General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SFC's, Body Mounted Tq. Arm's, & alignments racks don't mix

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default SFC's, Body Mounted Tq. Arm's, & alignments racks don't mix

One question for you guys as I am running into this problem. How do you guys get your cars on a new style alignment rack with your f-bodies that have body mounted tq. arm (mine is a spohn with solid mount) and subframe connectors. The tq. arm mount is the main thing that is hitting, and I'm betting if the tq. arm is hitting then once that problem is alleviated the subframes will be the next problem. One solution a friend suggested was sticking a floor jack under the diff and jacking it up till its level with the front end and pushing it on the allignment rack. Comments anyone?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The SFCs should not even come close to hitting. The body mounted TA, thats possible. When my car was stock height & I had a body or tunnel brace mounted UMI TA I just drove it right on with just a small amount of scraping of the TA crossmember. After I lowered the car I put blocks of wood(foot long 2x4s or 2x6s) in front of the ramps of the rack, & put another set of blocks on the rack a few feet up. Driving over the blocks will lift up the car so it doesnt drag.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Flint Wrench thanks for the reply, I have coil-overs in the front and cut stock springs in the rear. A 12 oz. coke can will not fit under my car. That same can would barely be able to roll layed over on its side under my car. I'm going to need a lot of wood it looks like lol. Time to go to HD or Lowes.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Firebird is at stock ride height with SLP SFCs and a Chassis Mount Spohn Adj.T/A. I just had it aligned on Monday. I wasn't there when my guy pulled it onto the Rack, but it didn't scrape at all when it was backed off.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
My Firebird is at stock ride height with SLP SFCs and a Chassis Mount Spohn Adj.T/A. I just had it aligned on Monday. I wasn't there when my guy pulled it onto the Rack, but it didn't scrape at all when it was backed off.
I need to get a shot of how low my F-body sits. It is low low, it has cut springs in the rear and coil-overs in the front. I think I am going to try to raise the front end up a little and I may even replace the rear springs with stockers. I love the way it handles and how it sits and looks, I just hate having to drive like a beaner in an isuzu hombre on 14" daytons in every parking lot I enter.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Ok guys so here is the new problem I have encountered and I am nearly at my wits end with this goddamn car. I have boards now to get it on any alignment rack in the city, but now these douchebag ******** the ones that told me I needed boards are now saying that oh well even if it gets up there we can't get our jack under it. They are so lazy and hate it whenever a modified car comes in because it doesn't "go routinely" like grandma betty's buick when she brings it up here. I just can't stand people who won't do a little bit of finagling to get something done for a customer who obviously is having a hell of a time with his car. It's like oh well if so and so can't do it then I know we can't. This is all without even seeing the car or having it on their rack. I am just really fed up and if I can't get my car alligned how the **** am I suppose to drive it!?

Sorry guys I just had to rant and get some steam out.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this isn't much help, but I would look for a new place to take it. I find it much more enjoyable going to a place where somebody cares about your car and realizes that it isn't just a Camry coming in, especially if it has mods.