cheaper and just fix the small problems myself I am ok with that. Granted this is ONLY if the engine is in good shape.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to save a little more and get something better so u dont run into big problems.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

The main thing that would bother me would be how you said it looks like its been repainted? Have you run a carfax? Do the car lines line up like they should? It sounds like your set on buying the car. I wouldnt call the price a steal, but I wouldnt consider it overpriced either, I would say it sounds about fair. And for the miles it really does not sound like there is that much wrong with the car and aside from the paint and radio most of it is normal with wear and tear

Where is he getting the car "checked out" at? do you know the shop? I would ask him to take it somewhere that YOU trust. 114 k is not alot of miles for these cars as long as there taken care of.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
The main thing that would bother me would be how you said it looks like its been repainted? Have you run a carfax? Do the car lines line up like they should? It sounds like your set on buying the car. I wouldnt call the price a steal, but I wouldnt consider it overpriced either, I would say it sounds about fair. And for the miles it really does not sound like there is that much wrong with the car and aside from the paint and radio most of it is normal with wear and tear

Where is he getting the car "checked out" at? do you know the shop? I would ask him to take it somewhere that YOU trust. 114 k is not alot of miles for these cars as long as there taken care of.
Yeah it has been repainted, when you pop the hood the tone of red is faded compared to the exterior paint and also where the paint has chipped on the driver side mirror the red underneath is faded. The car lines line up good it seem. Never even thought about running a carfax on it, I am not sure how that site works though. Will pretty much every car have a history report on the site?

I am definitely not set on buying it though cause I think there may be engine trouble. Looked underneath the car and looked like it may be dripping transmission fluid..but there is no puddles on the ground in the garage it was sitting in. Not worrying about that though because the inspection will tell all. I am not sure where he is gonna take it but I am gonna have him get me a copy of the quote he gets from them.

Here are some pictures of the car from his photobucket. It doesn't show any of the problems though obviously.
http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/...00_1031.jpg%26

Pic of the seat: (has a rip on the actual seat part as well
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...nterior005.jpg
Dash: (speed bezle damage and crack on up right corner)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...g?t=1284344711
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think you feel that way because you are concerned with this:

You can pretty much toss KBB out the window when it comes to pricing on specialty cars like this. The market is set by supply and demand, and since demand on these cars is higher than the average 8-12 year old car, price will be higher than "book" value as well.

There is also going to be a huge gap in price between a high(er) mileage fair condition car vs. a very low mileage mint condition car. KBB (and other pricing guides) does not accurately reflect this gap.

Shopping for an LS1 F-body is not like shopping for a basic 4-cyl. commuter car.
I agree 100%... I paid $18,500 for my 02 Z28 two and a half years ago, but it was in MINT condition with 23k miles. Looked like it had been sitting in the show room from day 1. I had been searching for months for an f-body with very low miles, in near perfect condition, t-tops, fully loaded including leather, and a 6-speed. I'd have to say that is very hard to find these days. Everyone who has one like that wants to keep it. I know I may have overpaid for it, but it was worth it to me.

What it comes down to is how much YOU think it is worth. Disregard KBB. On most normal cars it's pretty accurate, but like RPM WS6 said, these are specialty cars and they are going to have special prices.

Edit: After looking at the pictures, I would say go for it. It looks great to me. As long as the motor is in good condition, the body doesn't need any work except for those small things you stated which won't cost THAT much to fix.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My honest opinion is that you don't need to pay more. You just need to wait a little longer. We understand that you really want one because we all went through the same purchasing experience.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait,look and don't mind traveling if you can. Like stated the pricing on these cars vary. I have owned 11 LS1 cars and most of them were great deals. 3 of them came from other states. Be patient and check the classifieds here as well. Somebody seems to always need to take a lower than asking price for their car
Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

My honest opinion is that you don't need to pay more. You just need to wait a little longer. We understand that you really want one because we all went through the same purchasing experience.
^^ This.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

if i were u i'd wait a little longer and save a lil more money.and if u dont mind driving maybe an hour or 2 away from where u live u can possibly find a better deal.i had to drive an hour to pick up my 99 z28 but it was worth it.

but if u are sure u want this particular car,then go ahead and have the motor checked and if its in good condition then go for it.after lookin at the pics the car does loook really good

Quick Reply: Need Advice on buying a 98 WS6 Trans Am