General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would you blatantly call someone out on a clone WS6/SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur on not saying anything unless they are being a douchebag and claiming it's a real car. Hell my car is a formula with a trans am wing and decklid, doesn't mean I claim it's a trans am......... I just got it cause I like the looks of it.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

It kind of bugs me when people do that kind of stuff, but then again it is their car. I saw a guy just last week with a RAM 1500 who put a nissan GTR badge in front of the dodge emblem. And I work with a guy that put one of those turbo badges from autozone on his dodge grand caravan. Those kind of people bug me.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I say as long as theyre not trying to sell it as a WS6 or a SS i have no problem with it
Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
I was feeling like I wanted to pull up next to him and lecture him,
Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Someone does that to me and they're getting their *** beat. Who the **** do you think you are to even think of this ****? Let alone come home or where ever and make a post on the internet about it. You're the bigger idiot.
I was feeling like I wanted to pull up next to him and lecture him, but I was thinking "It's his car, so he can do whatever the hell he's wants to it."

Easy there speed racer. Way to leave out the entire quote Junior. People can put Cobra emblems on their **** for all I care, it's their car, let them drive it into a brick wall or whatever. But let me get this straight, somebody asks you about your car and if you feel like the question is derogatory towards you or insinuating your car is not a real SS "they're getting their *** beat"? Wow, bet you're a hit at the local car meets.

I'm simply asking if you call people out if they are passing it off as something it's not. I agree with all the above posts that if someone is trying to sell it as a real WS6/SS, then yeah, it's not right and should be stopped. But if someone at a show or meet is calling it a WS6, like "Yeah, it's a 98 WS6 that I put headers on, blah,blah,blah..." when it's not.

I had a guy last week tell me his brother had a 89 Firebird with a 350 and a 6 speed FROM THE FACTORY. I tried to tell him there was no Bird with a factory 6 speed until the 91 Firehawk and even then, there only 6 I believe that year and only 35 maybe in 1992. Yet he kept telling me I was wrong. What do you do? Just agree? Call him out further?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its their car. WGAF what they do with it as long as it doesnt affect me.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

worry about your own ****
Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion is that you should be proud of what you have. If you have a Z28 or an SS then leave it that way, because at the end of the day you will always look stupid when a guru comes up and asks if it's real. If you can't afford a WS6 or an SS then be proud of what you can afford, don't try and make your car into a fake one, otherwise we are no better than these eggroll turd-box ricer cars running around with V-Tec and GTR stickers.. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Easy there speed racer. Way to leave out the entire quote Junior. People can put Cobra emblems on their **** for all I care, it's their car, let them drive it into a brick wall or whatever. But let me get this straight, somebody asks you about your car and if you feel like the question is derogatory towards you or insinuating your car is not a real SS "they're getting their *** beat"? Wow, bet you're a hit at the local car meets.

I'm simply asking if you call people out if they are passing it off as something it's not. I agree with all the above posts that if someone is trying to sell it as a real WS6/SS, then yeah, it's not right and should be stopped. But if someone at a show or meet is calling it a WS6, like "Yeah, it's a 98 WS6 that I put headers on, blah,blah,blah..." when it's not.

I had a guy last week tell me his brother had a 89 Firebird with a 350 and a 6 speed FROM THE FACTORY. I tried to tell him there was no Bird with a factory 6 speed until the 91 Firehawk and even then, there only 6 I believe that year and only 35 maybe in 1992. Yet he kept telling me I was wrong. What do you do? Just agree? Call him out further?

I simply don't give a **** about starting an arguement just so I can walk off saying 'I'm right'. How do you want to feel when you walk away from that?

You're not going to head the movement that outlaws people from talking stupid **** and putting dumb **** on their cars. So whats your goal? It's just to argue who's right and who's wrong. One day you'll realize it's pointless and stop being an ******* (hopefully).

I stopped going to local car meets and I think it was because of guys like you. Back in '88 when you were 11 car meets weren't full of crying little bitches whining about stickers, badges, parts that aren't factory, etc.
Back then if you said you had a 1983 camaro with a factory installed 454 and 5 speed you had to go out to the back road and prove it. Prove what? That you act like a dumbass talking **** but have the fastest car out there. No arguement, nothing. You've got an '83 with a factory 454? Lets go prove it.

And yes I do go to meets like once a year. I go in my Z28 thats a clone of my SS, MY SS, and yes it has the Z28 badges on it still, and no, no one ever says **** to me about it.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

What do I do? Just walk away. Find some people that know their ****. The people at my local meet know what they're talking about for the most part.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Saw a LS1 TA a couple of days ago driving down the road with a stock flat hood, 16" wheels and a WS6 badge on the back. I was feeling like I wanted to pull up next to him and lecture him, but I was thinking "It's his car, so he can do whatever the hell he's wants to it."

Would you blatantly strike up a conversation then call somebody out at a car meet or car show who throws SS or WS6 badges on a non-SS/WS6 car or just play it off?
Who really gives a ****, its their car not yours. Why are you so worried about someone elses car? If ppl want to do this, then let them do it. Like lemons12 said, the car couldve been wrecked and he just put on a stock formula/trans am hood on there. Then you wouldve looked stupid. Now if there trying to sell it as something its not. Then yea, call them out on it but other then that. You shouldnt be so worried about that ****, its not like a Ws6/SS is any better. Your really just getting appearance upgrades anyways.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

i bought my 98 z28 that was cloned as a 35th ann.
people always ask if that is my ann. ss and i tell them no thats
my 98 z28. get a lot of pissed off people but oh well. i plan to
keep the hood and spoiler, but i wont be puttin the decals on
after its painted. BTW anyone want a new set of 35 ann. stripes?
PM me.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by ReCoil
If you have a Z28 or an SS then leave it that way, because at the end of the day you will always look stupid when a guru comes up and asks if it's real.
Why would you look stupid for having a clone? Only time you'd look stupid is if you claim that the car is originally something that it clearly wasn't.

Originally Posted by ReCoil
If you can't afford a WS6 or an SS then be proud of what you can afford, don't try and make your car into a fake one, otherwise we are no better than these eggroll turd-box ricer cars running around with V-Tec and GTR stickers.. Just my $0.02.
1) Who says it's all about money? I bought a WS6 brand new, I've also bought Z28s brand new and used. At this point, they are all 9+ year old used cars, so your selection is limited. For some people, color, condition, certain options, and location might be more important than price OR trim level. I'd personally much rather have a mint, low mile Z28 with the colors and options that I want rather than a high mile, fair-to-poor condition SS. Who cares if it's an "original SS"? They aren't any faster, or built any better. Same car, different hood/spoiler/wheels.

2) Ricers try to pose their cars as being higher performance than they actually are, using stickers and such. If you put SS body parts and badges on a Z28, you are not making it appear to be any more high performance than it already was, since they share the exact same drivetrains in the first place. So frankly I don't see the connection here.

Originally Posted by msydow
i bought my 98 z28 that was cloned as a 35th ann.
people always ask if that is my ann. ss and i tell them no thats
my 98 z28. get a lot of pissed off people but oh well.
So people get "pissed off" that you have a clone, and that you admit it? LOL. Those people are losers, and should be ignored.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-16-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

only if its a V6 using v8 badges.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll admit, I am one of those dumbasses. I put "SS" badges from a newer SSSilverado on my 82 Silverado(has a LQ4 in it and runs 11's). A few guys have "called me out" about it and also said they didn't like it and that Chevy never made a "SS" truck like that. I do feel stupid now for putting them on there, but at the time it seemed like it would be cool. I never claimed it was a real SS I just felt like my truck represented what the "SS" heritage was all about. I'd take them off, but I'm afraid they would take the paint with'em. So, I apologize if I offend anyone with my "SS" badges.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Team, in your case I would say it is ok.. your truck can back it up. If it was stock I would say no way. as long as you always tell people why you put them on.

Also.. use some fishing wire and get between the emblem and paint. I'm assuming you used 3m tape to apply it. You should be fine. when it comes off just rub off what you can and then use some adhesive removed for the rest.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't intentionally create any type of altercation for myself like that. The only time it could rightfully be questioned is if you were the buyer, and the seller wasn't being honest.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blk95formula
I say as long as theyre not trying to sell it as a WS6 or a SS i have no problem with it
Exactly. As long as they aren't gaining monetarily from the deception or winning shows as a direct result of the cars perceived pedigree, who cares. Now if they built a clone and "generated" documentation etc., etc., for that explicit purpose, then hell yeah you call them on it. As always, its buyer beware.

My Formula has the hood, the wheels, the badge etc., so it looks the part, but i would never sell it as such without disclosing those facts.

I have a feeling there are more 69 Z28's with JL8 disc brakes, cross ram setups etc. etc. and Yenko's and ZL-1's now than ever existed back in 1969. I can only imagine how many fakes have been passed on as real, only to be found out later.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

lets see some conversion pics.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its retarded but it's really not that big of a deal.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'd personally much rather have a mint, low mile Z28 with the colors and options that I want rather than a high mile, fair-to-poor condition SS. Who cares if it's an "original SS"? They aren't any faster, or built any better. Same car, different hood/spoiler/wheels.
Then why would you try and make it look like an SS, if it's the exact Z28 you want? Personally, I think it's more classy to just be proud of what you have instead of making it a clone.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Ricers try to pose their cars as being higher performance than they actually are, using stickers and such. If you put SS body parts and badges on a Z28, you are not making it appear to be any more high performance than it already was, since they share the exact same drivetrains in the first place. So frankly I don't see the connection here.
You'd be right if all SS packages were just the base [hood and wing], however my 2002 SS for instance was optioned with the SLP 345hp package, which did come with many extras that probably made it slightly faster and definitely more rare. I am proud that I searched high and low to find an all original car with all the options and everything just the way I want. So if it makes me a snob or something to hold my car above a car that is a fake, then so be it. It's just my opinion, one that is shared by many collectors who pay 3-4 times the price at auction for the prestige of an original instead of a clone or resto-mod.

I just don't see the point of making your car look like something it's not. Even if you never claim that it is original, you still look like a dork spending money to make your car a fake. Oh well, like has been stated more than enough in this post, it's your car, do whatever you want to it.

Quick Reply: Would you blatantly call someone out on a clone WS6/SS?