General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I want to put a V6 in a 1998 TA

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010 | 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
I know you said that the LS1 is destined to be swapped into the older 'Vette, but hear out this suggestion. Here's what I've gathered so far:
  • The Vette needs a LS1 motor.
  • The TA is free.
  • You don't want your daughter having 350hp on tap.
  • Your daughter is hooked on the TA.
  1. Accept TA from uncle and purchase a LS1 pullout for the Vette. (That car will be going under the knife anyway, and it just needs a LSx motor. Take the money from your $3,000 budget and purchase a motor/trans for the Vette. Now, you only have to do 1 motor swap, rather than two.)
  2. The issue remains of your daughter and horsepower, correct? See what this parent did: That is a Twin-Turbo LS1 TA "with a nut loaded on the throttle-arm to limit the throttle to only 1/2 power, because the owner can't handle the power." Problem solved. Cost? Free.
  3. Your daughter gets the car she wants, minus some horsepower, but gets a better looking, braking and reliable model. You have peace of mind that she's not going to have 300rwhp on tap, and is limited to v6 power that you feel good about. Your uncle looks like a champ, having just given someone their dream car, and the 'Vette gets the LS1 it needs. All this done with less work, money, and time--and arguably better results.
something like that she can have one of her guy friends remove it for her or she can do it herself. at least with HPtuners the dad here can get the car detuned and have the tune locked so no one else can change it around for her.
or just pull the LS1, sell the car, and use the money for something cheap and good in the snow, if it snows were you live
Old 11-13-2010 | 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killerz97
As a 19 year old driver i can say different. My 97 z28 costs over $180 a month for liability thats not anywhere near the $100 a month i paid for liability on my old saturn. If i wanted full coverage for my car forget it its outrageous.
If you are paying over $180 a month for liability on a 13 year old car it's because you done fucked up at some point lol. That or you're not shopping around enough. Pretty sure when I was 19 I could have had full coverage on a 95 Z28 for around $180 a month. $100 on a saturn is pretty bad to, I'm guessing an accident or some speeding tickets on your record?
Old 11-13-2010 | 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The insurance between my 94 Formula and 94 V6 Camaro was only a difference of about $200 a year. That was with state farm and full coverage, but I know all states are different in regards to that.

My SS is actually the same to insure as my Formula was.
Old 11-13-2010 | 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

v6 can still get her into some trouble. go with the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder iron duke.

it might make 100hp and over 120lb torque at the crank, so you might want to install a cage.

4 cylinder fbodies make awesome kids toys
Old 11-13-2010 | 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Your daughter gets the car she wants, minus some horsepower, but gets a better looking, braking and reliable model. You have peace of mind that she's not going to have 300rwhp on tap, and is limited to v6 power that you feel good about. Your uncle looks like a champ, having just given someone their dream car, and the 'Vette gets the LS1 it needs. All this done with less work, money, and time--and arguably better results.
A little correction - the brake system on the 98+ V6 and LS1 are the same. The V6 cars got an upgrade to make them all the same.
Old 11-14-2010 | 02:41 AM
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
Be about as difficult as doing a V8 swap, just probably never done. Buying a V6 car shouldn't cost much more. You still would have to insure a V8 car even though it has a V6. I don't know if I could make it through a swap project knowing I was removing an LS1 for a V6 lol..

I would just set the rev limiter and speed limiter low as **** and pull timing
This!

DM
Old 11-14-2010 | 03:28 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Like the above quoted post says, the VIN will dictate the insurance rate, so putting in a hamster wheel (or Honda motor) producing .18 horsepower won't make a difference-you'll pay T/A rates.

People will find ways of getting in trouble, especially young, inexperienced drivers. It doesn't matter if she's driving a miserable 100+ horsepower Ford Fiesta or a 500+ horsepower Ferrari F50. The key here is to educate, follow up, and hope the child in question listens and practices what they're taught.

Just scanning through the thread, I think the real goal here is getting the LS-1 into another car...JMHO

Good luck with your young one...

Last edited by myk; 11-14-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2010 | 03:32 AM
12 Second Club

Just find a 3.8 car............ no need in butchery.
Old 11-14-2010 | 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Like the above quoted post says, the VIN will dictate the insurance rate, so putting in a hamster wheel (or Honda motor) producing .18 horsepower won't make a difference-you'll pay T/A rates.

People will find ways of getting in trouble, especially young, inexperienced drivers. It doesn't matter if she's driving a miserable 100+ horsepower Ford Fiesta or a 500+ horsepower Ferrari F50. The key here is to educate, follow up, and hope the child in question listens and practices what they're taught.

Just scanning through the thread, I think the real goal here is getting the LS-1 into another car...JMHO

Good luck with your young one...
This is the truth. My niece managed to wreck 3 times and get more than 10 speeding tickets. In a 3cyl geo metro.

I would say, tell her the same thing my parents told me. If you want that car, you save for it and pay everything yourself. If you can't afford it, then you get what we deem appropriate for you. Its a whole different ball game when a kid has to pay for their own stuff, hence my first car being a toyota celica. 10 years later and I still have never been in a wreck or did some stupid **** and damaged my own car, because I never got a helping hand in any of it. Just letting her have her dream car as her first car is a bad, bad idea. Thats my .02.

Side note: pics of the vette the LS1 is destined for?
Old 11-14-2010 | 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
This is the truth. My niece managed to wreck 3 times and get more than 10 speeding tickets. In a 3cyl geo metro.

I would say, tell her the same thing my parents told me. If you want that car, you save for it and pay everything yourself. If you can't afford it, then you get what we deem appropriate for you. Its a whole different ball game when a kid has to pay for their own stuff, hence my first car being a toyota celica. 10 years later and I still have never been in a wreck or did some stupid **** and damaged my own car, because I never got a helping hand in any of it. Just letting her have her dream car as her first car is a bad, bad idea. Thats my .02.
That is probably the best advise right there. I was pretty hard on my first car, as most usually are.
Old 11-14-2010 | 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arc00TA

I like this post. Just because your daughter wants a Trans Am, doesn't mean she needs a Trans Am.....there are many more practical vehicles out there that would be much better to get started on than even a limited LS1. Even with a 2500rpm limiter, it's still possible to quick stab the throttle on a wet day and have the rear come out from around you.
Old 11-14-2010 | 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

too much of a hassle, just buy a firebird and if she likes the ta wing, then buy a TA hatch and call it a day

thats way to much work for no reason.
Old 11-14-2010 | 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

how about a v6 firebird, then find some used TA parts, ie front bumper and wing, and toss them on the bird. She would never know the difference. And it would be cheaper on insurance.
Old 11-14-2010 | 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
OP - The best response I heard so far in this thread is to limit the power on an ls1 to save time/money/effort and when your daughter is ready for more power, its available.

For the record guys, Liability on a v6 and v8 fbody is the same. Ask me how I know.
The V8 is more for me so it must be all about location location location.

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Oh gosh man, me too. Don't even get me started. My brother had a v6 1998 firebird and that motor was literally garbage. And it got about the same mpg as an LS1. I've also browsed the v6 forums quite a bit and those engine just have an unbelievable amount of gremlins, mechanical as well as electrical.
Haven't had any mechanical or electrical problems in 5+ years 60k miles I've owned my firebird so I'm sure its just like everyother car on the road. Some people have bad luck and others abuse there car so bad they constantly fall apart on them.
Old 11-14-2010 | 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems the OP is trying to create as much work as possible. Numerous people have given good advice, I'm not sure what the debate is even about. Going through the hassle of swapping another engine into the TA is ridiculous. Buy a V6 car or just have the LS1 detuned.
Old 11-14-2010 | 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

why not just buy a complete front end off a junked v6? it will bolt right up
Old 11-14-2010 | 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Buy a v6 clean bird. Swap TA bumpers and wing on it.
Old 11-14-2010 | 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Haven't had any mechanical or electrical problems in 5+ years 60k miles I've owned my firebird so I'm sure its just like everyother car on the road. Some people have bad luck and others abuse there car so bad they constantly fall apart on them.
Yeah, who ever says that the 3.8's are garbage are completely wrong. I realize that some generations of them have problems with electrical problems, but that 3.8 is a bullet proof engine....one of the reasons GM used it in various configurations for about 20 years.
Old 11-14-2010 | 04:21 PM
On The Tree

A couple of you folks have completely missed some relevant information.

The TA would be a gift, the LS1 is not mine and destined for the Vette. I can either take the car or it goes to the wrecking yard. So if the TA is sitting in my drive, I can either re-power it and she can have the car wants with a known history; or, I can sell the TA and search for a Firebird.

Reading through all the responses it sure as heck sounds like a re-power is a waste of money and time. And if ya'll are being honest from experience, that is exactly what I need. It will be much easier telling my Uncle I would be happy to have the car and my plan would be to either part it out or try to trade it off for a V6 Firebird.

I think that would minimize any hard feelings...

Besides, I would rather drop in a VW Jetta TDI............KIDDING
Old 11-14-2010 | 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Well you say you dont have a whole lot of money to throw at it. So my suggestion is find a 98+ firebird. That 3800 Series II motor is right around 200 horsepower, maybe a bit more. Throw a Trans Am rear spoiler on it. call it good. You will save on insurance, keep your daughter safe, and you can meet in the middle on what she wants. Once she has proved herself to be responsible enough to handle what she has, get one of the superchargers off the Buick Regals, that should put her a bit over 300 horsepower. When she graduates, Get her an LS1 car with some mileage. You can get one for less than 5k. Hell if you sold the V6 I bet you would have enough to get into an LS1 car. If she doesnt like the plan, buy her a Cavalier and call it good. Personally I would never let one of my kids have a sports car for their first car.

Stephen