General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Wrecked Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wrecked Camaro

So I totaled my Z28 had 133k miles. started fish tailing on the freeway and couldnt get it back hit the center divide in the front left, then came back and slid across all four lanes and ended up hitting pretty much head on into a ditch on the side of the freeway.

I didnt have full coverage so im kind of on my own about getting as much as i can from the car. Im hoping that i can save the ls1 and t56. How do these engines tend to fare after being pulled out of collisions?

I hit pretty hard as you can see from the pic. i dont think the engine took a direct blow because theres still space between the MAF sensor and where the air filter use to sit. but what kind of damage can the engine/trans take from an imapct this hard. I had a moser 9 in installed too.

hoping the rear end is salvageable too.
Any advice or thoughts?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Wrecked Camaro-img-20110305-00073.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

I've never heard of any problems coming from an accident. Unless it was a roll over or something like that where oil got where it shouldn't be. The internals should definitely be fine. If you're really worried about it while you have it out put a new tb, intake, fuel rail, heads, and cam
Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can part it out and make some good money, or buy a cheap V6 or LT1 and convert everything over.

If you do part it out, let me know how much you want for your Moser.

Last edited by ROCNDAV; 03-08-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

If you end up parting it out PLEASE let me know how much for the rear. I need one badly!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

sorry

im also interested in the rear
Old 03-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

For right now all i can do is hope that the engine and trans are not damaged from the impact or being pushed back from the force. cant go work on it for a few weeks till i go back home. if it looks like the ls1/t56 are in working order i might consider swapping it into a camaro or trans am roller.

ive never done an engine swap before, would swapping over to a 98-02 trans am or camaro be kind of straight forward after reading a few write ups and books. never done a project this big but willing to learn.
Swapping from a camaro to a trans am should be pretty much the same as swapping it to a camaro right?

If it seems like ill be too much trouble to do a swap how much could i get for the ls1/t56 these days?

The rear end only had 10k miles 3.75 gears tru trac diff. if i go with another f body i might decide to keep it but if i dont ill let you guys know that im selling it.

NOTE:t tops are still good if anybody needs some
Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

The thing that everyone is always told to do when doing a swap, is to get a donor car, because you will always need "That extra part you forgot you'd need"

You have the donor, so you should be good.

Engine shouldn't have been damaged, unless the crank took a hit and was bent or the oil pan was cracked.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Red face

not much left or your car. good luck selling stuff off it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

yea not much of it is left. thats why im hoping that the engine/transmission/and rear end are all salvageable and that will give me back most of what ive spent on the car. or atleast be able to make a project out of it and do an engine swap. probably learn a lot if i go that direction.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your possibilities are endless if you go the swap route.

Personally I 'd throw it in a old school car.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Good to hear you are okay. That looked like a rough accident.

Start tearing it up and take a look to see what looks like what.

PM'd on Seats
Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

well at least you are ok, sorry to hear about your loss. What freeway were you on? Also, there are plenty of old schools for pretty cheap on SF craigslist. I have been waiting for someone to come total my car before I sell it, LOL.

either way good luck on the build.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry bout your car bro :/ hope it works out
Old 03-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

Default sorry for your loss:(

that sucks dude. same thing happened to me last year i sure learned my lesson about insurance.... even if its paid for GET FULL COVERAGE lol....
i was in the same boat too, tried to find a roller in descent shape was hard in my parts so i started lookin for an old nova II or chevelle or something cool like that but then my budget got cut from small to nothin. i finally pick up a nice 95 z28 hardtop auto thats even the same color for 400. so all i can say is just look at the bright side. like bad_408_vert said, think of all the cool new possibilities and different ways you can go
Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOBthe4dH8r
that sucks dude. same thing happened to me last year i sure learned my lesson about insurance.... even if its paid for GET FULL COVERAGE lol....
I learned that lesson too.....I was lucky though, my Insurance agent assumed I wanted full coverage and I didn't, was trying to change it to the minimum and rear ended someone on the way to talk to the agent. I only had the car 4 days and hadn't even got a inspection sticker for it yet.

These days, I keep full coverage on all of my vehicles, even when I put em' away for the winter....
Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts

Decent wreck..atleast you walked away man, that's all that matters.

The V6 swap car I did wrecked back in october..the only damage to the good parts was the Radiator busting, and the Right Rear Axle face got bent..so check everything. I went sideways, flew off a ditch and landed about 10ft below the top of that ditch right on the right rear tire..it was a Moser Axle too.

I swapped into the Monte Carlo SS after that wreck..I wanted something different and easier to work on..
Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Teching In

what color is your interior? if its ebony ill buy it some of it off you
Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

jeffro- I was going south bound on 280.

and yea ive thought of getting a cheap classic car and putting the engine/transmission in there. although ive never attempted a project of that size. I was wondering if anyone knew of any detailed write ups or guides on putting ls type engines in olders cars. Never done a swap of any kind, would it be possible to learn how to do it and finish it?

And im yet to try and start it due to being away for school right now. any one have tips on getting it to roar again. radiator was cracked in half and the air filter blew off, due to the front getting pushed in. other than that no leaks, oil level is full and wires seem to be fine.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

If you buy the right parts, a swap isn't bad at all. We learned as we went on my brothers 67 chevelle. I have some pretty good hookups here in the bay if needed too.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

keep all the parts you can off it !! t tops aint cheap hell i went to the bone yard the other day and cut a targa off a t top car just for spare like they say your isnt getting younger and its paid for .the center console shift cap is a pretty penny go to classic industries.com and price some parts youll see what I mean and part it out for some rightous cabbage or keep it people will try to get something for nothing its human nature REMEMBER WHAT YOU DRIVE DRIVES AMERICA !!!

Quick Reply: Wrecked Camaro