General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New Pro 5.0 shifter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pro 5.0 shifter.

I just installed my new shifter and it is harder to shift and cluncky. I know it's gonna be that way at first and was just wondering if any one could tell me about how long before I can expect it to smooth out?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

^ My buddy's had his pro 5.0 in for about a year and it still feels the same. -On a D&D rebuilt trans too. It's normal for a "performance" shifter. I never bought one, nor do I want to after driving his car. it's almost impossible to shift FAST with that thing. My T56 rebuilt tranny was enough to tighten everything up for me. Still on a stock Hurst shifter and I'm completely fine with it.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Teching In

I had the same thing with my pro 5.0 and the cause for that was the dowel pin on the shift rod that is in the trans. After I had mine rebuilt the guy didn't punch the pin all the way down and it was making contact with the base of the shifter causing resistance. After I rebuilt my trans 3 years later, I noticed that and fixed it, shifter was smooth and crisp. I'm not sure if that's the issue you are talking about but figured I'd throw this up. The dowel pin I'm talking about is right inside the trans below the base of the shifter. if you pull the shifter, the rod that the shifter ball sit into is connected to the main shift rod with this pin.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Pro 5.0 shifter also with the same "issue". It is typical of these shifters and is normal. I don't notice it anymore until i drive my buddy's stick.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have one, and i'm not real thrilled with it either. But i think its just due to the fact that Fbodies shift like crap. Hell i could shift my 93 honda civic POS faster. I drove a Volkwagen Passat CC while i was in Germany, and it shifted like butter. I wish my Camaro shifted that good, cause i'm actually considering going to a 4L80E because i'm sick and tired of the manual in this car.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mines been on for a couple years and i recall it being the same way when i first installed it but now it shifts quite smooth. Much smoother than the OP's car (i helped her install the shifter), i'm wondering what the difference could be....

Exact same shifter...
Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by deelong4002
I have one, and i'm not real thrilled with it either. But i think its just due to the fact that Fbodies shift like crap. Hell i could shift my 93 honda civic POS faster. I drove a Volkwagen Passat CC while i was in Germany, and it shifted like butter. I wish my Camaro shifted that good, cause i'm actually considering going to a 4L80E because i'm sick and tired of the manual in this car.
Not necessarily. I think most people buy a shifter not knowing that the root cause of their crappy shifting is most likely the loose transmission itself. A stock T56 apparently has .040-.060" (CMIIW) tolerances. Now add in wear and heat expansion and you've now got a very loose transmission. I got a T56Rebuilds 4b package back in 06 before they went under and it's still going strong 25k miles later. I'm running a stok shifter and I've changed a couple people's minds when they say their car either shifts smooth or when they say they want a shifter.

Mine is very smooth, you can feel the detents but it's not like hitting a wall between gears. I can shift as fast as my body will allow me to move the shifter and I never miss third.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned Scammer

well this makes me second guess myself...
Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

I have the pro 5.0 shifter in my car.. but I also have Tick hydraulics and an 01+ slave. Smooth as glass baby!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned Scammer

well on Install University they stress the importance of the dowel pin.
and lots of people upgrade the hydralics and rebuild the t56s. so maybe a combo of these would help however the t56s arent exactly smooth sailing either...
ive been in trucks that shift smotther than my car.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well on Install University they stress the importance of the dowel pin.
Got a link? Just re-read their shifter install and found nothing about the dowel pin...
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its just the nature of the beast.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Well I might just give it little more time and if it doesn't get any better, Ill put my old one back on.

Oh and what is OP?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had a Pro 5.0 shifter for a number of years and really liked it. I have tried 3 different shifters on my car and found that to be the most user friendly. The T56 is not the smoothest shifting transmission when you compare it to other vehicles. I don't mind it honestly, but even with a short throw shifter like the Pro 5.0 the shifts didn't shorten up so much as just got notchier. My Pro 5.0 shifter literall broke though, and it wasn't from hard driving. I have yet to take it apart, but it feels like a spring popped off internally because it would not stay in 2nd, 4th, or 6th gear. I ran over to Summit, bought a Hurst, and the problem went away. I have to tear apart this Pro 5.0 shifter and see whats wrong. Sorry to ramble, just telling my experiences.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I differ a bit from the norm here. When I got the car it had the stock Hurst shifter and it just seemed loose and sloppy to me.

By contrast, after I installed my Pro 5.0, the shifts are crisp and firm. I love the 2-3 shift now -- it seems more linear. Haven't had any difficulty some of the others have experienced....guess I just got lucky.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I differ a bit from the norm here. When I got the car it had the stock Hurst shifter and it just seemed loose and sloppy to me.

By contrast, after I installed my Pro 5.0, the shifts are crisp and firm. I love the 2-3 shift now -- it seems more linear. Haven't had any difficulty some of the others have experienced....guess I just got lucky.
Thats how i would describe her hurst before the 5.0, and the pro 5.0 is definitly more crisp and firm, but it is harder to get into gear than my pro 5.0....i wonder what the difference could be..
Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Banned Scammer

sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead.
but i recently installed my stage 3 monster clutch and slave...
the shifts are smoother although grabby due to the aggressive nature of the clutch
the shifts are also firmer along with a nice feeeling in the engagement
and the shifter itself is firmer with less vibration than before....
used to....if i held on to it long enough my hand would fall asleep from it vibrating soooo much
just my 02...

Quick Reply: New Pro 5.0 shifter.