General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Car won't start

Don't know WTF is wrong.

Car has been running perfect and this weekend I decided to clean her up real good. Wash, polish, wax and she is looking all nice and pretty.

Decided to go to the drug store to pick up some meds and when I turned the key NOTHING just some clicking. Radio work which is odd, and on one of the attempts to crank the rear hatch unlocked

Doesn't seem like the battery or alternator since the power works in the car, is it the starter or something else?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Is the clicking really repetitive and quick clicks? Sounds like a starter to me. Keep us updated and see what you find. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2slow2flurry-ous
Is the clicking really repetitive and quick clicks? Sounds like a starter to me. Keep us updated and see what you find. Good luck.
Yup very fast and constant.
I'm thinking the same

Of course I'm at our new place and my jacks and stands are at my old place still so I can't get under the car to look

Perfect timing really...will go well with the $1,000 on new tires and pads for the wife's car
Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Yup very fast and constant.
I'm thinking the same

Of course I'm at our new place and my jacks and stands are at my old place still so I can't get under the car to look

Perfect timing really...will go well with the $1,000 on new tires and pads for the wife's car
Damn that sucks. I feel your pain, I got dicked over on a built auto recently. Bought it and the the damn thing was already blown. $800 bucks down the drain with no recourse.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe worth mentioning that my guages "reset" after an attempt to start (they go to top MPH, Redline, etc. back to 0)
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,500 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Maybe worth mentioning that my guages "reset" after an attempt to start (they go to top MPH, Redline, etc. back to 0)
I would not jump to conclusions that it's the starter based on what you know so far. What you have described sounds like a battery issue to me.

You can have enough battery voltage to power the accessories but not crank the engine. I'd check the battery voltage first. If it looks ok with a voltage meter, then test it under a load and see how it looks. If you don't have the tools for this, most parts stores will test the battery for you.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I would not jump to conclusions that it's the starter based on what you know so far. What you have described sounds like a battery issue to me.

You can have enough battery voltage to power the accessories but not crank the engine. I'd check the battery voltage first. If it looks ok with a voltage meter, then test it under a load and see how it looks. If you don't have the tools for this, most parts stores will test the battery for you.
Great idea...looking for voltage meter...looking for voltage meter...ahhh **** it is still at my old place along with my old battery which may still be good...replaced it with an Optima a couple of years ago and the old has been sitting in the garage since.

This sucks ***...
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

The battery died on my car when I turned the key it would click fast. My lights were on and everything. Even called my friend and told him my dome lights were working said it didn't matter. So you did the optima and still didn't start? Usually wouldn't even click if there is a connection problem somewhere meaning little or no power. Remember mine did this on my way to work sucked so bad. Good luck! You could also try jump starting it off a car if it fires right up probably battery. Then check alternator to see if its not killing the battery.

Last edited by cammedss2000; 11-15-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Up and running...damn battery
My dad just stopped by to jump me

Guess I flipped up the headlights a bit too often to clean under the "eye lids" and it drained the battery enough to where it couldn't start. Probably have to replace the battery in the not so distant future
Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Always start with the simple stuff. If you had bought a starter first, you'd be hating life right now.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Always start with the simple stuff. If you had bought a starter first, you'd be hating life right now.
+ 1
Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know its too late to say I agree, but I agree.
I had a battery short interally on me before. Everything worked fine before I parked it. When to start it and nothing, but my gauges would move all funky.

On another note, I have been told you can prevent this by dropping a few asprin in the battery (lead acid type of course).
Old 11-15-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys...I always jump to conclusions when it comes to my car.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:41 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't hate yourself for it-these cars are more than just getting from point A to point B like all the others in their daily-commute-coffins everyday; everything matters to us when something goes wrong...
Old 11-16-2010, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by myk
Don't hate yourself for it-these cars are more than just getting from point A to point B like all the others in their daily-commute-coffins everyday; everything matters to us when something goes wrong...
This is true, but it doesn't change the fact that the same basic principles of diagnostics apply. Always start with the basics.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

This is true, but it doesn't change the fact that the same basic principles of diagnostics apply. Always start with the basics.
What freaked me out was the radio and everything else working but not turning over.

One of the good things about freaking out is it often leads to buying new parts...when I thought the starter went, it sounded like a great time to drop a 402 in there
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It to me sound like the battery is low on voltage. The fast clicking you are is the starter trying to engage the flywheel/flex plate. Get a jump box/or put the battery on a charge. I am sure that is your problem. Being that you said that battery sat for a while, it prolly self discharged. If it is a Optima, advanced auto and auto zone will put it on a trickle charge for free. It take a while to trickle charge those batteries. So they may have it over night. Hope you figure it out, keep us posted.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that once, the clicking, and the battery was dead. I hooked it up to a charger for about 30 minutes and it fired right up. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

And never throw parts at a car without diagnostics...

Quick Reply: Car won't start