General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

do I have an lt1 style drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by ivan_key
I wasn't meaning gears and driveshafts what's everything lol, since I have a 98 there seems to be a lot more to upgrade then say a 01, like I'd like to get h/c and will have to get new valve covers, I heard the 98 pcms are not as good. I have a ls1 intake not the better ls6, steel drive shaft, crappy 2.73 gears, none really that big of a deal, all needs upgraded with high end parts anyways
- No need for new valve covers, unless you specifically want a different or aftermarket head casting. The stock 806 heads on your engine could be worked, and as such have just as much power potential as the 853s or 241s.

- '98 PCM won't be a problem for any decent tuner on a basic H/C setup.

- Of the two stock driveshafts, the steel is stronger, and would be my personal preference if I was going to stick with a stock DS.

- Ideal gear ratio will be dependent on application, but 2.73s can perform very well with the proper stall, while still delivering stock MPG once lock-up speeds are reached. I would agree that 3.23s are more ideal, but even with 2.73s I wouldn't spend a single dollar on a gear swap before doing a stall.

- LS6 intake is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, especially for a cam or heads/cam setup.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks for the info, I'm wanting 243 castings, with a ms3, but first I was wanting 3.73s and a yank 3600