General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

So ya. . . I was rearended. Pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Unhappy So ya. . . I was rearended. Pics inside!

Sitting at a light before some train tracks some guy (probably texting) rear ended me. I just got the header back on and was the first day I drove it. Now I need to take it to a body shop. I did not contact his insurance YET. He said he wanted to leave them out of it as he works at a body shop. I plan to take it to a few other body shops and get some repair quotes, and then drop it off at his shop. I plan to ask for detailed pictures of the process as they repair it.

So how bad is it and can you guys give me any tips? The car has a built motor with a turbo running about 450hp or more. I do not have any receipts as I bought it like that and KBB is around 4k. The rear hatch opens better than it did before and it drives fine. He broke a few exhaust hangers as the PO bird **** welded them on.

From the looks of it the bottom of his bumper rode on top of my bumper and he came into contact with the taillights and rear camaro plate.

On to the pics!

Last edited by Max78; 03-24-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would have second thoughts on bringing it to his shop. I would take it to a shop you know and trust will do a good job.

As far as not getting insurance involved; that is a risky situation. If you get the car repaired without insurance and later find out something else is wrong from the accident there will be nothing you can do. I don't know if your insurance would raise your rates, but if it came to my Camaro, I would definitely go through insurance.

Good Luck with everything!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Are you really going to trust a guy that hit YOU?? come on now! GET insurance involved!!! Besides your rates shouldnt go up bc HE hit you. As the above post mentioned you dont kno what else you need on the car. Dont be dumb or lazy and dont be too trusting of people. It will pay off big time with the insurance process than leaving it up to this guy
Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have called the cops. w/o a police report you CAN'T get insurance involved in this state as it is just your word against his...
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

You need to look real close at the 1/4 panel in front of the tire and behind the door. Usually the slightest hit will wrinkle that area (pic below), and if it is deformed you should have it put on a frame machine.

With the damage you have most shops are going to pull it and hammer it out, theres really no other way to do it. The bumper cover needs to be stripped bare and repainted. A lot of room for short cuts here.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 12-22-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

When you get rear ended you should ALWAYS call the cops and get a police report. Then you can file a claim through the other guys insurance company and it won't effect your rates at all and you also won't be responsible for your deductible. Now that its over and done with you could file a claim to ensure that it's repaired correctly but you'll have to pay your deductible and let the insurance compay subrogate to try to get the money that they paid out back as well as your deductible but it's unlikely without the police report.

...and yea I'm an insurance agent lol
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya did you get the police involved at all
Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2k2cam
Personally I would have second thoughts on bringing it to his shop. I would take it to a shop you know and trust will do a good job.
I agree. He is probably going to try and repair it the cheapest way possible considering he is going to pay for it. I would bring it to another shop you trust because they aren't paying for it so their more likely going to do it right IMO
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I called the police when my neighbor backed in to our TB and I see him almost everyday. He knew it was no hard feelings between us. I wasn't mad it him. I just simply needed a police report # for the insurance company to fix the truck through his insurance.

The guy that rearended you doesn't have to hold up his end of the bargain if there wasn't a report made.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

I did not call the police. This is the first time I have been in a wreck in my 9 years of driving. I got all of the guy’s information IE: Drivers license number and all insurance information. I’m in Tucson, AZ and police will NOT show up for non injury accidents. I plan to go to a police station today and see what I can do about filing a report after the fact.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Are you sure they wont show up for an accident? Every state I kno needs police verification for insurance claims bc its your word against his without it. I realize this is your first time involved in an accident but you should kno proper insurance procedure for the sole reason that you dont get taken advantage of. After all that is why you pay for insurance in the first place
Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

I called the police and I’m filing a claim after the fact. I plan to have an office meet me at his shop to take our statements. I messed up big time. I hope I don’t get screwed, but that’s what I get for trusting our fellow man right?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

don't trust anyone.his idiot butt ran into YOU.he should not get out of this so easily..because he will think he can get away with it and it can happen again and may hurt someone or possibly kill someone next time.You're lucky you weren't hurt.Good luck. I hate your car got skinned up.That sucks
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Teching In

yea man, its not that you dont trust someone, really its the law. Any time theres an accident the cops are supposed to be notified along with insurance companies. What if the guy didnt have ins? Bad as it sucks we have to have it, it is still the law.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cure07
Are you sure they wont show up for an accident? Every state I kno needs police verification for insurance claims bc its your word against his without it. I realize this is your first time involved in an accident but you should kno proper insurance procedure for the sole reason that you dont get taken advantage of. After all that is why you pay for insurance in the first place
Not Massachusetts....I have been in a few wrecks, some where my fault others weren't but I have never got the Police involved and never had any issues filing a claim.

If I were the OP, I would take it to a reputable Body Shop and have them help you file the claim. I would also have them meet with the adjuster instead of doing it yourself.

I also wouldn't let the guy who hit me touch my vehicle, nor would I let him fix it. He's done enough damage already.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Don't take it to his shop - take it to a reputable shop and tell him if he wants to leave insurance out of it, he has to pay the quoted amount upfront in cash and agree to pay for any "additional" repairs that may be found once they start taking things apart - if he balks at that or pushes to use his shop, tell him nevermind and that you'll be in touch with his insurance.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

No one is scolding you here, but a little knowledge about insurance goes a LONG way. Its good that you are posting this on here so at least you can maybe fight back. Just remember, when it comes to money and paying for accidents you can NEVER trust your fellow man. Personally, I try to talk to only the insurance companies and cops bc you can get sidetracked with the other person and they can/will easily take advantage. I really hope you come out okay, and regardless, your car WILL be fixed. Just a matter of who is paying for it and if its done right
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cure07
No one is scolding you here
Well maybe that’s what I need! Sometimes I’m too laid back for my own good. It is my fault for being ignorant about proper procedure that will almost guarantee that I do not get screwed. I will see how everything goes and if it all works out great then awesome. If not then that sucks and have learned a lesson the hard way and will never repeat it!

I thank you guys for all the help!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah a unbias 3rd party is just working for what there getting paid and if anything will draw out their dime and take more time or effort fixing your car because its earning them money (at insurance expense). My friend had same exact situation and in the end he should have just called the insurance but it was a friend so it made it kind of tough, he ended up only getting a replacement bumper from the guy.. Good thread though never knew what i would do in this situation but now i do.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

And I know ever state is different but in NC the best way to go about it is to call the police and get a report. Just because you get a police report does not mean you have to file it through insurance. But its always good to have a 3rd party (the police) come out and write up a report. Because insurance companies are a bitch to deal with and will normally do anything to get out of paying for a claim.