General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Graduation Present to myself... SRT-10 or WS6 car bought!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graduation Present to myself... SRT-10 or WS6 car bought!

Tech,

Well its been a while since I posted (except classifieds), but this year has been crazy to say the least. I fell in love, got engaged, took the lsat, applying to law school, and graduating college

I walk on the 10th!

I have the ability to upgrade vehicles at the moment, and am going to take the opportunity to do so. I am trading the corvette in (since it wont freaking sell) and have two options...

2005 Ram Srt-10 single cab, black - they are getting cheaper

2002 WS6, 6 speed, black

I feel like a truck is going to be helpful for the whole wedding/moving stuff, so thats my motivation for getting it

BUT, I have always wanted a trans-am and always just settled for the camaro or vette (both in auto!!!) because of the sweet deal I got on them.

I am not going to settle this time, but I am truly on the fence with this one.

Any ideas? Is the truck a mistake? Ive driven a car for years, will I miss it?

Last edited by jph2275; 12-01-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jph2275
Tech,

Well its been a while since I posted (except classifieds), but this year has been crazy to say the least. I fell in love, got engaged, took the lsat, applying to law school, and graduating college

I walk on the 10th!

I have the ability to upgrade vehicles at the moment, and am going to take the opportunity to do so. I am trading the corvette in (since it wont freaking sell) and have two options...

2002 WS6, 6 speed, black

I feel like a truck is going to be helpful for the whole wedding/moving stuff, so thats my motivation for getting it

BUT, I have always wanted a trans-am and always just settled for the camaro or vette (both in auto!!!) because of the sweet deal I got on them.

Well, you are about to get a slew of biased responses.

Here's mine: Get the WS6. You answered your own question in your post.

Do you really want to settle AGAIN ?

Buying the truck for 1 move is silly, you can rent/borrow for that. If you were going to be using it everyday for work that would be a different story.

P.S. I've driven, almost owned, and been in many Corvette's and don't get me wrong they are purely awesome, but nothing has tickled my fancy like the F body. There's just something more raw about them that is attractive, especially when you get infected by the performance parasite.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Haha yeah I figured there'd be some bias here

Ive always had a sick closet mopar affection and having had one of those "rumble bee" trucks in highschool, the SRT appeals to my sentimental side.

And yes I agree with you about the corvette, I always thought my automatic SS felt raw.... but I stopped by and drove the 6 speed WS6 the other day (has longtubes) and it changed my life. No. More. Automatics. Ever
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I like to go fast, both in a straight line and around corners...the truck isn't going to do either even as well as my chunky *** 30 year old Chevelle. Trans ams are among the best looking cars made in my opinion and I've loved them...they can also be made to handle great and go fast with minimal work.

No brainer for me. Never cared for the dodge truck build quality anyway, but I would say the same if we were talking about a Joe Gibbs supercharged SS truck or a Lightening.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

The SRT-10 no question there. Although those two rides are in entirely different price ranges. If you can afford the mopar, why not both? Unless its a stretch to get the ram than go with the WS6 so you have money left over to mod.

But if it were me, I'd buy the ram, and then look for a ws6 for $8k or $9k come spring time next year. Have the best of both worlds and there would be no regrets. Happy hunting either way
Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

WS6!!

If it were an extended cab or quad cab, and you needed a truck for work, i'd then say the truck. but Single Cab compared to a trans am.... you'll have more Room in a T/A!! Unless you want your groceries spilling over the bed. Quite sure the T/A will get Better mpg as well. that cover the DD side. as for just a Toy.... well, how the hell do you play with a Truck?? that's not 4x4....

GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!! I bought WS6 brand new in 01..... had to sale it few years later. 4 years later i Had to buy another!!!! I truck will NOT cure your itch. you Will Miss a car!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

A dodge vs a gm product?

Seriously?

Everyone I know with them absolutely despises them.

They are heavy, gas guzzling, wastes of metal.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Well I like to go fast, both in a straight line and around corners...the truck isn't going to do either even as well as my chunky *** 30 year old Chevelle. Trans ams are among the best looking cars made in my opinion and I've loved them...they can also be made to handle great and go fast with minimal work.

No brainer for me. Never cared for the dodge truck build quality anyway, but I would say the same if we were talking about a Joe Gibbs supercharged SS truck or a Lightening.
Agreed.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pure bias here, but no way I'd go with any truck over the 6spd WS6... Unless it was the new Raptor thing by ford haha, but i would never pay for it lol.

mid 20mpg vs >15
T/A is faster as they sit
6Spd
More fun in the curves

Those would be my justifications... Oh, and I'm sure parts for the Srt-10 arent as cheap either(purely an assumption)
Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,714 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Do you still have the Camaro?

At the moment, I have two F-bodies. One is a daily driver, the other is a garage queen. Although I love LS1 F-bodies very much, and I didn't "settle" for either, at times I wish I had a little more diversity in my collection. From that angle, it makes more sense to get the truck.

I've owned a WS6 T/A before, but I highly doubt I'd ever buy one again, as my tastes have changed a bit with age. If I ever went back to Pontiacs, it would only be a Formula or Formula WS6; but either way I still prefer the Camaros these days. And I would never buy anything with a manual, so that would put the car off my list for sure.

Having said all that, I probably wouldn't buy that truck either. I'd probably be looking at a Chevy/GMC truck or SUV.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Do you still have the Camaro?

At the moment, I have two F-bodies. One is a daily driver, the other is a garage queen. Although I love LS1 F-bodies very much, and I didn't "settle" for either, at times I wish I had a little more diversity in my collection. From that angle, it makes more sense to get the truck.

I've owned a WS6 T/A before, but I highly doubt I'd ever buy one again, as my tastes have changed a bit with age. If I ever went back to Pontiacs, it would only be a Formula or Formula WS6; but either way I still prefer the Camaros these days. And I would never buy anything with a manual, so that would put the car off my list for sure.

Having said all that, I probably wouldn't buy that truck either. I'd probably be looking at a Chevy/GMC truck or SUV.

You just took this thread and exploded it all over the place. Like 00 buck vs. pumpkin,

but I see where you're coming from.

I think it really comes down to 1) What do you "really" want 2) refer to 1
Old 11-23-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sell both of your cars... Buy both the WS6 and SRT-10.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you werent so against autos I coulda helped you out maybe, been half looking for a vette haha
Old 11-23-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2002 WS6 vs a Dodge truck?

WS6! WS6! WS6!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Damn, that's like comparing Jessica Beil to a fat chick!

One to show off, fun and sporty. The other, well, to haul your luggage and good for shade in the summer time.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

OP, you already have 2 LS vehicles. But, if the look of the WS6 is what you want, get it.

The SRT-10 is completely different beast. It's a blast to drive, but it's still a truck. They are very tail happy. And get pretty crappy mileage for a truck(it is a v-10! ). If I didn't have the need for a diesel, I would have one.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

WS6 no doubt. I saw an SRT-10 Ram in the showroom and I think I remember it getting 13MPG. Cant go wrong with an old f-body.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jph2275
Tech,

I walk on the 10th!

2002 WS6, 6 speed, black

a truck hands down..then turn the camaro into full blown race car!!!!!buy a trailer next
Old 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

normally id say get a ws6 buit isee you already have two cars.

how bout an srt10 viper?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
normally id say get a ws6 buit isee you already have two cars.
how bout an srt10 viper?
Agreed. If he didnt already have a SS, that would be one thing.. But you already have a pretty bad *** SS so my vote is for the SRT-10.

Quick Reply: Graduation Present to myself... SRT-10 or WS6 car bought!