General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

99 frc nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 frc nightmare

Ok, here starts my rant... Maybe somebody can make sense out of this mess. Last year a friend of mine bought a 99 frc corvette, we did a cam swap without any snags a week later. He drove the car like that for probably six months daily before he decided it was time for a fast 92 and a set of ported 5.3's... That swap went good as well. The car ran for about a week till the clutch let go, so we carefully pulled the irs and torque tube. after the clutch install was complete we took it out for a test drive and it decided to shut completely down as soon as it got to operating temperature... It throws no codes during this, just says "reduced power mode" and says no communication with pcm, bcm, tcs,......... We pulled the all the guts out of the car a second time to make sure that we hadnt crimped a wire or pulled one out of a connector... Everything seems fine, but after we assemble the car a second time the symptoms got worse. Now there is no power to any accessories in the interior and the guages don't work. Also the cooling fans come on when the key is in the off position. I took a look at all the bcm relays and all of the 8567's and 7866's are burnt up. The only thing i could figure is i am getting feedback through a ground somewhere causing relays to burn up making the accessories not work. I put a jumper to the case of the pcm and attached the other side of it to the framerail and it arcs... Im at a loss! It seems like the more i try to fix it the worse it gets. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start checking the grounds, the C5 is known to have a grounding issue on the passenger side where corrision will build up, also has the battery ever leaked into the pcm harness?

Ryan
Old 10-30-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,Sounds like a ground problem to me also.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 3rd Vote for a ground issue. They are notorious for it
Old 10-30-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check out www.corvetteforum.com they are owned by the same company that owns LS1Tech and they are experts on Corvette's. They will point ya in the right direction for sure and probably have writeups with how to check and repair the problem