General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car codes on drivers door!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car codes on drivers door!!!

Went and looked at a 98 ss. Made 02/98. I was looking at the codes on the door and noticed it says z28??? The guy had the car painted and never put the decals on but has them all. Is there any other way to tell besides hood,wing and badges?? So is it a z or ss?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

If I didn't make myself clear the label with the vehicle codes. In a rondom spot one code says z28
Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres a locked thread on here asking the same questions you are. If it has the code WU8 on the door, it's an SS. All SS's are Z28's that were modified by a company called SLP.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Launching!

I'm not sure but I think all SS cars started as Z28s before being sent to SLP to be turned into SS
Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
I'm not sure but I think all SS cars started as Z28s before being sent to SLP to be turned into SS
yes, if it has the code WU8 then its a real ss as stated before...and if it has Y2Y then it is an slp optioned car
Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Ok I wasn't 100% on that. I just didn't know if they maybe only put one or the other. Also, and I know this Is bad, the cars abs, brake, and traction control lights are on. He says it was diagnosed as the rear passenger abs sensor. I found one for 20$ before I bought the car I was going to put it on and see if he wasn't lying. I don't think he knows much about cars it's been in his family a supposid 7 years and in his for only a year and he's only added halo lights and a sticker other than that the car is nice and equiped with lth,borla catback, eco, sfc,cam, and a dyno sheet of 364whp and 39?tq. 132k miles. Ya or nay??? Sorry the post is so long....
Old 10-13-2010, 04:36 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How much is he asking? Personally, any change beyond a K&N air filter is an automatic disqualification for me. Why? Because 'modded typically means run hard and put away wet. Mileage wise? Well, anything over 50K is high to me, but at this point what are you looking for?

If you're just looking for a weekend fun-car then I guess it doesn't matter if there're high miles or the car's slightly unreliable because of it's 'modded nature; it's not as if you're relying on this thing to get you to school or work. But if you're like me, you want to drive an F-car with the least amount of drama and prefer to keep things stock so that you can drive it daily. Post some pics, and let us know if this is a weekend or daily driven car...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ffrh911
Ok I wasn't 100% on that. I just didn't know if they maybe only put one or the other. Also, and I know this Is bad, the cars abs, brake, and traction control lights are on. He says it was diagnosed as the rear passenger abs sensor. I found one for 20$ before I bought the car I was going to put it on and see if he wasn't lying. I don't think he knows much about cars it's been in his family a supposid 7 years and in his for only a year and he's only added halo lights and a sticker other than that the car is nice and equiped with lth,borla catback, eco, sfc,cam, and a dyno sheet of 364whp and 39?tq. 132k miles. Ya or nay??? Sorry the post is so long....
those lights are on for me too..but idk why:/...id prefer to buy something stock and then mod it myself like im doing that way you know that its done right and not driven into the ground..but it can also be cheaper to buy a car thats already modded...its your choice
Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Bought mine BONE stock and modded myself, was owned by an older man (Lawyer) that used it daily as his DD. Def nice getting in a car that sickning stock, and modding it to your liking, knowing theres no surprises, just GM.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Ya MYK I totally agree with you that's always how I look at it. He was looking for 8500 I palyed some dirty tricks and over the period of a day I got him down to 6400$. I don't think I'd pay over 5700 though. And I forgot the mention the inteior is mostly mint besides the clips not being on the shifter boot. I looked and drove it at night so I will look it over again in the light and see if there's any leaks. The car has 123,xxx it also has 4.10s I listened for a while but didn't hear much. I'll post pics tonight.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Oh and the top of the steering wheel is flimsy. If I bought the car for cheap I would already have one mint lined up.