General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Test Drove a GTO for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Can't believe you're unimpressed with the GTO interior. Most comfortable seats ever!
You should try the coulson seats we get in the 4 door HSV's. Unfortunately they never made it into monaro's (US GTO) as they never converted them for the folding seats. Plus US GTO's are base model spec compared to our GTO and GTS versions.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Staging Lane

The 1 drove ran good just not fast as i wanted
Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd buy the 'Vette unless you need to have back seats. Personally, I need a car with back seats and I think the GTO would make me forget about other cars really quick. Let us know what you decide to do...
Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Guy in our town has a full bolt on a4 LS2 GTO (Headers/ exhaust/ intake/ pulley/ tune). Made 350rwhp and seemed like it had a nice interior.
I hope he got his money back.....they should put down 350+ stock
Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Launching!

30 is NOT midlife crisis! You (we) are still young, it's just now you have the money to go out and play. I'm talking to myself, lol.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blacksmith73_99
Satchmo,

since i used to live in Detroit there's one other thing you should also think about...TIRES! if the roads are still as bad, you will probably need tires every few months depending on where you live/commute. so now you're talking a tire budget and Vette tires ain't cheap! i never got the chance to test drive a GTO (i wish i did). being the one who likes sleepers, look at this also, a 400 hp 05-06 GTO is almost matching a C5Z06 in hp. with a few mods, you can easily reach 500 hp and match a c6Z06 in hp. imagine all the cookie cutter Vettes you could lay waste to...
You're forgetting about power to weight Blacksmith. A GTO with 400hp will get destroyed by a 400hp C5ZO6 every time. Check sig and you'll see how I know

If you can afford it I'd get the vette and I'm very familiar with it both cars. I've owned a vette and my cousin ownes a GTO that I drive regularly. There both great cars but the vette is just way more fun. Obviously this is JMHO

Regards,
Ryan
Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by '02TA
You're forgetting about power to weight Blacksmith. A GTO with 400hp will get destroyed by a 400hp C5ZO6 every time. Check sig and you'll see how I know

If you can afford it I'd get the vette and I'm very familiar with it both cars. I've owned a vette and my cousin ownes a GTO that I drive regularly. There both great cars but the vette is just way more fun. Obviously this is JMHO

Regards,
Ryan

Damn, didn't know the GTO was such a heavy car.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

I've got an A4 '04 QSM GTO for sale if anyones interested. I'm asking 10.5K. Like you guys said, it was a very underrated car in terms of comfort and driving.

I'd definitely keep it if my G/F would drive it, but she's not interested in it. :/

PM me if interested.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by floodofnoise
30 is NOT midlife crisis! You (we) are still young, it's just now you have the money to go out and play. I'm talking to myself, lol.
I started my midlife crisis early too. LOL! Just preparing myself.

I like the GTO's. I was considering them for awhile, but I just found the stock appearing ones to be a little too "boring" for my taste. Throw a nice set of wheels, lower it, tint the windows, etc.. And they look great.. Otherwise, I always found them to be pretty boring appearance wise.

The new 5.0's are great. Theyre pretty fast in stock form AND they come with a warranty. If you can afford one, I'd either go with the C6 or 5.0.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
I hope he got his money back.....they should put down 350+ stock
dont know about that. but definitely not on a mustang dyno.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gen 1 or 2 Viper?? I know some people DD them.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Sooo many factors. I was looking at the same cars you are at one point, but ended up going with the CTS-V. 400hp, about as heavy as a GTO, more comfort & quality, and still handles VERY well. Since I have a son under 18, I went with the V, but in my heart the choices are:

1. Vette - Who doesn't love this car?
2. CTS-V - 4 dr Vette
3. GTO - Solid car, but just didn't do it for me in the looks category.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dee99gt
I'd rather have a 05/06 GTO than my 02 SS
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Teching In

The GTO is a great car but it's a total pig next to a vette. If you don't need backseats a vette is a great DD and a c5z can be had for a good price. Consider what you would have to spend on a GTO to make it as fast as a stock c5z and it would never handle as well. Don't get me wrong, the GTO is a great car but you are comparing apples to oranges.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really think it's comparing apples and oranges when people compare a Vette and a GTO. They are totally different cars, platforms, and styles. They simply share a common powertrain.

For me - I wanted a modern muscle car, not a Vette. I love the looks of the C6 Vette and might get one someday, but I bought a GTO because I wanted a modern muscle car. Personally, I love the understated looks of the GTO, but that's my taste. I prefer to pull up to a stoplight and watch people looking around like "what the hell is making that noise?"

I do not daily drive my GTO. But almost every time I take it out, I get comments and questions about it. At the gas pumps, at stoplights, at the bank drive thru. People are always asking me about it. Mine is a very understated color (midnight blue), but it sounds like a beast. I wouldn't trade it for a Vette (ok, maybe a C6 Z06).

So, it really comes down to you deciding exactly what you want. They are totally different cars built for different audiences.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
I really think it's comparing apples and oranges when people compare a Vette and a GTO. They are totally different cars, platforms, and styles. They simply share a common powertrain.

For me - I wanted a modern muscle car, not a Vette. I love the looks of the C6 Vette and might get one someday, but I bought a GTO because I wanted a modern muscle car. Personally, I love the understated looks of the GTO, but that's my taste. I prefer to pull up to a stoplight and watch people looking around like "what the hell is making that noise?"

I do not daily drive my GTO. But almost every time I take it out, I get comments and questions about it. At the gas pumps, at stoplights, at the bank drive thru. People are always asking me about it. Mine is a very understated color (midnight blue), but it sounds like a beast. I wouldn't trade it for a Vette (ok, maybe a C6 Z06).

So, it really comes down to you deciding exactly what you want. They are totally different cars built for different audiences.
I agree with you man. The Corvette and GTO aren't really bought by the same types of people, two different types of cars meant for two different types of things.

Just want to add though, the GTO can easily be classified as modern day muscle, but, in my personal opinion, I think the absolute closest "modern" car you can get that resembles the original early day muscle car's would be the F-Body's. Everything from the long sweeping hood, long, heavy doors, basic, non-sugar coated interior, etc., all qualities that you just don't really get in the GTO's which resemble the original muscle cars.

But, not taking anything away from GTO's at all, I love them, absolutely sick cars, both the LS1's and LS2's!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Just want to add though, the GTO can easily be classified as modern day muscle, but, in my personal opinion, I think the absolute closest "modern" car you can get that resembles the original early day muscle car's would be the F-Body's.
Well, I'm not gonna argue semantics, but, honestly, there's not much about a 2002 WS6 that resembles a sixties Firebird. LOL

Now that the GTO is paid off, I'd love to find a low mileage 2002 WS6 to add to the stable.

But to the OP - you really need to figure out which fits your style the best. Or buy both!