General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

will they total it after air bag deployment

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will they total it after air bag deployment

I got an 00 Z28 83k on it now I got in a minor accident but I hit a guys trailer hitch just right to throw off the airbags. Of course I need a new dash now new air bags air bag sensor and front bumper in front support and of course a windshield. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with an accident like this and what the outcome was?

Also if anyone has a dash or aig bags or front bumper and a left corner parking lamp. And are looking to sell please pm me
Old 11-21-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the replacement after air-bags are deployed is around 3k (roughly). Not sure if that does or doesn't include labor.

... In order for a car to be "totaled" by the insurance co. and DMV, the rule of thumb is; If the cost to repair the vehicle is 75% or greater of the vehicle's worth (KBB) then the vehicle is considered "totaled". ...
Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

I wouldn't think so unless they try and scam you and go by kbb instead of nada or edmunds. If they do total it get a hold of a lawyer and have him call the insurance company. It doesn't sound like there is enough damage for them to total it based on your description.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

friend pulled out in front of z71 pickup couple months ago, truck drover Over hood. lol tore up whole front cap. hood, fenders, nose, deployed both airbags, busted windshield..... Ins did Not total it!!!! I was amazed! 2000 z28, with a lot more miles than yours.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Airbags are ~$1000/ea. And the pass one is designed to shatter the windshield, so add that in there too. (If the pass gets ejected, they won't hit a solid windshield.)

I had a Cavalier back in the day and I got hit on the driver's side of the front bumper and both of my airbags needlessly deployed adding about $2500 worth of extra and needless damage....... The INS co totaled the car.. Car was originally bought about 6 mo earlier for about $5800.

But it really depends on the extent of the damage. The ins company only pays about 80% of what the VEH is worth.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-21-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Shouldnt total it, had a car at the body shop i worked at with over 100k on the clock and had to replace both airbags and didnt total. Shouldnt have anything to worry about.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Depends on the damage and how well the vehicle holds it's value. If it's a bump that set off the bags on lets say a Mercedes, no it shouldn't total it.. But if it's a 1995 LT1 Camaro with the same bump and both airbags deployed with the windshield broke, it will probably total it..
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

If you care to contact me to know more, please do. I can explain it easily though. If the repair cost is 70% of the retail value of your car, it will be a total loss. Your state laws may vary from MN, though. You may be able buy your car back. If the insurance company does total it, ask them what your buy back cost is. They will take this cost out of the amount of money they pay you. Once all that is done, its your car and money to do what you like. If there is lein on your car, the insurance company will pay the lein holder. If your owe more than your settlement pays, you will have to pay the lein holder the difference. If you owe less than your settlement pays, you will get the left over.

BTW - insurance companies are not out to screw anyone. They are forced to abide by laws and work with basic economics. Would you pay more than a car's value to repair it if it were not your car?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Teching In

BTW - I don't work for an insurance company. I manage for a body shop.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post up some pics?

Should be close eitherway.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

I picked up a passenger air bag and air bag module out of a 97 for 50 bucks thansks to somone on here might be able to get a firebird drivers air bag and steering wheel for 65 to replace that. Windshield should be covered under class coverage next is to find a dash and a bumper.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Also I am thinking of going after some after market headlights maybe if not I will just epoxy up the drivers headlight to hold it back in place where one of the adjustment tabs that is plastic broke when the bumper pushed it up and hit it. My hood and fenders are find the fenders are bowing just a lil bit but it should line back up with a new front bumper.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

did you get an estimate? if not, ask that shop theyll have a good idea.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

I am pieceing together some parts still hopefully getting a few things from themerv on here and picking up a free front bumper just will need to be preped and painted. I love LS1 tech ppl everyone is helping me get it back in shape.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Teching In

The insurance company is ridiculous with the cost of repairs, if the airbag deployed then you are really lucky if they do not total it.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in an accident a couple weeks ago in my 00 Z28 with 70k miles on it... It's looking like they will be totaling it. They said that the repairs before disassembling anything is over $10,000. I am fortunate enough to fully own the car, and kept it in such great shape. Some insurance companies do not use KBB, I was told mine would be based off of NADA. The NADA value for my car is $9,400 and I managed to keep all of the receipts for the aftermarket parts which I apparently will be reimbursed for. Just go through and look for your receipts just in case. I took over all of my receipts earlier yesterday... Then checked out an Arctic White WS6 later that day!

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

part of me hopes they total it so I can buy it back and own the car and the other part is hoping they dont total it and I can just make some money on it
Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

wonderful its totalled no I guess to figure out how much the buy back is because I have all the parts to fix it minus a windshield

Quick Reply: will they total it after air bag deployment