General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Rally a 4th gen F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally a 4th gen F-body?

Yeah I know, silly question, flame on, but has it been done before? Just curious since if I were to choose a racing type I'd want to do (and most people I know agree), it'd be rally...

Its common knowledge these cars are effective when properly setup at autocross, road racing and drag, I'm guessing those baseline traits that the setups build upon do not transfer well to rally? Thinking abstractly, the stock ride-height give surprising amounts of clearance below our cars, and because of RWD the lack of turning radius can be overcome with proper technique for the tighter turns. I would say weight would be an issue, but many rally cars weigh more than ours...

If not full-on stage-based rally, then perhaps the more wallet-friendly rallycross?

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sam strano does well with his 4th gen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxe1lHIxuE
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

You can't be serious?

Rally cross is pushing it, but stage rally...would have to be among the worst car choices ever. Low, rwd, no visibility...

Just ruin a subaru/evo/audi like everyone else.

Not trying to be a dick, just honest.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
You can't be serious?
Me personally doing it with my F-body? probably not, I was just curious if someone had done it before, and if it was from a chassis standpoint successful I'd be more curious... and I really do mean more like a local rallycross event than anything when I say rally, it gets exponentially more expensive the higher up like most motorsports.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Road rally yes, rally-x no. The biggest challenge the F-body will have is the huge turning radius. I can run my Mazda3 inside the turning radius of my Firebird. Haven't seen anything out there to improve that issue either.

Look at the Targa Tasmania rally, view the footage and you'll see the rigors of the racing.

Hell, watch Love the Beast. That'll be a good one to see as they run an older Aussie Ford in there.

EDIT: UltimateorangeSS, thanks for posting that vid of Sam. New favorite, and amazing camera angle. He was totally hauling ***!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

I believe you are alluding to something like this: http://www.targanewfoundland.com/

Quick Reply: Rally a 4th gen F-body?