General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

towing a car for the 1st time ---some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default towing a car for the 1st time ---some questions

Hey guys,

i am towing my car to my tuner, about 200 miles one way.

its 55 dollars to rent the trailer and return it to the same location (home)

or 75 dollars to rent it and drop it off at a location close to my tuner.

so would it be better to drive it back home and save 20 bucks, or will it be about the same since gas mileage should suffer towing the trailer?

also, the car is an auto, should i leave it in neutral while towing? of course it would be strapped, chained and ebrake on. or should i leave it in park? it is a flatbed trailer btw. i know while towing my quads i leave it in neutral and just strap it down and apply breaks to stop stress on the tranny whie rocking.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vader TA
Hey guys,

i am towing my car to my tuner, about 200 miles one way.

its 55 dollars to rent the trailer and return it to the same location (home)

or 75 dollars to rent it and drop it off at a location close to my tuner.

so would it be better to drive it back home and save 20 bucks, or will it be about the same since gas mileage should suffer towing the trailer?

also, the car is an auto, should i leave it in neutral while towing? of course it would be strapped, chained and ebrake on. or should i leave it in park? it is a flatbed trailer btw. i know while towing my quads i leave it in neutral and just strap it down and apply breaks to stop stress on the tranny whie rocking.
I always leave my cars in neutral when towing, puts stress on drivetrain when in park. Make sure it is strapped down good though. My advice would be just to drop off the trailer closer to your tuner.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Put it in park, put the brake on. Once it is chained down, it isnt supposed to move anyways, besides, with the e brake on, your RE is locked in place and the trans is no longer a factor. If a chain or binder come off which happens on occasion, the car will still be on the trailer.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02Z28ZO6
Put it in park, put the brake on. Once it is chained down, it isnt supposed to move anyways, besides, with the e brake on, your RE is locked in place and the trans is no longer a factor. If a chain or binder come off which happens on occasion, the car will still be on the trailer.
I agree... and I would trailer it back, save the miles on your car and a few bucks..
Old 03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28ZO6

This, but I have had the car come loose and roll against my back door of hte trailer. I had it in park and the ebrake on.

I like to tow trailers and my truck wouldn't know it's back there. You would probably save about $10-15 by bringing it back to the place you rented it from.