General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Going to look at a motor... wat should i look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going to look at a motor... wat should i look for?

i'm going to Virginia Thursday with my friend to pick up an lq9 motor. guys claims its out of an escalade with 100k miles on it. he has the heads off because he wanted to inspect the motor before he sold it. i'm getting the whole motor off him.

Wat r some common damages to look for before i buy?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has a old oil filter still on it that will tell you alot about the condition of the internals. Just cut it open and look carefully at the media. I would rotate the crank by hand and see if it turn smooth with out any binding or noises, also take along a few feeler gauges or a dial indicator and check the crank end play. You can check the piston clearances too and see how much they rock in the bores. If the oil pan is off you can look for burnt blue rod ends and check if any rod bearing are worn and get a peek at the cam.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

look for metal shavings ANYWHERE in the block. i dont think you will be able to turn it over by hand. you might wanna take an old crank bolt and a 24mm socket to try to turn it over. anyway...good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Teching In

if the pan is off pull the center main cap off and check the thrust baring and pull the rod cap on the last rod ( furthest from the oil pump ) to look for any baring problems you will need a 10 13 and 15 mm to do this also inspect all cylinder walls
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Be sure you rotate the assembly and check for a rust mark where the piston may have been sitting if it got wet or water left in it from pulling the heads. If you see ANY cylinder damage walk away. I keep hearing these are readily available at very low cost as complete runners at salvage yards. Don't get into a deal where extra work is required. Make sure the electronics package is absolutely complete unless you are going the other way.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot guys much appreciated... i'm going tomorrow afternoon i'll post pics tm night if i get a chance