General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

So ya. . . I was rearended. Pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks man. Keep us posted on what happens.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe I'm a little late but I will say this,don't be afraid to tell your insurance even if you have a wreck in the future that's your fault,if you have full coverage and a good insurance company you are all good.I personally totaled two cars so far(not proud of that just bad circumstances)and farmers has paid out 50 grand for those two wrecks.my insurance went up but nothing too crazy.he rear ended you ,no fault on your part and you should not have any problems with insurance.keep in mind these unibody's bend really easy so don't take any fender bender lightly.Good luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

ALWAYS get a police report. I was sitting in my car in a parking spot and a woman in a SUV backed into me. I got out and just had a small scratch on my rear bumper but it ripped her back bumper completely off her car.

I was about to tell her it was fine and not to worry about my car, then I thought logically and called the police so she couldn't drive off and call them herself and say I backed into her and drove off.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
...so she couldn't drive off and call them herself and say I backed into her and drove off.
That's exactly what would have happened too. People are scum.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
ALWAYS get a police report. I was sitting in my car in a parking spot and a woman in a SUV backed into me. I got out and just had a small scratch on my rear bumper but it ripped her back bumper completely off her car.

I was about to tell her it was fine and not to worry about my car, then I thought logically and called the police so she couldn't drive off and call them herself and say I backed into her and drove off.
Wow i didn't even think about that. Some lady hit me once and i saw that it was fine and waved her off, thinking about it now she could have called saying it was me. There were other people that saw the accident but still..good point!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I took it to a few big name shops and got some quotes. The frame looks fine and it is not wrinkled in the usual spot in front of the rear tire. The average from the quotes came out to $650. I took the back panel off and it looks really easy to repair, I and a friend could do it if need be but don’t plan to.

After I got the quotes I took it by his body shop and talked to him and his dad. They seem to be some really standup people. The guy is a car guy and I probably made a friend in the process. I’m going to go against everyone’s advice and let him repair it. He is going to do some touchup work in some other areas and do a very light tinting on my taillights.

If it bites me in the *** lesson learned. If it all works out I probably made a friend. Right now I’m willing to take the chance. I’ll keep you guys updated on the progress.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

I hope it works out for you. You should let him know that if he does a great job on your car you have a whole lot of friends on this board and it could turn into future work for him and his shop. I too can be too trusting of people, bit me in the *** big time on my '84 Z28. Keep us posted, its nice to hear a happy ending sometimes too.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

I will defiantly keep you guys posted.

Now I’m interested in your story about the Z28. Care to share?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I made a shake of the hand deal to hang and finish drywall for a guy I used to work with. Hung and did two coats of finish work and the car wasn't started yet. Drug my feet on the final finish coat to see how the car was starting to progress, some work was being done so it seemed like it was going to be ok. Well I blew my shoulder out at work and went down for two months of rehab. Told him just bring the car back to me and we would figure something out. I get it back and it is a complete mess, shitty welds, broken tail light, damage to the windshield pillar, the plastic impact zone behind the front bumper cover is on upside down with the bumper cover installed ect... It wasnt much for them to do the final drywall work but it ended up costing me another 800.00 to have the car properly fixed to get it ready for paint. Needless to say this friend of mine kept a great distance away from me when I got back to work lol. Took me a while but I finally got over it, takes a whole lot more energy to stay angry than to just let it go. Hopefully these are stand up guys you are dealing with and new friendships are formed. I still believe there are more good people in the world than asshats.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 AM

I would definitely get my AZ car insurance company involved. Take proper estimates from a professional body shop and claim it from the at fault driver. Don’t take chances.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

So I got my car back from the guy’s body shop. The bumper looks great and the tail lights look sweet. The rear portion does not match up perfect with the rear trunk but it never did when I first bought it, so I’m not too annoyed by it. From anything farther than 3 feet you can’t tell and you have to be off angle to see it. He touched up some small blemishes on the body and it looks a little better than when I first bought it. Overall he did a good job and I don’t regret it.

I would have some pictures but now it in a transmission shop. . . . AAAGH!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Launching!

He got ya twice... rear ended you and then swapped a bad trans into the car without you knowing.... jk

Glad it worked out and you are happy.

I had a similar story when I was in the military in N.C. Me and a buddy were near his dads house in Lake Lure at around 11pm and I was actually at a red light (in my danger Ranger) and was in the wrong lane. I thought I was the only one on the road looked in my mirror and backed up and boom hit a black ws6. She was soo close I couldnt even see the headlights. She didnt want the insurance or cops called, she said her dad will fix her car, he is a body guy and to follow her to her house. The shop was waayyy in the boonies and I honestly thought I was going to get murdered whe I went into the shop haha so my buddy was waiting outside with a maglite and a .38 just in case but all ended well. Her dad was cool and said she wasnt suppose to be driving, she lost her liscence from a DUI resulting in an accident and he had just got done with the repairs from that the month before and she deserved the karma. She was going to have to pay him this time, I thought that was punishment enough.. Sometimes people are cool like that.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Some people. . . Driving drunk and crashing then driving without a license because you lost it as you are too irresponsible to drive sober like everyone else. At least everything worked out with you. I can imagine there wasn’t any damage to the ranger?

I remembered the millage on the car when I dropped it off when I got there (121640) Now that number will be stuck in my head for some stupid reason and I will end up using it for a password now. . . It had 121641 when I got it. He asked to drive it to the car was to wash it for me and I let him.

I’m also looking into getting a Geo Prism for a daily as this thing has not run for longer than 4 days without something happening to it. . . It seems like a magnet for trouble.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

1st red flag is how he didnt want insurance involved. if you called the insurance company on the spot they would tell you to get the police to respond and make a report.

2nd red flag is he wants to fix the damage himself.

Get in contact with your insurance. Dont lie, as they can charge you with insurance fraud. Be honest and explain you were not at fault and you didnt know the rules on the police coming or not.

Get quotes from the MOST reputable shops around. dont settle for nothing less than the best you can get. consider this a free-be. If you need a repaint now is your time to throw in some extra $$$ on top of what he will have to pay and get your **** all together.

Good luck
Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gringo dfw
1st red flag is how he didnt want insurance involved. if you called the insurance company on the spot they would tell you to get the police to respond and make a report.

2nd red flag is he wants to fix the damage himself.

Get in contact with your insurance. Dont lie, as they can charge you with insurance fraud. Be honest and explain you were not at fault and you didnt know the rules on the police coming or not.

Get quotes from the MOST reputable shops around. dont settle for nothing less than the best you can get. consider this a free-be. If you need a repaint now is your time to throw in some extra $$$ on top of what he will have to pay and get your **** all together.

Good luck

Lol. Maybe you should have read a few other posts? I already took it to a few big name shops, got some quotes and talked to him about what needed to be done. I let him and his dad fix it for me. While not absolutely perfect it is actually a little better than when I first purchased it so I am not displeased at all with the quality.

He did tint my taillights for me and they look awesome, as well as fixing some other blemishes in the paint.

The “Camaro” lettering has a little overspray on it so I would like to do something with it. Either black it out, or fill it in with red to make it stand out. But with the black and while theme I have going on I’m leaning towards blacking it out.

Thanks for the input thou!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Hopefully all works out for you. I remember the one time this kid rearended my 04 GTO... his car was toast and mine was pretty bad.. He didn't want to call the cops cause he didn't want to get a ticket.. I sure called the cops cause it did a lot more damage that what it looked like. I got a 06 rear and new exhaust out of it..
Old 03-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Default Ouch

could have been worse,
got to watch your back
Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM

That blows!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by '02TA
When you get rear ended you should ALWAYS call the cops and get a police report. Then you can file a claim through the other guys insurance company and it won't effect your rates at all and you also won't be responsible for your deductible. Now that its over and done with you could file a claim to ensure that it's repaired correctly but you'll have to pay your deductible and let the insurance compay subrogate to try to get the money that they paid out back as well as your deductible but it's unlikely without the police report.

...and yea I'm an insurance agent lol
+1

Totally agreed, I was a insurance agent too.

I'm sorry, I am strapped for cash badly. I get rear ended, I am calling a lawyer and the policy is getting squeezed to the max per person if I am alone in the car.

Screw letting some jerk off work on my car. Unless he wants to give you a wad off cash with it. Or it's a real hot chick and she wants to work off the debt
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Max78
Lol. Maybe you should have read a few other posts? I already took it to a few big name shops, got some quotes and talked to him about what needed to be done. I let him and his dad fix it for me. While not absolutely perfect it is actually a little better than when I first purchased it so I am not displeased at all with the quality.

He did tint my taillights for me and they look awesome, as well as fixing some other blemishes in the paint.

The “Camaro” lettering has a little overspray on it so I would like to do something with it. Either black it out, or fill it in with red to make it stand out. But with the black and while theme I have going on I’m leaning towards blacking it out.

Thanks for the input thou!

Glad you got it fixed and especially glad to hear its better now than before.
I think you did fine. Sure the guy didnt want any extra problems who does?!
People think the insurance company is the savour for some reason. If they dont think insurance companies try to cut corners to save money they are ignorant to corrupt slimeball society we all live in. You did fine by doing it how you did because I bet the guy wanted to keep YOU happy and keep himself out of trouble. In the long run your car is fixed, your insurance didnt go up, and you helped somebody out which not alot of people know how to do now-a-days. Glad it worked out for ya