General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1,LS2,LS3.e.t.c. have VIN# ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1,LS2,LS3.e.t.c. have VIN# ?

Do all used LS1,LS2,LS3.e.t.c. have VIN# ?

Hey guys, trying to find out if any or all LS motors that were pulled out of wrecked,salvaged cars and trucks come with VIN number plate or stamp somewhere on the block.There is a swap out of 09 Escalade I came across somewhat semi-local and wouldn't want to end up with some stolen swap.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Eighth VIN should be the engine code. My 8th vin is G so, the G should be the V8. But the engines have a casting #, not a VIN (IIRC). Should be on the back of the engine near the top of the cylinder on the pass side.

The VIN is for the vehicle. Not sure how to cross reference the engine casting to what VIN it went to.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 12-14-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I'm just more concerned about buying something that was stolen and don't want any part of that,this guy always seems to have fresh LS 6.0,6.2 motor swaps in his garage.

So you're saying there is no way to find out what vehicle motor came from and tie it to a VIN#?If so, that sucks, cause I'd hate to spend $4k+ on a swap and have no idea where it came from and if anyone is looking for it

I just figured there is easy way to trace some sort of number,if he gets them off the block and I take it to a local police station to run the numbers
Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, you would never know. Its impossible to track. There are some ident numbers on the core but you won't be able to match the core itself to a specific vehicle.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elitecustombody
Thanks, I'm just more concerned about buying something that was stolen and don't want any part of that,this guy always seems to have fresh LS 6.0,6.2 motor swaps in his garage.

So you're saying there is no way to find out what vehicle motor came from and tie it to a VIN#?If so, that sucks, cause I'd hate to spend $4k+ on a swap and have no idea where it came from and if anyone is looking for it

I just figured there is easy way to trace some sort of number,if he gets them off the block and I take it to a local police station to run the numbers
Is it that company up in Michigan or whatever? I've heard a lot about that, good and bad.

Quick Reply: LS1,LS2,LS3.e.t.c. have VIN# ?