General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What should I do with my Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like everyone said you WILL miss that car no ifs ands or buts about it!
You been into these cars since you been in middle school, its part of you so not very easily gotten rid of.

I'm pretty sure even if the M3 who prefer handling/comfort over a muscle will advice you to keep it after seeing the immaculate condition it is in and the performance mods you have in it.

This is definitely a car your kids should enjoy when they are older. You can build another car with your son but this is one of those cars thats "been in the family since its birth".

Now thats the sentimental reasons, If you can't afford both cars I 'd suggest to get rid of the bmw.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I love gettin in my rude crude obnoxiosly loud gas stinkin gas suckin gettin stares at stoplights solid axle outdated interior car and kicken ***..... I kinda like the unrefined edge these car have....
I know and enjoy this situation as well. If you like a solid axle, outdated interior, unrefined car; you'd love an OLD muscle car. Mine goes above and beyond.... multi-leaf rear springs, traction bars, stock bench seat and non-tilt steering. Add the 4-barrel toilet bowl plus loud, stinking, lopey, header pulsing true dual exhaust and it makes a 4th gen feel and drive like an S-class in comparasion.

Originally Posted by 69camaross
This happens to almost everyone who "over mods" their car. They make it too radical that it can't be enjoyed like it was when it was near stock. Why do you think there's so many highly modified cars for sale when compared to stock ones?

Put the cats back on so it doesn't stink, get rid of the big lopey cam, put an agressive put liveable suspension on it. Maybe take the headers off to reduce the sound and ground clearance issues.
Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I disagree, I enjoy mine a lot more because its fairly(H,C,LTs) modified.
I can see both sides of this. There are advantages to each, depending on your goals/interests/tolerances. But there is a limit when it comes to modded cars and street fun. When you have no interior, a spool, 5000 stall, car won't idle below 1000rpm and is louder than a freight train, it's probably not going to be much fun anywhere but the track. Often times people get caught up in modding and they go well beyond what they originally wanted, sometimes they are not happy with all the trade-offs. I think finding a happy medium to suit one's taste is important.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 10-07-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it!!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the others. You can make these cars very streetable, just take some of your parts off (such as your huge cam, stiff suspension, etc.) and replace them with more livable parts. You probably won't be out a ton if you put those parts on the FS/FT section of this forum.

I think you will regret getting rid of this car. If I were you, tune down the SS a bit and get an M3 for your daily
Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myk
You know, watching a grown man cry is a terrible thing to witness....
Its funny you should mention that, when I bought my TA, the guy I bought it from was tearing up as I got into it to leave. I felt so bad for him, but that lasted like 30 seconds to when i got to the first straight around the corner from his house.

And as one of the guys said earlier, I drive my car very infrequently(this yr sucked, only put on like 60 miles) but the 3 times i took it out justifies all the work, oil changes(twice a season etc), cleaning etc.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I know and enjoy this situation as well. If you like a solid axle, outdated interior, unrefined car; you'd love an OLD muscle car. Mine goes above and beyond.... multi-leaf rear springs, traction bars, stock bench seat and non-tilt steering. Add the 4-barrel toilet bowl plus loud, stinking, lopey, header pulsing true dual exhaust and it makes a 4th gen feel and drive like an S-class in comparasion.

Often times people get caught up in modding and they go well beyond what they originally wanted, sometimes they are not happy with all the trade-offs. I think finding a happy medium to suit one's taste is important.

I agree and well said.... I would enjoy driving the car everyday but I try to keep miles off of it plus it makes it more fun when I do fire it up...

Oh....and I totally know what you mean about old Muscle...First car was a 68 GTO vert (cam, headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 750 and some Keystones) Blew it up and moved to a Jeep CJ, 70 Cutlass (awesomely clean) and two 2nd gen T/A's one being a HEAVILY built 77. Then I went stupid, got married, sold the car per wife and drove a Plymouth Horizen, Taurus wagons and pickups for years all the while longing for some more Muscle... When I finally wised up and ditched the b!tch I immediately started looking for a 4th gen T/A. This is prolly why my tolerance for an unrefined car is high...

Last edited by SOMbitch; 10-07-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends.

If you need to sell the Camaro to swing an M3 or M5, do it. Cars exist to be driven; I can't think of anything more boring than a highly-modded car sitting in a garage, getting 200 miles a year. If you can keep the Camaro as a "fun car" and still pick up an M3, do that.

Part of the fun, at least for me, of having a nasty, loud car that feels like your *** is bolted to plate steel every time you hit a bump is because it drives that way. I've driven decently fast cars that were still very comfortable and amenable to being daily drivers...they all got boring within a couple days. Once you turn a car into a mobile living room, you lose a lot of connection with the road, and not just because hitting a bump doesn't give you spinal compression.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Oh....and I totally know what you mean about old Muscle...First car was a 68 GTO vert (cam, headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 750 and some Keystones) Blew it up and moved to a Jeep CJ, 70 Cutlass (awesomely clean) and two 2nd gen T/A's one being a HEAVILY built 77. Then I went stupid, got married, sold the car per wife and drove a Plymouth Horizen, Taurus wagons and pickups for years all the while longing for some more Muscle... When I finally wised up and ditched the b!tch I immediately started looking for a 4th gen T/A. This is prolly why my tolerance for an unrefined car is high...
Originally Posted by Element
Part of the fun, at least for me, of having a nasty, loud car that feels like your *** is bolted to plate steel every time you hit a bump is because it drives that way. I've driven decently fast cars that were still very comfortable and amenable to being daily drivers...they all got boring within a couple days. Once you turn a car into a mobile living room, you lose a lot of connection with the road, and not just because hitting a bump doesn't give you spinal compression.
Both of these posts made me smile.

SOMbitch, sorry to hear about your "time served" with a deficient wife and boring transportation appliances. Glad to see you've made a solid comeback!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by FST SS
make it a little more driver friendly and keep her. Do not get rid of her if you don't need to.
I completely agree. By the way, the M3 will be awesome. Great choice!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

I change things all the time, at one point I wanted 800hp and didnt care about anything else. Now I just want to drive it and enjoy the ride, sound and the looks I get when I blast by some sh!thead on the freeway. I LOVE the way it looks. To me right now the Camaro is almost perfect it needs about 50 more hp and a different radio and it would be perfect. As time goes on your needs/wants change. I say make it more streetable, and enjoy it. My DD is a 2007 Cobalt LT 4 door with a 5spd manual trans. I like it alot, but its by no means The Camaro. Everytime I drive The Camaro I remember why I put up with its bullshit.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

thats why i havent been able to hold onto a car for that long, i get bored. but ill tell you after i sold my first f-body (98 t/a) i wanted one back so i sold my cobra for a camaro ss. now i sold that for my formula that only has 43k miles and i couldnt be happier.

once you get rid of it youll regret it.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Both of these posts made me smile.

SOMbitch, sorry to hear about your "time served" with a deficient wife and boring transportation appliances. Glad to see you've made a solid comeback!

Yeah life is good again
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sig says it all my friend. Now I'm in a position where I can't afford to get another one. I grew up in high school walking the lots saying the exact same thing about the camaro's as you..how I'd get one some day and never sell it. Now I have a wife and 3 Kids. I had a beautiful 00 SS I wanted to save for my son when he was older. The Army had other plans and now my wife and I share a car because I can't afford 2, less than that a camaro again. Keep in mind that every car I had, I paid cash for and owed nothing... I regret it everyday. Think about it my friend. You'll regret it and you know it.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:01 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Where's the OP? Watch him sell it despite what we've said lol...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Ill give you $1500.00 hard cash right now! Haha are you nuts?! KEEP IT!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

It sounds like that particular camaro is very special to you so i would keep it and buy a cheaper one for a DD.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Keep the car. You will hate yourself if you sell it, and you will want to strangle anyone who comes up to you and says "you sold your car?!".

And don't get an M3. The Cadillac CTS-V is where the fun is at, and you still have that amazing muscle car sound with just 2 extra doors.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Keep ther Camaro! I love the feeling of walking way out to the very last spot parked in four different parking spaces in a huge parking lot, firing it up and seeing the people that are near the front doors turn and stare. Trust me you wont get that feeling from an M3 or M5. My best friend had a 2009 M3 and yeah it was nice and pretty quick but no one oooed and ahhhd at the car like they do a beefed out LS1. I broke my neck while riding in a M3 that lost control so I def say no to the M series!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

That car and house are hands down incredible. The setting along puts that car in a class of it's own where an M3 just couldn't look as menacing nor deliver the self satisfaction of getting what you really want. I sold my toy that I built from stock/wrecked to one of the sickest sn-95 stangs I've ever seen; built, blown, suspension, brakes, the works. I sold it early this year after falling on some hard times. Thought it was best to move away from it; cut the losses and 'grow up' a little. I kick myself all the time for selling. Some cars are just irreplaceable. People tend to think their shitbox is worth a goldmine and other will tell you your pristine car isn't worth squat because johnny on ls1nutswing.com/stangboys.com thinks all of them should be worth less than a beat old camry. I bought another; even cleaner car with twice the suspension, the brakes, and potential...and am slowly piecing a forged rotating assembly to go along with this t-trim; but it's just not the same raw pushrod noise, the blower isn't going to sound like a circular saw with a bad bearing; it's going to be more refined. Honestly I'm not sure if I like that.

Bottomline. Keep it, because once it's gone; it's gone forever.

<<< has bought back sold cars due to heartache before. People WILL ruin your rides and you will sell them again out of disgust/heartache as it wasn't the same.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Park your SS for an extended period of time. Don't drive it, don't work on it, don't even sit in it unless you absolutely MUST. Try to go through a month or more of good, driveable weather without missing it. If you can without feeling the itch, you should be able to reconcile selling the thing.

That said, the M series are nice. They handle brilliantly, fairly comfortable ride for a sports car, creature comforts are nice in Houston, and the "I have an M. What do you drive?" aspect is pretty cool.

Personally, I like having my STI and the Camaro. I've considered other combinations, driven a few cars, etc. Nothing gives me the same satisfaction as having a grippy people mover and a big, nasty, American V8 that'll wake the dead.