General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Test Drove a GTO for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove a GTO for the first time

I was leaning toward getting a vette for my midlife crisis car. Decided to test drive a GTO and actually really liked it. The interior isn't as nice as I thought from pictures I had seen, but still not bad. It wasnt one of the fancy double colored ones (red/blue seats/etc)

It handled bumps much better than my 2006 cobalt SS/SC (although it didn;t turn/handle as well).

I was surprised that I didnt mind the A4 as much as i thought I would.

Anyone else have similar experiences? For those who have GTO did you find yourself wishing you would have went with a Camaro (LS3) or vette after you got used to the car's power?

Trunk is tiny as well! but what do you expect from a car like this
Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

theyre nice cars and make great DDs.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 538 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
theyre nice cars and make great DDs.
I agree BUT if truly a 'mid-life crisis' your body & mind will be screaming for a Corvette. The 'looks' of a car can matter as the GTO doesn't holler out "LOOK AT ME" but a Corvette does. You didn't mention if you test drove an LS1 or LS2 either. If you drove an '04, the '05 -'06 might blow your socks off.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

I'd rather have a 05/06 GTO than my 02 SS. I had a maggied 04 GTO and regret every minute of selling it.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 05 GTO for about 2 years. I really liked the car in all respects even the low key looks- although the bright yellow color made up for the low key body style. If I could have kept it I certainly would have but my job (and basically then career) fell apart at the time and I had to sell it before financial ruin.
A couple of years later I got my beloved HOSS back (Thx Paul!) after I got back on my feet but if the time came to where I could afford both the SS and another GTO, I will get another LS2 GTO for sure.
IMO they are a very underrated car and got a bad rap from a lot of people who had never driven one.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They drive nice. They're quick, I've only driven an A4. I'm just not a fan of the styling inside or out. That's the only deal breaker for me.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have much love for a corvette, but remember the GTO is way more practical. It has adequate trunk space, 4 seats ( good quality leather imo ) has a great history, proven reliability, & they handle VERY good thanks to the IRS. They also retain there value very well. A lil heavier than i would like, but is a VERY solid car.

The guy jeremy from topgear has nothing but GOOD things to say about the GTO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeM1U...eature=related

and ofcourse the ls2 version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVPrLYhjVU

Hope those vids help u out abit
The ls2 GTO is where it is at imo

The new camaro's are WAY WAYYYY over priced, i would wait on those ( but are great cars none-the-less).. in austin when they first came out, they had a 2SS running for 50k.. and was actually MORE expensive than a base '10 corvette :/. Meh, hope you find what you are looking for in the end whatever it is
Old 05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Teching In

My test drive was in a 2006 GTO A4 with about 98k miles.

Guys, Thank you thank you thank you for the honest first hand experience advice.

I set out really wanting a corvette and then the "almost 30 in me logic" part of my brain started to really think about the decision.

First off, this would be a daily driver that I would take VERY good car of (heated garage and parking garage at work). I live near Detroit, MI so the GTO is definitely well respected around here as well as all the Ford/Mopar/etc stuff. Pretty much if you have a V8 "it's cool". I live near a major intersection and since it's started warming up all you hear is burnouts and loud exhausts all day long on the weekends or evenings. This may bother some folks, but personally i think it's cool as hell

Now the part about the Corvette and i have done a lot of careful research on options and pros/cons here are my thoughts:

1. Corvette - Narrowed down to C6 with targa top

Pros: Looks, removable top for cruising on nice days, options to get NAV/etc. You feel like you are sitting in a race car. VERY fast. Trunk/hatch space isn't bad, but not great. A6 if i want to go auto. Good gas mileage. HUD is cool.

Cons: most expensive ($25-30k for a C6 2005-2007 and 30k-37k for used 2008). only 2 seats. lower to the ground. Concerned that without F55 suspension the roads around here in MI might be a bitch. I would hate to get a vette and have a teeth jarring ride everywhere I go.

2. GTO -

Pros: Very good value for the money (can pick one up for $10-$20k). LS2 is badass. Good exhaust note in and outside of car. Usable back seat. Gas mileage is tollerable. I got a total of 23mpg in my test drive which surprised me (that's what the computer said anyways). Very good ride comfort.

Cons: Wasn't super impressed with interior. I know it gets good ratings and the seats are definitely very nice (back seat especially...lots of leg room back there surprisingly!) but overall it felt like a much older car (2006). Even my cobalts SS interior felt a lil newer for some reason. Looks are so/so. It still looks cool, but it won't super stand out (this might be a good thing). I heard parts are hard to get or expensive due to them being form australia? is this really just body panels and electornics or is the drivetrain mostly stock GM LS2 type stuff? (rearend/transmission/brakes/etc)?
It's a tad bit heavy, but nothing like charger/challenger heavy.

I'm also considering (don't kill me) one of the new 5.0 mustangs. I would lose all of my 'uniqueness'. GTOs are definitely Unique and although Corvettes aren't super rare, they are still much more unique than the mustang, plus i always wanted to do the cool corvette wave

Mustang 5.0 GT would get me a BRAND new car for the price of the used 2008 corvette with probably the best interior of the 3. I could get Sync which would be really nice to have in a daily driver. Visibility in this car is also good.

Again... the cheapest choice is the GTO.

I have considered Firebirds/Trans Ams/Older Camaros but the newest ones being 2002 is a lot older than say a 2005/2006 GTO, but i know i could pick up a really nice one with mods and such for not too bad of a price. I'm just not good enough with cars to know if i'd be buying a great car or one that was beat on to hell. Also as a daily driver a highly modified TA/Transam probably isn't the best idea in the world, esp for gas mileage (again GTO at 22-23mpg isn't AWESOMe, but it's not as bad as say 12-14mpg).

I think i really just need to test out a 2008 Vette with F55 and see how it handles on our roads. Also i need to really evaluate the REAL WORLD differences in the cars. I mean i was totally a magaine/forum/numbers *****... like omg the vette at 3.9-4.0 sec from 0 to 60 must be way faster than the GTO doing 4.6 0 to 60. But then in the real world i might get in both and not really tell a huge difference. The comfort and cheaper price of the GTO may be worth it to just get one and see if i like it.

I have pretty much rules out the new camaro as i drove one for a 10-11 day trip in Yellowstone and didnt really love it. Was def the coolest rental car i ever had, but i had some visibility issues and scraped up the bottom front a little even though i was being super careful (i'm sure the vette would have similar problems). GTO is about as low as my cobalt SS/sc and i;ve learned how to not scratch it up 99.9999% of the time, but every now and then there is a really shitty driveway... ;-/

Anyhoo, any more insight is appreciated from folks who have owned a variety of vehicles. I don't plan to track the car or drag race or anything, but i do love hitting the gas and getting instant torque to pass.

Also my method of honking is a full throttle blasted note out of the tailpipes of a loud V8.

Hence why i really enjoyed the GTO test drive.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

I will just add that the overall build quality of the GTO or G8 is above and beyond any of the other GM vehicles. My buddy has a G8 flood car. With zero carpet and sound deadening it is still quieter then a new CTS. GTO is about the same, nice platform and well put together. Aussie cars seem to be built a hell of a lot better. Only issue I really see on the GTO's is the front bumper side clips coming loose.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

the new camaro is a tank with LS3. id spend the money on a nice corvette. GTOs are nice and tight altho we have the "lumina SS" version here by chevy but basically the same they are really tight n quite. u said mid life crisis and all i can think of is a corvette
Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I agree BUT if truly a 'mid-life crisis' your body & mind will be screaming for a Corvette. The 'looks' of a car can matter as the GTO doesn't holler out "LOOK AT ME" but a Corvette does. You didn't mention if you test drove an LS1 or LS2 either. If you drove an '04, the '05 -'06 might blow your socks off.
when i bought my GTO new i was somewhat looking at c5z06s. dealers wanted more than new GTOs so it made my decision easy.

if i could afford a new vette thats what id get.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

You do realize that 30 is not anywhere near "midlife", right?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

my buddy has a gto, with intake,headers,exaust,huge cam,tune,drag radials,drag spring he went high 11's...good car all the way around
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guy in our town has a full bolt on a4 LS2 GTO (Headers/ exhaust/ intake/ pulley/ tune). Made 350rwhp and seemed like it had a nice interior.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Can't believe you're unimpressed with the GTO interior. Most comfortable seats ever!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Satchmo
I was leaning toward getting a vette for my midlife crisis car. Decided to test drive a GTO and actually really liked it. The interior isn't as nice as I thought from pictures I had seen, but still not bad. It wasnt one of the fancy double colored ones (red/blue seats/etc)

It handled bumps much better than my 2006 cobalt SS/SC (although it didn;t turn/handle as well).

I was surprised that I didnt mind the A4 as much as i thought I would.

Anyone else have similar experiences? For those who have GTO did you find yourself wishing you would have went with a Camaro (LS3) or vette after you got used to the car's power?

Trunk is tiny as well! but what do you expect from a car like this

Satchmo,

since i used to live in Detroit there's one other thing you should also think about...TIRES! if the roads are still as bad, you will probably need tires every few months depending on where you live/commute. so now you're talking a tire budget and Vette tires ain't cheap! i never got the chance to test drive a GTO (i wish i did). being the one who likes sleepers, look at this also, a 400 hp 05-06 GTO is almost matching a C5Z06 in hp. with a few mods, you can easily reach 500 hp and match a c6Z06 in hp. imagine all the cookie cutter Vettes you could lay waste to...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Satchmo
Again... the cheapest choice is the GTO.

I have considered Firebirds/Trans Ams/Older Camaros but the newest ones being 2002 is a lot older than say a 2005/2006 GTO, but i know i could pick up a really nice one with mods and such for not too bad of a price. I'm just not good enough with cars to know if i'd be buying a great car or one that was beat on to hell. Also as a daily driver a highly modified TA/Transam probably isn't the best idea in the world, esp for gas mileage (again GTO at 22-23mpg isn't AWESOMe, but it's not as bad as say 12-14mpg).
I hope you're not saying that's what the LS1 fbody's get, because it's usually at (or higher than) the GTO's fuel economy.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd pick a vette or G8.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 AM
11 Second Club

I can't say enough good things about the '04-'06 GTOs. Awesome cars.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Teching In

Yeah I love my GTO. Best car I have ever had by far.