General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Z28 owners need your personal thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't think I can agree with "easier to sell".

think there is an even divide of people looking for the lowest possible price on the best possibile conditon LS1 car, and people looking for higher trim levels and willing to pay more for just that.

Also, at the current age of these cars, there are few people getting loans to buy them.
With cash deals, the cheaper the car the easier it will be to sell.
Not true. There are ls1 f-bodies sitting on financed lots all over my area, mostly SS's because that's what 99% of people looking to purchase a camaro want! Especially now that the premium for an SS is nowhere near what it use to be 8-12 years ago.

An SS at the right price is going to be easier to sell than a Z28 at a cheaper price any day of the week. Having experience in dealer auction sales I can tell you first hand.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,791 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Not true. There are ls1 f-bodies sitting on financed lots all over my area, mostly SS's because that's what 99% of people looking to purchase a camaro want! Especially now that the premium for an SS is nowhere near what it use to be 8-12 years ago.
We will have to agree to disagree.

8-12 years ago the premium for a run-of-the-mill base SS was about 10% of original MSRP. If it's not still close to that, then SSs are losing value faster than Z28s.

By your percentage, only 1% of Camaro buyers are looking for the cheapest way possibile to get an LS1. If you really beleive that, then there is no point in debating it further, because we will never agree.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An SS is a z/28, just with an APPEARANCE package, pointless debate.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:12 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
An SS is a z/28, just with an APPEARANCE package, pointless debate.
Minus exhaust, lid, and suspension options.

But I'm not here to defend the 4th gen SS. I felt it was an expensive way to get some mods that I would be able to do cheaper myself to a Z28. At least as far as the few performance options. I don't agree with adding SS badges, hood, etc. to a non-SS, but that's personal preference.

Over the years I have owned 8 4th gen F-bodies and only one has been (and still is) a Camaro SS.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

I just bought an '02 Z28 A4 with 18k miles and maybe 7 years ago I had an '01 SS 6M and I honestly prefer the Z28. Probably because of the auto trans since i've been driving sticks since I learned when I was 16. It's nice to have a break from shifting.

What I really like is the ground effects and the plain hood. I didn't like the hood scoop on the SS but i'd love to have the wheels and suspension on my Z. Love the one you're with is my motto anymore.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

i graduated high school back in may of this year,a few weeks before i graduated i started figuring out which type of car i was gonna get since i had 5000 saved up.i knew i wanted a 4th gen camaro,didnt really matter if it was an ss or z28,as long as it was in my price range and in good condition i was willing to get it.

i did end up buying a black 99 z28 for 4500 wit 101k miles.has a4,magnaflow exaust,slp air lid,and under drive pulleys.everything else is stock.now i do prefer the hood and spoiler that u get wit an ss package,but thats sum10 i plan on gettin later.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmmm, you do know it's the same car, right?

A 4th gen SS is the same **** as a z28. I just think the z28 looks better because it does not have a donkey dick spoiler. Yet the SS non functional hood scoop does look better then a standard hood.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Doesn't matter it's the same car...

But for me it was about low mileage, color and leather int. then SS or z28....So when I found mine, Red with Tan leather and 28k mi...that was it and I even got a good deal on it.

Only drawback on mine was the 2.73 rear. which doesn't bother me as much anymore. But if you go with a Z28 some have that rear (not that it can't be changed).
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by samson_420
Hmmmm, you do know it's the same car, right?

A 4th gen SS is the same **** as a z28. I just think the z28 looks better because it does not have a donkey dick spoiler. Yet the SS non functional hood scoop does look better then a standard hood.
Excuse me, its a barely functional hood scoop. Not non-functional. Air does pass through the hood into the airbox, even if its not much.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I'll prolly get flamed for this but *** it.

I read this whole thread and really I picked up that they are the same car hood spoiler and wheels are the differance.
I'm pretty new to the whole F-Body scene, I always thought that the Z28 was equal to the Trans Am and the SS was equal to the WS6. Is that not a fair assuption? doesn't the SS get a little more beef in the suspension department? I have been looking at buying another f-body Z28 to be specific. I guess i'm just curious, I know that the WS6 is prefered over the T/A...

Let the Flames begin! GO!!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:12 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Hartje, it's more than just a hood, wheels, and spoiler.

Long story short, yes, the WS6 analogy is correct.

Check out the FE4 versus FE2 suspension. The SS also had more aggressive cat-back exhaust options and could also be had with the SLP Blackwing air lid.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,791 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartje
I'll prolly get flamed for this but *** it.

I read this whole thread and really I picked up that they are the same car hood spoiler and wheels are the differance.
I'm pretty new to the whole F-Body scene, I always thought that the Z28 was equal to the Trans Am and the SS was equal to the WS6. Is that not a fair assuption? doesn't the SS get a little more beef in the suspension department? I have been looking at buying another f-body Z28 to be specific. I guess i'm just curious, I know that the WS6 is prefered over the T/A...

Let the Flames begin! GO!!
Actually, the SS to WS6 comparasion is not totally accurate. SSs could be heavily optioned from SLP above and beyond what a "base" SS (hood/wheels/spoiler) would have. WS6s, on the other hand, could not. You could say that a base SS was equal to a WS6, but there were no upgrade options for the WS6 as there were with the SS. The true Pontiac equal to an SS would be a Firehawk, which could also be optioned with several SLP upgrades. But, the Firehawk came with more SLP options in base form than the SS did. So the whole thing is really a gray area in reality.

As far as suspension, from model year '00 and beyond, the WS6 and SS (a base SS, meaning one without an SLP suspension upgrade) came with the exact same suspension as Trans Am/Z28 with the only exception being the 32mm front sway bar w/ 1LE bushings (30mm on the T/A & Z28). Older models came with 1LE springs as well, but that was stopped in the 2000 MY. The main reason why a base SS/WS6 seems to handle better in stock form is the wheel/tire setup.

Truly, a WS6 and base SS are nothing more than a hood/spoiler/wheels. The exhaust "upgrade" on the base SS and WS6 was merely a muffler with 2.5" outlets (vs. 2.25" for TA/Z28) and specific tips. Other differences include specific axle bumpstop spacers, and a power steering cooler (RPO V12, which became standard on all V8s in later years anyway).
Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car from a dealership in 2003 with 28k miles and the balance of the factory warranty for $15,995. Any idea what a similar SS would have cost? Too much money for some different wheels, spoiler and a hood IMO.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Actually, the SS to WS6 comparasion is not totally accurate. SSs could be heavily optioned from SLP above and beyond what a "base" SS (hood/wheels/spoiler) would have. WS6s, on the other hand, could not. You could say that a base SS was equal to a WS6, but there were no upgrade options for the WS6 as there were with the SS. The true Pontiac equal to an SS would be a Firehawk, which could also be optioned with several SLP upgrades. But, the Firehawk came with more SLP options in base form than the SS did. So the whole thing is really a gray area in reality.

As far as suspension, from model year '00 and beyond, the WS6 and SS (a base SS, meaning one without an SLP suspension upgrade) came with the exact same suspension as Trans Am/Z28 with the only exception being the 32mm front sway bar w/ 1LE bushings (30mm on the T/A & Z28). Older models came with 1LE springs as well, but that was stopped in the 2000 MY. The main reason why a base SS/WS6 seems to handle better in stock form is the wheel/tire setup.

Truly, a WS6 and base SS are nothing more than a hood/spoiler/wheels. The exhaust "upgrade" on the base SS and WS6 was merely a muffler with 2.5" outlets (vs. 2.25" for TA/Z28) and specific tips. Other differences include specific axle bumpstop spacers, and a power steering cooler (RPO V12, which became standard on all V8s in later years anyway).
End of thread....