General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I want to put a V6 in a 1998 TA

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want to put a V6 in a 1998 TA

Howdy people, it is not a joke and a serious question.

My daughter will be licensed in August 11 and she is fixated with TA's after driving my Uncle's this past summer. I told her no, I will buy her a V6 Firebird but no V8's...she is hell on wheels and only knows "brake hard and pedal to the metal".

My oldest Uncle offered to give me his 1998 TA, my younger Uncle will pull the LS1 and use it in his 1968 Vette. The TA is in overall decent shape and appropriate for a new driver although I would rather she drive a short bed fullsize V6 pickup.

Personally, although I appreciate the offer from my Uncle this sounds like a major PIA project for me, since I am eyeballs deep in my CJ build, don't have a lot of money to throw at it and overworked in the office.

I have the shop, tools, mechanical and electrical knowledge but the TA/LS1 and transmission are new to me.

Once the LS1 is out along with the PCM, harness and all that is needed for my Uncles' Vette, how cheaply, and easily can I get it on the road?

The right way would be to find a similar year V6 Firebird and swap out everything. Unless I could drop in a 4.3 TBI from an S10 or similar GM vehicle.

We are emissions exempt.

My budget for my daughter's Firebird is 3,200-3,800 but that is with minimal mechanical work and little to no cosmetic work.

What are your thoughts?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could probably find a V6 Firebird for around $4,000 and then no one would have to shun you for pulling and LS1 out of a T/A and replacing it with a 3.8.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. I like your thinking.
I had a T/A LS1 for my first car when i was 17... I do not know how i did not get killer or arrested...

Wish i could help out with the swap, i do not know anything about the v6 - anyways welcome.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds good to me. I know when my daughter turned 16 she had me looking at a Z-28 for her and I said no way ,considering how wild she was, she ended up with a V-6 camaro.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Be about as difficult as doing a V8 swap, just probably never done. Buying a V6 car shouldn't cost much more. You still would have to insure a V8 car even though it has a V6. I don't know if I could make it through a swap project knowing I was removing an LS1 for a V6 lol..

I would just set the rev limiter and speed limiter low as **** and pull timing
Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
You still would have to insure a V8 car even though it has a V6.
THIS. I'm sure the insurance is completely different between the 2.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id just look for a clean v6 firebird to purchase.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can get a decent camaro or firebird for that much. or just have the top speed limiter turned down to 70 mph.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
id just look for a clean v6 firebird to purchase.
Agree!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 608kZ28
you can get a decent camaro or firebird for that much. or just have the top speed limiter turned down to 70 mph.
And put a throttle stopper on it so the blade only opens 1/4 lol.

Like someone else said insurance is going to be killer on a T/A compared to a base car, just find a V6 instead. For $4,000 I have seen some pretty clean low mile 98+ V6's.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sell the LS1 Trans Am, use the money to buy a V6 Firebird and an LS2 pullout for the Vette.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would leave the v8 and build up the bump stop on the Throttle body so she could only go 3/4 or 1/2 throttle, whichever you prefer. You could test it out and see which one seemed reasonable. If I remember correctly Chevy did that with the Chevelle so it wouldn't be as fast as the Vette. People wised up to it and started grinding down the extra big bump stop to unleash the extra power.

But yeah, just weld on a little block on the bump stop or maybe build it up with JB weld?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would be way easier to buy a V6 Firebird and put a Trans Am front bumper on it... your daughter won't know the difference.
But I agree with the other guys on here... there are plenty of ways to limit horsepower on a car.

If you buy a Trans Am and swap it to a V6 you're going to lose money in every direction. The insurance will cost more then a V6 and the car will be worthless when you go to sell it.. nobody is going to want to undo that swap.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, I'd just buy a sixxer unless your uncle is giving you the car for free. Theyre going pretty cheap now and its going to be a pretty decent project to move forward with. If she wants the looks of a T/A, but doesnt need the performance, I think you'd be better off finding a V6 and just put the front bumper, rear bumper, hood, and spoiler on. I'm almost positive you'd have to insure it as a V8 too, since they go by the vin.

Unless you're getting the car for free, I'd just try to find a sixxer. It will be easier, especially if you're burried into another project.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

If he trans am is free I would...

Get the trans am and use what you need for the older Corvette..
Buy a decent little firebird of same color as trans am.
Swap the bumpers/wing/side skirts/seats etc with the two..
Sell the trans am with firebird stuff on it on here to offset the cost of the firebird. Someone will buy that roller because it will be liter than a trans am.

If I were to swap something in it I would have to do a 5.3 and just detune the car or maybe the bump stop trick.. will be much easier than swapping a v6 on and later when she is ready she will have the power of an ls1, at least within 10 HP or so
Old 11-13-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP - The best response I heard so far in this thread is to limit the power on an ls1 to save time/money/effort and when your daughter is ready for more power, its available.

For the record guys, Liability on a v6 and v8 fbody is the same. Ask me how I know.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
For the record guys, Liability on a v6 and v8 fbody is the same. Ask me how I know.
Oh gosh man, me too. Don't even get me started. My brother had a v6 1998 firebird and that motor was literally garbage. And it got about the same mpg as an LS1. I've also browsed the v6 forums quite a bit and those engine just have an unbelievable amount of gremlins, mechanical as well as electrical.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with those who are saying you should purchase a nice 3800 V6 Firebird.

I not only don't want to see a Trans Am castrated of its LS1, but you need to consider the cost of insuring it.

In the eyes of ANY Insurance Co., a Trans Am is a Trans Am, despite what motor is currently in the car. And the price of insuring a 16 year old driver with one of these cars will be an Arm-and-a Leg.

Is your uncle planning to sell his T/A if you don't agree to take it for your daughter? If not, the car isn't going anywhere, right? Save it for when you or her won't be putting some Insurance Salesman's kid through college with the premiums.

Let her have her "first car" experiences with a car that's a little less desirable and won't matter (as much) when some kid in the High School parking lot backs into it. Or some ******* at the mall door dings it. Or she puts it in ditch during some winter weather or while driving too fast on a gravel road. (Of course this all depends where you live.)

You could find a nice Firebird with T-tops and the Sport Appearance Pkg. (RPO Code W66, I believe.) That would include ground effects and nose & rear bumper extensions, and dual exhaust similar to the T/A.

Just my .02. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your worried about the power of a LS1 with a teenager, I would lower the rev limiter with a tune. Also a bigger bumpstop on the TB would work.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Oh gosh man, me too. Don't even get me started.
Really?

I can't say I've ever priced insurance for a V6 F-body. (Wouldn't own one, so I've never had a reason to.)

My wife has a 98 Mustang Convertible that started life as a 3.8 V6 car, but now has a 5.0 from Fox Body in it. Insurance is significantly less than if it were a GT with a 4.6 from the factory. This is through Progressive. I figured the same would apply to a Firebird or Camaro. Maybe I'm wrong?