General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

whats the best cam for my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011 | 01:35 PM
Teching In

Default whats the best cam for my car?

I swear this thread title and all similar titles are making me sick!!! if you can make enough money to afford a camaro and put a cam in it, or heads, or whatever else you are probably smart enough to read a sticky at the top of a page. people post this stupid question over and over and over on this board. there is a sticky there for a reason. taking a simple 5 minutes to educate yourself would keep you from posting something that you could have answered yourself. sorry but how many times can we beat a dead horse to death before using the stickys or a darn search function around here!

Post in this thread if you approve this rant
Old 01-28-2011 | 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

lots of repetitive **** on this site. ls6 intake questions are real ******* old.

i just avoid it as much as possible.
Old 01-28-2011 | 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

just wondering

What is the best cam for my car?
Old 01-28-2011 | 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I do agree in principle. Any time I'm trying to learn about something new-to-me (not just car related, anything really), my first step is to always look around for basic info. This allows one to ask more detailed and intelligent questions about any topic, and it also allows one to better understand the answers received.

But having said that, not everyone is the same. Some people don't want to research much, and would rather look for the quick advice (which may or may not be good advice). It's a gamble, but it's their chosen method.

In terms of thread regulation, I do lock some super repetitive threads, especially if the topic is flame bait (i.e. "which trans type should I get?") and/or generates a lot of incorrect info and opinion based responses, often presented as fact, that can be misleading or wrong (i.e. "which is faster, Z28 or SS?"). However, if the entire LS1 Tech staff locked all threads of every repetitive topic, then about 50% of the new threads opened on this site would be closed.
Old 01-28-2011 | 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

this is a general LSX DISCUSSION?
Old 01-28-2011 | 07:40 PM
Teching In

i agree. i research a whole lot more on here than i actually post.
Old 01-28-2011 | 08:41 PM
Teching In

i originally posted it in the lounge because it was just a rant, but it got moved here, i guess i miss-understood the "lounges" mission. i read the sticky about the posting guidelines and i thought that was the best place for it but it was moved here
Old 01-28-2011 | 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

I couldnt agree with you more, whats even worse is when people post "whats the best exhaust for my car I have a 2002 firehawk that is one of six with supper low miles" Which doesnt even matter, a 2002 firehawk is going to sound the same as a Z/28 with no options. But yea, I wish people would do a little research before posting the same questions, especially when people just join and post a generic question.
Old 01-28-2011 | 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

research has it's merits, but i think alot of fellas just want to ask from those who've "been there, done that"....not making excuses for them, this is just how i was.....up until about a year ago, i didn't even know what a forum or a sticky was, and i certainly didn't take the time to learn how to navigate this site before i started asking bonehead questions.
Old 01-28-2011 | 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jc98ss
research has it's merits, but i think alot of fellas just want to ask from those who've "been there, done that"....not making excuses for them, this is just how i was.....up until about a year ago, i didn't even know what a forum or a sticky was, and i certainly didn't take the time to learn how to navigate this site before i started asking bonehead questions.
Thats true but I think the point the OP was making is that if you search for general questions like "what kind of cam should I get" or "what catback is the best" that if you search you will find 20 threads with 10 pages of responses with people that have been there and done that. Now over time certain things change but its not like every week theres a new cam or exhaust out for our cars anymore. And honestly I find it more beneficial to just search because I dont have to wait for a response. But I see what your saying people join and ask want to ask their specific questions before they really understand how to navigate the site which is why they make new threads.

Either way I have no problem helping out people with "new" questions because I learned a ton from this site and am happy to return the favor, but every now and then someone will nicely tell them that they should try a search or read the stickys and the OP complains about them not contributing when in fact they are if they would just listen.
Old 02-03-2011 | 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys I don't mean to hijack, but what would be the best cam for my daily driver? Jk
Old 02-03-2011 | 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Guys, I have a 1999 V6 firebird i use as a daily driver, what does a cam do? I heard the best company for it is called catback, and you just bolt it between the two tire towers and it helps with your high end engine breathing and paired with my K&N filter (good for about 25 hp fyi) can drop my quarter mile times at least 5 seconds, then i can use NAWS (sp?) to get into the 8's. I also heard Flowmaster makes great tail-light covers. Thanks for the input guys!
H0NaZ 4 L1f3!

Last edited by BrdOPry; 02-03-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: this comment is sheer sarcasm, only a fool would take it any other way
Old 02-03-2011 | 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrdOPry
Guys, I have a 1999 V6 firebird i use as a daily driver, what does a cam do? I heard the best company for it is called catback, and you just bolt it between the two shock towers and it helps with your high end engine breathing and paired with my K&N filter (good for about 25 hp fyi) can drop my quarter mile times at least 5 seconds, then i can use NAWS (sp?) to get into the 8's. I also heard Flowmaster makes great tail-light covers. Thanks for the input guys!
H0NaZ 4 L1f3!
:s tupid:
I see way too much **** like this floating around, anyone claiming that there K&N nets them anything above MAYBE 2-4 hp (IF THAT) should be banned and slapped repeatedly with a long black piece of rubber, while they read EVERY sticky on the board before they even think about posting, and THEN use the search bar before starting another "how do i put on an LS6 intake/ what gain will i see?" thread.

Last edited by BrdOPry; 02-03-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2011 | 08:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by msd98ss
i agree. i research a whole lot more on here than i actually post.
Same here. I'll look around for my answer a bit before I ask questions.
Old 02-03-2011 | 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

WAIT.......is my new smooth bellow worth 5-10 rwhp ??????????
Old 02-03-2011 | 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I gained 25hp from my tornado.
Old 02-03-2011 | 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

lock this **** ROFL.
Old 02-03-2011 | 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If there were no reposts it would be dead in here.
If I'm sitting around bored, I'd rather read the same question from different people than have nothing at all.

And why is the guy with 21 posts bitching about this???
Old 02-03-2011 | 10:23 PM
Launching!

Some guys are just excited about their car,
And want to bounce idea's off other Guy's

Also they may want to know what the Latest off the shelf Boutique cam is,

And what kind of results it's getting,

In any case it's all good,

I take it as a compliment that they think so highly of the members here as to ask for Advise on which cam to use

LS1Tech has a very good reputation *
Old 02-03-2011 | 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vette0009
Some guys are just excited about their car,
And want to bounce idea's off other Guy's

Also they may want to know what the Latest off the shelf Boutique cam is,

And what kind of results it's getting,

In any case it's all good,

I take it as a compliment that they think so highly of the members here as to ask for Advise on which cam to use

LS1Tech has a very good reputation *
^ This...If someone wants to post something or ask something that's been beaten to death, then so what. If you don't care to offer advice, then move along. It really is that simple. I'm sure people like Sam Strano have given the same advice over and over, but they don't care because they don't mind helping people even if those people are too lazy to research through posts that are 5 years old.