General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Myth - New car buying on Internet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Myth - New car buying on Internet?

...looking for a new Camaro.

The Internet buying links are a bad joke. They promise to provide price quotes and avoid dealer haggling hastles but they do not deliver.

I'm getting e-mail messages from dealers asking me to contact them; no quotes are provided. If I wanted to talk with a dealer, I would not go on the net to do this.

Is buying a new car on the Net only a myth?

Thx....
Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

I would not imagine that there would be that big of a difference in new car prices if your buying it from a dealer. If there is any markup on them it is listed on the window sticker. Just curious as why you just dont go to the dealership and discuss it with them. Im sure alot has to do with the options the car has so its hard to give you a quote through E-mail without knowing what you want, Ive seen options change a cars value 5-10 k. So they probable dont want to give you a quote for something that you dont want. You could always just call these people and if they try and BS you just hang up on them.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

dude, once you know exactly what you want, shop by phone and net by PRICE only. Ask for the fleet manager at the stealershit. the may or may not connect you. Hang up if they act dickish. If your not trading or financing it's a pleasure - hang up and call another unitl you're happy.

AMF

BTW: Your not actually buying a new camaro are you?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a myth. You cannot buy a new car on the web. You will always have to haggle with the sales person. Just remember to look outside local. You will probably find a better price, and it is sometimes worth a drive
Old 09-15-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had pretty good luck buying on the web. If they won't quote a price, tell em to eff off and move on. Just make sure you walk in preapproved for a loan and with an offer from carmax to cut down on haggling there.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's no substitute for being and informed consumer and burning up shoe leather. You have to deal face to face with people, and be able to walk away. Don't get emotional, this is strictly business. You can be emotional afterwards, after you're out of their parking lot and driving your new car away.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Internet bull:
Get free new car quotes here; lowest prices, best deals, no hastles. Give us tons of personal information and well send you the quotes!

Results:
Case 1: E-mail from salesman X at Dealer Y: We have a special private sale on Saturday; come in and [haggle] ....no quotes, no inventory list - nothing.

Case 2: E-mail from salesman S at Dealer B: Here is a link to our inventory; come in and talk. [inventory link does not work] ...no quotes, no inventory list...

....and on and on and on.....

So far, Internet buying seems like a complete MYTH!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

I did half and half for my last new car. A Ford dealer by my house actually had their web site inventory up to date. Saw add in paper for a cheap focus, went and looked at it on the lot (on a sunday so as not to be bothered) and while looking at cheap one, I saw a nicer one that I liked a lot better. So I went home, pulled it on the web and looked at what incentives where offered. Monday morning first thing I called and asked to speak with salesman regarding the car with ID # etc. I said, that's the car I want, I have a Saturn currently that's good for $1000 incentive, I get supplier Discount, and what ever other current incentives. Fax/email me the break down. Also, I can get such and such loan rate through my Cedit union, if you can't beat it, I'll just show up with a check from them. You need to also have car ready for delivery by 4pm today. Let's just say everything was done, and I was out the door happy by 5pm that night. No haggle. No BS. But I also wasn't going for anything more off the car. I mean, come on, I got about 6 grand knocked off a Focus for crying out loud.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

So you got 6 grand off a 5 grand car. That means you made money. Sweet
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
So you got 6 grand off a 5 grand car. That means you made money. Sweet
LOL, That's funny. I wish. Stickered at 21K, got it for 15K
Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM

look at ebay. hundreds of people buy cars there.

check the completed listings.