General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would you blatantly call someone out on a clone WS6/SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by binks0678
yo mumbles how far are you from the MO border?
I'm about 80 miles from the IA/MO border. If you're familiar with where Ottumwa, IA is, we're about 40 minutes northeast of there.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevbon
Haha yeah man!! Every time that someone mentions my car, they say something like, "Don't you drive the firebird?" I reply, "Yeah the Trans Am." That is usually followed by, "Aren't they the same thing?" You aren't the only one who gets sick of that conversation!!
I usually get, "Nice T/A!"

To which I reply, "Thanks. Its a Firebird."

And their response is,"Oh, same thing."

At that point, I decide whether they're worth arguing with, or I just roll my eyes.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say I don't like when people just put the badges and nothing else, like in the OP's post where he had the WS6 badge but not the right hood or anything. If you're going to make a clone, make the whole thing a clone. And that includes the performance factor although since we're talking 4th gens that doesn't mean anything. My 70 is an SS clone (bought it that way) but it has the stock motor in it (was told base 350 but i swear it feels like a 307). I'm working on changing that part now.
Either way I wouldn't say anything, especially to some random person on the street since you never know the full story and they do. I was in a parking lot a while back, just getting ready to climb into my 02 SS, when some idiots in a newer charger drive by, and as they do the idiot passenger yells "that's not a real SS!" and they drive away like they were badasses... I wish they would've stayed around to talk about it so I could have asked them how they knew that the car I got new in 02 was not a real SS and I didn't.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO what we have to really define is what makes a Camaro a SS.

Is it the Vin number?
Is it the hood, spoiler, and wheels?

Since all cars have Vin I personally rule that out.
This means that hood, spoiler, and wheels are the difference between a Z28 Camaro, and a SS Camaro.

I mean, if someone puts the EXACT same SS parts onto a Z28....the Z28 has lost its identity and is now a SS.

In my head Z28 was top dog. Grew up with a 69 Z28 in my life so I believe that has warped me. My car is a Z28 and I am glad it is. I am throwing SS hood and spoiler on because it looks better IMO, but I would never want to have SS on my fender.

SS is nothing more than a marketing term for "extra profit"
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Saw a LS1 TA a couple of days ago driving down the road with a stock flat hood, 16" wheels and a WS6 badge on the back. I was feeling like I wanted to pull up next to him and lecture him, but I was thinking "It's his car, so he can do whatever the hell he's wants to it."

Would you blatantly strike up a conversation then call somebody out at a car meet or car show who throws SS or WS6 badges on a non-SS/WS6 car or just play it off?
Says the guy with a WS6 hood on a base Trans-am. How moronic.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Says the guy with a WS6 hood on a base Trans-am. How moronic.
Not an OEM WS6 hood there Slick. Once glance at it and everyone who knows their **** knows it's not a factory hood. Cowl is 1" taller in the back and it doesn't have the indentations around the nostrils. Once again someone else who can't spot ****. When putting a hood on my car I was dead set against putting an OEM WS6 hood it, since it's not a WS6. It's the aftermarket hoods and SS Spoilers that "aren't quite right" that gives away the clone. I have no badges on my car implying it's a WS6.

That's what kills me the most about clones. Somebody slaps WS6/SS emblems on but puts on aftermarket hood and spoiler (SS) that sticks WAY out and can be spotted by a true enthusist a mile away.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

God some of you guys focus on ******* emblems too much.

Lol who cares if they have oem, aftermarket, etc jeese it's their car let them enjoy it. The only time it should matter is if they are trying to sell it for more money by calling it something it isn't.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

^^^^^ Someone **** in your wheaties lately.......

WOW

Last edited by 4get gto; 02-05-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: the one above me got deleted
Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Lol not really I'm just laughing at all these people who get their panties in a wad cause someone modified their car the way they like it.

It's so funny how worked up everyone gets.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Agree.....^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Not an OEM WS6 hood there Slick. Once glance at it and everyone who knows their **** knows it's not a factory hood. Cowl is 1" taller in the back and it doesn't have the indentations around the nostrils. Once again someone else who can't spot ****. When putting a hood on my car I was dead set against putting an OEM WS6 hood it, since it's not a WS6. It's the aftermarket hoods and SS Spoilers that "aren't quite right" that gives away the clone. I have no badges on my car implying it's a WS6.

That's what kills me the most about clones. Somebody slaps WS6/SS emblems on but puts on aftermarket hood and spoiler (SS) that sticks WAY out and can be spotted by a true enthusist a mile away.
If you were happy with your base T/A you would have left the stock, flat hood on it right? Instead of putting on an imposter of a WS6 hood laced even with the factory style "ram-air" badges and saying oh, mine is 1" taller so it doesn't count. That's no different than someone doing an SS hood with badges in book. Shouldn't bother you or anyone else one bit in my book.

Last edited by Redfire 03; 02-05-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

I am currently going to purchase an oem ws6 hood and I am going to put it on my t/a since the fitment is superior to the aftermarket ripoff's (I have nothing against them) and it's my favorite style hood.

My whole car is about to be painted, I'm going to have the bumper painted like the ceta bumper, stripes on the side scoops of the hood like the anniversary edition I believe, the t/a emblems and rubber sides on my doors and side of my car removed, and now
Seeing all this i may buy a ws6 emblem for the hell of it.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dutinsss
if they were talking it up like it was a real SS/WS6 then sure i would. but if not, who cares.
this ^^

Originally Posted by David21
... if they are trying to sell it for more money by calling it something it isn't.
and this
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
If you were happy with your base T/A you would have left the stock, flat hood on it right? Instead of putting on an imposter of a WS6 hood laced even with the factory style "ram-air" badges and saying oh, mine is 1" taller so it doesn't count. That's no different than someone doing an SS hood with badges in book. Shouldn't bother you or anyone else one bit in my book.
Yeah, the OPs got a fake *** WS6 hood on his regular Firebird. Im like WTF? lol
Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a WS6 hood on my base Trans Am whats the problem with that? It looks more aggressive and I like it that way (nostrils are functional of course). My V6 Camaro has a Z28 front sway bar, differential, catback, and steering rack - am I a poser? I think its fine to add on parts from a higher model car to make it the way you want. I don't, however, agree with fake badging, since the badging denotes a dealer/manufacturer installed package that the car clearly doesn't have. But, as its been stated for six pages - to each his own and I would never blatantly disrespect someone like that on the street... Hell, what if they are a tech taking a car for a test drive after a repair or its the guys brother borrowing the car? You'd look like more of a tool calling him out than you would falsly badging your own ride.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Nope your a ricer, yenkos are rice too putting motors in cars that didn't come with them. Hotrodders all ricers putting different parts on their cars from upgraded models to other makes and models. All rice.

I think I've made my point lmao, now who wants panda express?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
I have a WS6 hood on my base Trans Am whats the problem with that? It looks more aggressive and I like it that way (nostrils are functional of course). My V6 Camaro has a Z28 front sway bar, differential, catback, and steering rack - am I a poser? I think its fine to add on parts from a higher model car to make it the way you want. I don't, however, agree with fake badging, since the badging denotes a dealer/manufacturer installed package that the car clearly doesn't have. But, as its been stated for six pages - to each his own and I would never blatantly disrespect someone like that on the street... Hell, what if they are a tech taking a car for a test drive after a repair or its the guys brother borrowing the car? You'd look like more of a tool calling him out than you would falsly badging your own ride.
Basically that.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

All the LS1 F-bodies are rice and/or posers. Period. Why? Because GM stole the LS1 from the car it was designed for ('97 C5) and dropped it into Camaros and Firebirds.

How dare they use parts from another car on an F-body.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
All the LS1 F-bodies are rice and/or posers. Period. Why? Because GM stole the LS1 from the car it was designed for ('97 C5) and dropped it into Camaros and Firebirds.

How dare they use parts from another car on an F-body.
Seriously! Freaking gm and their ricer bs!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Saw a LS1 TA a couple of days ago driving down the road with a stock flat hood, 16" wheels and a WS6 badge on the back. I was feeling like I wanted to pull up next to him and lecture him, but I was thinking "It's his car, so he can do whatever the hell he's wants to it."

Would you blatantly strike up a conversation then call somebody out at a car meet or car show who throws SS or WS6 badges on a non-SS/WS6 car or just play it off?
If in the spirit of camaraderie, while appreciating said automobile, no.

But if he were trying to pass it off as such, while negotiating a purchase, yes! Vehemently!

Quick Reply: Would you blatantly call someone out on a clone WS6/SS?