General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

fuel gauge and TCS issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel gauge and TCS issues

Hey what's up all! I have a couple issues here with a 98 trans am ws6.

1) the fuel guage reads just over a 1/4 tank when the key is OFF. With the key in the on position, it goes up to FULL while the fuel pump is priming, then it goes down to empty and stays there even with the engine running until you turn the engine off, and then it goes back to just over a quarter. I'm not sure it's even accurate in the off position, because I think the car just ran out of gas. While cranking, the gauge responds and seems to move with engine rpm.

2) the TCS OFF indicator stays on. The first seconds after turning the key, the TCS switch illuminates and responds when you press it on/off, but once the fuel pump is done priming (few seconds) the TCS OFF indicator comes on, and the switch goes unresponsive.

-TCS switch is ok, and wiring going to it is ok
-All fuses/relays are good
-no DTC's or SES light
-Instrument cluster is fully operational, and wiring going to it checks out OK for FUEL level from PCM.
-OBD2 scanner says "TCS INACTIVE"
-no ABS INOP indicator while engine running

I'm currently tracing wiring back to the fuel tank, and I'm going to throw some gas in the tank to see if it hasn't run out. This morning I test drove the car to see if the TCS was working, and it wasn't (Tires spun pretty good) As I pulled it back into the garage, it began running worse and worse, and finally shut off. It would fire up and run rough and die for a while, and finally, it won't start.

Any help or possible pointers is greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the fuel pump and fuel sending unit, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Ok got an update. There was no gas. Apparently, it had just enough to run, but it read "E" with the engine on because it had almost no gas. Put 4 gallons of 92 in, and the gauge is reading fine. go figure!

That just leaves the TCS issue.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

ANyone have any tips as to the TCS OFF issue