General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

'Black box' removal and delete.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 'Black box' removal and delete.

I searched for quite a while and found no useful information. Also sorry if this is the wrong section.

Alright, so I have a 95 Camaro with a LS1. A/C is already gone. I will be doing heads/cam soon and want to clean the engine bay up more. I have been trying to read as much as I can on the removal of the black box from the bay but there has not been much consistent information.

I do NOT want to remove my dash. Some people say glove box only and it can be done. Is this true? I do not plan on saving anything so hacking is not a problem.

I would like to retain heat if possible. Just want to get rid of the excess engine bay junk. Any links to companies that sell block off plates? I found one on BMR's site. If anyone has pictures or writeup links it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i assume the "black box" your talking about is the one on the firewall on the passenger side for heat/ac. from what i understand, you just grind it down from under the hood and put the block-off plate over it. you can still retain heat.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought he was trying to remove the black box that records speeds and stuff (like on an airplane) for accidents that come in 01/02 F bodies.

Yes, I did this to my old IROC.

The black box contains the A/C core. The heater core is in the dash, it will stay.

As mentioned above, remove the cover, remove the other junk inside it.

With a dremel, cut the cover (the part that protrudes), leaving the "base" intact so it can be bolted up later. You can fiberglass over this cut away section.

or if you prefer, trace the piece over a piece of sheet metal and cut a new plate to go in its place.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Sounds fairly simple. I was reading threads saying that the head has to be off/dash needs removed. Glad it's not that big of a PITA.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd imagine it's still a headache if your doing it with the motor still in the car. do-able though.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did mine with the engine still in the car. i dremelled what i could, then just tore the rest of the box apart. removing the dash wasnt all that hard with the writeups on here

Quick Reply: 'Black box' removal and delete.