General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking to move on...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to move on...

Well my V6 is selling this week, and I'm looking to get into an LS1. I'd honestly prefer to get a Firebird or Trans Am over a Camaro, mainly due to looks etc. I think the only way I would buy a Camaro is if it was an SS with a 6 speed, or with a good amount of Mods. Speaking of mods, if you you were in my position would you opt for a car with no mods, with few, or that has been completely built? Right now I'm looking for something bone stock-mild mods. (Cat-back, SFC's maybe headers) All that said, I'm going to include a few descriptions of the cars im looking at, I would do the links, but they are long as hell, and would really appreciate anyone's input on pricing, etc. My limit is 12k, but would like to stick around 10, unless it's really worth it.
Im really not into Vert's so that is out of the question. I haven't checked the boards yet, so sorry if someone chimes in with one for sale
Also GTO's are an option for me as well.

1. 2000 Camaro SS, 6 speed, t-tops, 2-owner, clean carfax.. looks to be bone stock except maybe a cat-back, looks to have Loud-mouth style tips.
55,590.........$11,490

2. 2002 Trans Am. A4, t-tops, Has slash cut tips, not sure of a cat-back. 1-owner, minor accident damange.
67,443...........$8995

3. 1999 WS6 Clone Trans Am...as he puts it "It is a WS6 Clone. (Cheaper on Insurance) 350+hp LS1 V8, Rare 6 spd trans, 47k miles (Purchased in 2005 with 39k miles), Ttops, Functioning Ram Air hood, Long tube headers, Custom Exhaust with Cut out. Motor was specially tuned with a laptop to maximize performance. Spec 3 clutch, Sub frame connectors, 4.10 posi rear, Custom checkered paint, Firehawk WS6 chrome wheels, Red LED lights in Ram Air vents (cool at night),Leather seats, custom CD player with 200W amp and sub. Short stick hurst shifter. Very good condition. 2nd owner, garaged its whole life, no winters."
47,000.......12,000 firm.

4. 2001 Trans Am, M6, t-tops.
78,176.......$11,995

Again, not trying to have LS1tech be my Kelly Blue book, but just need some educated opinions...Thanks for any input guys.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

If it were me I would go with option #1 and see if you can talk them down in price any. I paid 8.5K for my SS w/ 85K miles bone stock and in great shape.

I prefer to buy a car that had not been touched. I've had bad experiences with buying cars that have had mods done to them.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Wow. That #3 ad was written by someone that's either ignorant or trying way too hard to make their car look appealing. Either way, the ad is laughable.

Originally Posted by BrdOPry
"It is a WS6 Clone. (Cheaper on Insurance)
No, it's not cheaper to insure.

Rare 6 spd trans
No, the 6-speed is not "rare".

Firehawk WS6 chrome wheels
No, there are no "Firehawk WS6 chrome wheels". There are Firehawk wheels, and then there are WS6 wheels; they are not the same (and WS6 wheels weren't even offered in chrome from the factory, they were polished and clear coated).
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

My vote is for number 1 as well. It seems like the best deal out of the 4 you listed. Personally, I wouldn't own an LS1 without a 6 speed (not trying to start a war, just personal preference.) Also, a clean car fax is a plus, even though any damage could have been fixed under the table not involving insurance (found this out about my car later down the road.)

The owner of #3 sounds like a complete moron. Personally, I wouldn't want to own a car that used to belong to a moron and has no idea what he's talking about as far as upgrades he has done to the car.

Good luck with the purchase, and make sure to put up pictures of which ever car you decide.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Wow. That #3 ad was written by someone that's either ignorant or trying way too hard to make their car look appealing. Either way, the ad is laughable.

No, there are no "Firehawk WS6 chrome wheels". There are Firehawk wheels, and then there are WS6 wheels; they are not the same (and WS6 wheels weren't even offered in chrome from the factory, they were polished and clear coated).
Lol all of these being the reasons i put his exact words, he seems pretty ignorant, and has the same pics of the car, 6 in different angles from the front bumper, and 7 in the back. Almost like he is trying to hide that "rare 6 speed"

-And i've been thinking the same, it'd be nice to say I popped the modding cherry on my car
Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2k2cam
My vote is for number 1 as well. It seems like the best deal out of the 4 you listed. Personally, I wouldn't own an LS1 without a 6 speed (not trying to start a war, just personal preference.) Also, a clean car fax is a plus, even though any damage could have been fixed under the table not involving insurance (found this out about my car later down the road.)

The owner of #3 sounds like a complete moron. Personally, I wouldn't want to own a car that used to belong to a moron and has no idea what he's talking about as far as upgrades he has done to the car.

Good luck with the purchase, and make sure to put up pictures of which ever car you decide.
You freaking bet I will! And i'm a softy for SS's, my dad bought a 67' Camaro when he got out of Vietnam, and it'd be kind of cool to take a picture in the same pose when i buy mine, as he did with his, make a good thing for a family reunion! HAHAH.
But back on topic, I'm really vying for #1, I think I could get it down to the 10's on the price, I figured since I messed up the first time and got a V6, I'm doing it right the second time around and going LS1 M6. I've never driven a stick, but love the idea of it, but im no noob to manuals, I did MX for awhile before switching to 4 wheels , know they aren't the same, but still have the same-ish technique.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

And while on the topic of mods, this is the order I'm thinking to start with

1. SFC's (weld on, or bolt on?)
2. Lid, SLP more than likely
3. Pacesetter Armour Coated LT's
4. Misc. Items (DR's, manual fans, maybe a few appearence things)
then that would be it since im trying to save up for a decent DD and a storage unit for the car

Sorry for post whoring
Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 looks like the best to me too. Switching from a bike to a car I don't think will be an issue for shifting (I did the opposite) and you should be rolling fine in no time! Biggest thing is just getting the clutch down, being you know and have a feel for how it works you'll be just fine!

BTW, I know SFC's are a favorite mod for many people, but I'd look into a nice set of shocks first. Bilstien or Koni's really tie the car together, improve stability, handling, ride, reduce rattles, etc. etc.....really a great mod for these cars! Also, for an M6, I'd look into a different shifter. I had the factory non-Hurst and switched to MGW...wow! Great shifter....smooth, precise, and made the car even more fun to drive! The lid and headers look good, I have the SLP and I've only heard good things about Pacesetters.

Big thing is to research before each and every mod, get a good feel for your direction of the car, and have fun with it while learning what you can!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:22 AM
12 Second Club

Whatever it is you go with, I'd personally go with the lowest mile car you can afford that is as stock as possible. I like starting out with stock cars so that way I can do the best mods for the car by searching and learning what others have tried that doesn't work. Plus the cleanliness of the work is to my personal likings as well. I got my TA for 12k with 76k and wanted a WS6 so I wouldn't have to find a hood but the mods the car had were tastefull and not cheesy. Plus, part of the fun is looking for that right car anyways.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

I did not know that after all these years of ownership. I just thought no one liked the option. Learned something new. Thanks for the info. I love the chrome wheels on my T/A vert.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Here's a shameless plug for my car if you're interested in an automatic:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...les-stock.html

But of the cars you listed, #1 is my pick as well. Although, if you're wanting a firebird/trans am, you should probably hold off for the right one and not settle because if you're anything like me you'll probably end up wanting to sell it after a short time.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'll agree with everyone else here that the SS sounds like the best option out of the 4.

My preference in fbodies due to my experience is that I 'd pay slightly more for a less mileage and close to as stock car I can get.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Asian LSX
Whatever it is you go with, I'd personally go with the lowest mile car you can afford that is as stock as possible. I like starting out with stock cars so that way I can do the best mods for the car by searching and learning what others have tried that doesn't work. Plus the cleanliness of the work is to my personal likings as well. I got my TA for 12k with 76k and wanted a WS6 so I wouldn't have to find a hood but the mods the car had were tastefull and not cheesy. Plus, part of the fun is looking for that right car anyways.

Good luck in your search.
This.

Originally Posted by dhowdy
...if you're wanting a firebird/trans am, you should probably hold off for the right one and not settle because if you're anything like me you'll probably end up wanting to sell it after a short time.
And this.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I did not know that after all these years of ownership. I just thought no one liked the option. Learned something new. Thanks for the info. I love the chrome wheels on my T/A vert.

I like chrome better too (the factory polishing isn't that great). Chrome was an option for the 16" wheels for Firebird/Trans Am and for the 17" Firehawk wheels, but never for the 17" WS6 wheels. Here is some detailed LS1 WS6 wheel info for you:

'98-'99: There was only one wheel option for the WS6, and it was RPO QF6 (high polished 17" 5-spoke)

'00: There were two wheel options for the WS6, RPO QF6 (same as above) and the very rare RPO N66 (these are also high polished, but a totally different design, often called 3-spoke or swirly-style). They were not popular, and I've only seen a couple people on this site that mention having them. There is some Pontiac press literature floating around that shows pictures of this wheel as part of the '00 line-up.

'01: The vast majority of the '01 cars used the Speedline (Speedlines were first introduced on '95 Firehawks and also used on the Comp T/A) wheels for the WS6 (these are also high polished, but I can't remember the RPO off hand), but very early '01 cars still received the older style QF6 wheels.

'02: There were two wheels offered for WS6 this year, depending on which trim level you selected. The standard WS6 received the same Speedlines as 2001 cars, however the Collector Edition T/A received the old QF6 style, though instead of being fully polished they were black painted with a polished lip.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i would get a car that is not modded, shows it probly hasnt been hot rodded and you'll know exactly what is done to it.. NOTHING LOL .. of course i got mine bone stock but the dude offerd to burn up the tires in all 3-4 gears to show off so i could buy it so i knew he probly liked to get on it alot.. anyways thats my 2cents.. either way you cant go wrong with any of your choices
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm definatly looking to get a WS6, and ideally a 01-02, mainly just for the LS6 intake, I know its kind of noobish to say that, but that is just one less thing I will have to spend money upgrading (in the near future anyways ). I know I would like a ram air hood, and I would end up getting it, so I think it is justified in my mind to spend an extra thousand or so to find a TRUE WS6, just to say its a real one, and have a few extra goodies on it. Just sold my V6 yesterday, so now the true search begins
Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

00 WS6 - http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2240572193.html
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

To add to this I don't believe any F-Body is worth over 10k. These cars are aging even thought the LS1 is still beast. This is coming from someone who has owned 12 and purchased 1brand new for $27,000. I would spend possibily 8k and spend some of the leftover cash on mods. Also don't settle. If you want a Trans Am get a Trans AM. If you want a 6-speed get a 6-speed. Don't be scared to travel either. Good Luck