General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help with title! >:O

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011 | 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Default Help with title! >:O

heres my situation.

I purchased my 2000 trans am from an individual about 2 1/2-3 weeks ago. He had a loan on the carr, so I did not receive a title that day. The car was in ohio, and i drove form indiana to pick it up. Now he said that he mailed the title to me this past wednesday, and i still have not received it. It should have taken 2 days at the most. I got ahold of him yesterday and he said that he would apply for a duplicate title today, and i havent heard from him all day nor can i get ahold of him. Also, in ohio, you go to the BMV, and they will print you one out on the spot so you can mail it immediately. I know this becauseI called their BMV and checked to see how it works. I also called the bank where he financed the vehicle from and they verified that there is no longer a loan on the vehicle. Now, we wrote up a bill of sale, i wrote down all his information, took a picture of his drivers license, I know the phone number and know where he works since thats where i picked up the car from. He is in the military and is going to school. Also i have the registration receipt in the glove box of the car from 2010 when he registered the vehicle and it has his dads (im assuming) name on it also. so i have alllll this information. Either the title legitimately got lost in the mail, or he is a very bad procrastinator. What do I need to do? A title is kinda useless without the vehicle so i dont understand why he would purposely keep it if thats what he is doing. Especially after giving me all the information that i wanted about him... So what should i do? am i over reacting? should i wait it out granted we under a blizzard warning now, eveon though we werent last week. Call the police in his town. Can I apply for a lost title since he supposedly signed the title over to me and it got lost in the mail?

Thanks for the help, this is getting frustrating...
Old 02-01-2011 | 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by allout06
heres my situation.

I purchased my 2000 trans am from an individual about 2 1/2-3 weeks ago. He had a loan on the carr, so I did not receive a title that day. The car was in ohio, and i drove form indiana to pick it up. Now he said that he mailed the title to me this past wednesday, and i still have not received it. It should have taken 2 days at the most. I got ahold of him yesterday and he said that he would apply for a duplicate title today, and i havent heard from him all day nor can i get ahold of him. Also, in ohio, you go to the BMV, and they will print you one out on the spot so you can mail it immediately. I know this becauseI called their BMV and checked to see how it works. I also called the bank where he financed the vehicle from and they verified that there is no longer a loan on the vehicle. Now, we wrote up a bill of sale, i wrote down all his information, took a picture of his drivers license, I know the phone number and know where he works since thats where i picked up the car from. He is in the military and is going to school. Also i have the registration receipt in the glove box of the car from 2010 when he registered the vehicle and it has his dads (im assuming) name on it also. so i have alllll this information. Either the title legitimately got lost in the mail, or he is a very bad procrastinator. What do I need to do? A title is kinda useless without the vehicle so i dont understand why he would purposely keep it if thats what he is doing. Especially after giving me all the information that i wanted about him... So what should i do? am i over reacting? should i wait it out granted we under a blizzard warning now, eveon though we werent last week. Call the police in his town. Can I apply for a lost title since he supposedly signed the title over to me and it got lost in the mail?

Thanks for the help, this is getting frustrating...
You have all the right to be panicky....I would definately keep it locked up in a garage in case he tries to pick it up or something..You just never no people are shady these days...Good luck hope everything works out and let us know what happens. matt
Old 02-01-2011 | 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe its just late getting to you. I would say if you don't get it by Friday then I would be worried. It's pretty easy and quick to get a new title. I've done it before. Hopefully he just sent it out late.
Old 02-01-2011 | 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

he finally got ahold of me earlier, and said he was at base helping with ice removal and he didnt have his phone on him. he said the dmv closed today so he couldnt go get the new title. i called the ohio dmv again before he texted me that and they were closed. so i told him to do it thursday since they are closed tomorrow and he said ok... fingers crossed, he couldnt get it, the battery is dead lol.... and my brothers car i in front of it, and i dont think he'll make it anywhere in 10-15 inches of snow lol
Old 02-01-2011 | 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

have it over nighted to you as soon as he gets it.
Old 02-01-2011 | 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Yea that's what Imma do so I'll get it next day no matter what. I gotta register the car in a week so it better be here.
Old 02-01-2011 | 11:18 PM
Teching In

damn man. i hope all goes well. i'd be worried too
Old 02-04-2011 | 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Little update

Talked to him on Thursday and he said he was at the military base all day so he didn't get around to going to the license branch. Ok fine, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I said, I know it won't do anygoo goin on eednesay cause the damn bmv is closed cause of the snow so I told him to go on Thursday and get a duplicate title and overnight it to me. Their bmv told me he can get a new title the same day. He said he would do that. So yesterday rolls around and I text him first thing in the morning when I got off work. I said don't forget to over night that title to me and try to get a tracking number or take a picture of the title for me. I went to bed. I then texted him at 5:01p, 6:23p, and 9:25p I also called him at 6:21p, 8:30p, 9:15p, and 10:03p. Not a single response or answer. if the title doesn't show up. I have no idea what to do. Call the Dayton, Oh police department? Have a lawyer call and leave him a message? Try to scare him with the law? Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2011 | 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Talked to him on Tuesday is what I meant at the beginning of the post.
Old 02-04-2011 | 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Good heavens! The guy is in the military and may not have the opportunity. You are calling way too much! Chill out for a day or two. Nothing is going to change the situation, whether it be today or Monday. If nothing by Monday evening, call again and see what is up. If worse comes to worse and you have had no contact, do you have any info on the base he is located at? One call to someone rather 'official' may expedite the situation. The military doesn't like 'civilian' issues hanging with their personnel.
Old 02-04-2011 | 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Update.

He just texted me and he said he mailed it yesterday and it should b here today or tomorrow. He said he lost his phone and didn't have my number until his boss gave it to him ( I called where he worked and talked to his boss). I told him I'll let him know when I get the title and aid sry for being annoying but inwas getting nervous. And he said he's very sorry and that'd he would of done the same thing if he were me. So hopefully it'll b here today
Old 02-04-2011 | 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A good rule of thumb when buying a vehicle No title No money! If there is a lein on it go to the bank and complete the sale/payoff all at once and walk out with the title. Not saying your guy is a conartist but if the title has his name on it he owns the car not you.
Old 02-04-2011 | 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

ea, i normally do that. But it was a friday night, it was supposed to snow that weekend and i work all through out the week and he already to the car off craigslist cause he said hed hold it for me. and he did, for a whole week. So i figured id get a bill of sale, take a witness with me and i got a picture of his drivers license, work number, home number, his banks phone number everything i could think of. And i just kinda of judged him by the way he dressed and and acted and his character.....so i went out on a limb and trusted him. Ill know in a few hours if i have the title...Its bed time for me...
Old 02-04-2011 | 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I sure hope you get the title and everything works out for you but you really do need to be smarter next time. For one, how do you know the title isn't salvaged or rebuilt if you haven't seen it? Hopefully it is a clean title. There are alot of shady people around and that's just a chance I wouldn't take.
Old 02-04-2011 | 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

He said it's a clean title and he bought the car from a dealer. I'll kno here in a bit or tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2011 | 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

I hope you get the title, but because no one else is saying it and I tend to be very blatantly honest.. your a idiot for buying a car without a title, if he didn't have the title then to bad, no money. I have bought cars with a loan, lien, whatever on them at the bank before. What you should have done is talked to him and had the bank get the title ready for when you went to pay the loan off. Then, the bank would physically hand YOU the title, and boom, your done the same day.

Chances are he's just busy and your just worried alot (I would be to if I did something this stupid though lol) you'll probably get it soon and everything will be fine. Give it till next week and see what happens.
Old 02-04-2011 | 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Well the way i see it if you really wanted to get the title asap you should have hung around with him and got everything done that day. One thing i noticed that he was not going to screw you over that stuck out to me was the way he paid the lien off. If he was going to shaft you i doubt he would care to pay it off. Whos going to bitch the credit agency or the bank doesnt mean they are going to get their money. Hopefully all goes well but if this **** progresses i would take a drive over and take care of it in person. Always works a lot quicker.
Old 02-04-2011 | 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fccs
I hope you get the title, but because no one else is saying it and I tend to be very blatantly honest.. your a idiot for buying a car without a title, if he didn't have the title then to bad, no money. I have bought cars with a loan, lien, whatever on them at the bank before. What you should have done is talked to him and had the bank get the title ready for when you went to pay the loan off. Then, the bank would physically hand YOU the title, and boom, your done the same day.

Chances are he's just busy and your just worried alot (I would be to if I did something this stupid though lol) you'll probably get it soon and everything will be fine. Give it till next week and see what happens.
I previously sold a car that had a lien but problem was the bank carrying the not was halfway accross the country...Problem there is its going to take about a week and a half to get the title...A lot of loans are not from "your local credit" union....Things worked out well. He wrote me a personal check and took the car...Checked cleared i paid off the car and then sent him the title next day...Yes it was a gamble for both of us but it worked out fine. However, buying or selling a car without the title is just a pain in the ***
Old 02-05-2011 | 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I would of loved to get the title that day but it was 9pm. Also I guess, in Ohio, the bank won't hand you a title, I guess by their laws they have to mail it to the title branch of the BMV and you have to pick it up there so you can notorize it. I didn't get it today. So I'll give it untill tomorrow. He may have sent it out late yesterday. So if not I'll just tell him I'm making a trip to Ohio to get it and make he compensate me for gas. his boss at work is helped me. He made him call me. I guess he lost his phone on Thursday and didn't have my number.
Old 02-05-2011 | 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 68 SS
A good rule of thumb when buying a vehicle No title No money! If there is a lein on it go to the bank and complete the sale/payoff all at once and walk out with the title. Not saying your guy is a conartist but if the title has his name on it he owns the car not you.

Well said... Bad news, I wish you luck allout