General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Power Steering Fluid Evaporating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Evaporating?

Hey guys,

A bit of a concern here- the car has been stored and not fired up since October, for starters.

Today I went to go see her and just check everything out and sure enough after pulling the PS fluid cap, it was on the "add" marker.

Here are my two possible causes.

1. The car hasn't been fired up since Oct, has the fluid maybe simply settled down, and once warmed up, should it be back up top?

2. I got underneath the car with a flashlight just to see what's going on and there was some fluid marks at the bottom of my K member. Now this was at the part that's right under the power steering lines, etc but it wasn't leaking directly from upwards, but it was rather oddly enough right on the bottom of it.

No color (not red) and I couldn't identify the smell. I may grab some pictures and throw it up on here later tonight.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

hopefully its not in the coolant .
Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,239 Posts

How long has it been since you last checked the fluid level? Just before storage?

FWIW, I just pulled my '98 out of storage this week, and checked all the fluid levels like you did. The PS fluid was still at the "full cold" mark, right where it was when it went into storage. It would probably take decades to evaporate. My guess is, you may have a small leak somewhere.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
How long has it been since you last checked the fluid level? Just before storage?

FWIW, I just pulled my '98 out of storage this week, and checked all the fluid levels like you did. The PS fluid was still at the "full cold" mark, right where it was when it went into storage. It would probably take decades to evaporate. My guess is, you may have a small leak somewhere.
I havent checked the level of it since, but I do recall it always being topped off. I guess that's the downside to having a car that rarely gets driven.