General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

V6 A/C compressor on a V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010 | 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default V6 A/C compressor on a V8

Would a 3800 A/C compressor from a V6 car fit on an LS1 car? I can get an A/C compressor off of a V6 for cheap but I don't want to buy it if it wont work, obviously. Has anyone tried this and found the bolt pattern to be different or the same?

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-17-2010 | 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

The over all size is different, when I had mine at the a/c shop, they looked at the sticker under my hood that said 3.8liter and ordered a v6 compressor. When it came in, they said it was a whole different unit that wouldn't fit. I forgot to tell them that I did a swap but thought they would realize it was an ls1, especially when it says corvette on the coil covers lol. Ended up costing around $300 more too.
Old 10-17-2010 | 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the information, thats a pretty funny story. I think its funny that they would look in the engine bay, see the obvious V8 engine, and blindly trust the sticker...
Old 10-25-2010 | 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Yeah and I have a pretty good size cam in it too. At the time I was pissed because the cost difference was so big lol.
Old 10-25-2010 | 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm convinced that a lot of mechanics don't know jack about cars, they know how to change oil and replace alternators but thats it.
Old 10-25-2010 | 11:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
I'm convinced that a lot of mechanics don't know jack about cars, they know how to change oil and replace alternators but thats it.
And then the ones you find that are actually are good mechanics they have other problems. We used to have an older gent (late 50's) who did great internal engine and transmission work but his age was catching up to him. We started noticing that tools were starting to go missing and we couldn't find them so we had the idea that maybe the new guy we hired was stealing them. Well after taking a cherokee for a test drive after he fixed the tranny we heard a clicking sound after a while we heard a bang and saw something pieces of metal fall off the jeep. We turned around to pick it up thinking it was a piece of the tailshaft or maybe part of the crossmember. Nope it was just two wrenches, it seems that after working on a car he would sometimes forget to pickup the tools and all our customers were driving away with thousands of dollars worth of tools.
Old 10-26-2010 | 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, only time I take my car to a mechanic is when the job is way over my head, like an automatic transmission rebuild. Pretty much everything else gets done at home.
Old 10-26-2010 | 07:13 AM
Banned

i had my v6 compressor on my v8 swap. worked fine with mine.

Quick Reply: V6 A/C compressor on a V8