General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Next car
04-05 CTS-V
42.11%
05-06 GTO M6
36.84%
Wait couple years for 2010 Camaro SS M6
2.63%
02ish M3 or M5
7.89%
Other
10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Help with my next car

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing nice about the goat is there are some options for wheels and some outside stuff. For the V just planned on painting the wheels black, besides that it looks pretty good. Thought about the corevette option, but was hoping to stick with 4 seats with a 2 yr old and another due in march and the lady really disagrees with that choice. Just shooting for a nice interior and nice ride that is fast. I can't seem to think of any other cars to even look at that are fast enough for what i want and that are still in the price range with a stick anyways.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get the V man. Four doors four the kids and plenty of pickup if you're late for work.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Kinda sucks that the poll ended up in a tie between the two that I like the most lol. I do think the V is probably what I will shoot for. I like the whole 4 doors and performance along with sunroof and that its a cadi. Only time will tell i guess. Any other suggestions would be great.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i voted GTO.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

why are you worried about the rear end of a cts v? do you plan on modding your next vehicle? if so, you seriously need to take in account if you plan on modding your next vehicle? what is the sole purpose?

you need to give a little more info...

i say a cts v with the ls2 for a fun commuter
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Challenger,but not for 15k
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Teching In

My next car is probably gonna be driven 4-5 days a week leaving 2-3 days for my truck. Pretty much just use it to go to work or the store and some trips which is where 4 seats is a neccessity and 4 doors would be a bonus. I do some poker runs with it and wanted to go to the strip 3 or 4 times over the summer (that is where the V rear worries me a little). From what I understand if I am smart about how and when I get on it i shouldn't have too much to worry about if the original diff was replaced and I am just doing it for fun.

Last edited by sixspeed-z; 01-20-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Teching In

The only modding I plan on doing is probably exhaust on either, and shifter because both are kinda sloppy. Would like to maggie an LS2 or LS6 in the future but that is probably a ways away
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You basically are in the EXACT position as me. I change my mind everyday and have been considering the cars you list. Here's my situation.

Just sold my 03 Cobra, have a z06 that my father will be taking over once I get a new toy. So I've been there, done that with the Vette thing.

Thoughts:
Corvette: I think you should spend the money on a z06, you CAN find one for the price range. It may have to be an 01. I also am considering finding a C6 (yes they're out there for the price range, not base 05 either.

GTO: Eh. Would be happy to get back into an LS car (I really don't consider my Z much because it will always be here, with my father not selling it/switching cars with me) but I just can't learn to like the looks, even if it isn't an 04. Interior is NICE which I want (especially coming from my Cobra, ew!) Looks matter to me, and this car just doesn't do it. They are nice in their own right, but not the car for me.

CTS-V: Again, would be happy to get into an LS car again. But I only would want an 06-07 w/the LS2 and better rear end (not that I abuse my cars, I just like to avoid issues, and buying used, who knows what previous owner drives like). Also, I don't know if I want that stealthy of a car. I am trying to get the stealership I work at to get one (even an LS6 V) so I can see what it's about. If I see one for a good price, I'll move. Not going crazy looking for one though. I think this would be better as a daily driver, which is not what I am looking for.

M3: This is the only one I have been truly wanting, the E46. Great reviews, supposed to be awesome to drive (will be testing one Saturday). Stay away from the SMG. I know a lot of people don't love the looks, but I like them a lot (stock). This is my top car currently. I want something different. I've always liked these.

New Camaro: Just not feeling them, but to each their own. Why not get something now, sell it later? Just don't go overpaying, find a deal, and you'll make out just fine.

Good luck, hope you can stick to a decision better than me!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

I vote M3, if you want luxuary sport look no further. Mine has had no problems.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Cant loose with a CTS V either!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks 99 LS1, pretty much have the same veiwpoints as I have. The GTO inside is great but the outside is really lacking. The CTS V looks better to me but doesn't stand out crazy like to everyone but is still probably my choice i think. The C5 Z with just two seats isn't going to work right now anyways, maybe later on. The new Camaro is too big and looks too big. I parked my fiances 05 300 next to one at the store and it didn't look a lot bigger than the camaro, kinda off-putting for me. The BMW would be fun to drive but I am not sure about in a straight line, and don't sound as good as an LS engine. Don't have a lot of roadcourses or anything to really enjoy a beamer in South Dakota. I am leaning towards the V because If I get a GTO I have a feeling I would be going through this again in a couple years.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Teching In

I am pretty suprised the GTO has more votes than the CTS-V. Kinda expected it the other way around. Got me thinking the GTO might not be a horrible idea.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

i vote for the CTS-V 1st...sounds like the four doors would come in handy for you... however I do like the GTO also for the money and has decent back seats, and with the right wheels and stance it will look badass..

M3 is sick, there are a million around here in my area , i wouldnt mind owning one oneday, however after owning a Benz before i know parts are crazy $$$...and i dont know if u would find a nice one for $15k

also not sure if u are a import guy..but a Mitsubishi Evo 8 or a Suburu STI are both stupid fun/fast cars with four doors,,,, with around 40 -50 k they go for $15-$18 gs...personally i'd have one of those before a M3
Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Thought about an EVO 8. Hard to go from V8's to turbo'd 4's tho. Hard to beat what they can do in a strait line and around the twisties. Thanks for the suggestion. I really need to stop watchin car videos online, still have 2-3 months of snow and cold here so its kinda depressing.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Teching In

First I would like to thank everyone who participated. I was pretty close to deciding to get a V but found another thread with some pics of some nice looking GTO's and am now confused again.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...shape-gto.html
Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I have an '04 GTO, and an 11 month old daughter. The rear facing car seat with base fits in the back just fine, and I'm sure the forward facing one will fit fine as well. The only downside to it are the doors. They're much shorter than the f-body ones, so getting into the back is more of a magic trick, but once you're back there, there's a ton of leg room. I voted for the GTO because I love mine, it's cheaper than the V, and, in my opinion, the interior is nicer than the V, especially with the color matched leather (I have a cosmos purple one). I am, however, looking at the V now, since my daughter is getting too big to fit in the back seat of the TA, and I seriously doubt that a full size front facing car seat will fit back there.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Teching In

It looks like I am going to go with a 300c SRT8 this summer. I have test drove and loved the feel of it and the inside. The only thing it is missing is an M6. I'm gonna sell my fiance's 300 touring and get the SRT8 for both of us. It'll be nice to have a fun car to drive yet only having to keep up on my truck, her van, and a car instead of 4 total vehicles. And can still think about sellin the house and getting a different house this way. Any opinions?