General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

427/454 LS Build Advice. New To LS World

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 427/454 LS Build Advice. New To LS World

I am a new member and have decided to take the plunge into the LS engine. I have decided to start with an ERL sleeved shortblock in either 427 or 454 cid. I am a Pontiac guy and have a 535HP/570 FT. lbs of torque EFI 455, so I will be building an LS that will make as much or more torque. I will install this in my 1973 Pontiac Grand Am pro-touring car. I run TKO/600 5-speed, and a 3.73 gear. Car weight currently is 4000 lbs. I would like get some advice on a combination of parts to achieve a very strong torque biased build that will have all the power in by 6200. Can I make 550-600 NA horsepower and still have a good idle? My current motor has a fairly agressive HR with a very lumpy idle. This new motor will need to have a much more conservative idle to it, and the ability to run catalytic convertors. This motor will be EFI, no carb. I have investigated the use of ported LS3 based heads for this. A cam on a larger LSA for a broad powerband as well. Anyone out there running a stroker LS willing give me advice would be a great help. No roll bar, so if I can get this car to run mid 11's, I would be very satisfied. Thanks.

Last edited by Later-A-body; 05-22-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just got the new issue of Super Chevy and in there is an LS 454 buildup.
The horsepower goal met was 700 with a pretty large cam(251/266 @ .050)
The surprising part was the use of a cathedral port head. TEA cnc'd Trick
Flow 245cc...13deg. that flowed over 350 cfm on the intake and with a 50deg
valveseat on the exhaust 278 cfm . This thing had 11.8:1 comp and ran 29
degrees of timing for a 5300 rpm torque peak of 630. Kansas is jealous of the
flat *** torque band !!!! Over 600 ft/lbs from 4100-6100 and never below 570
at ANY point of the rpm band. Good luck w/your build
Old 05-22-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Erl 454

I'm waiting for my ERL 454. My L92 (LS3) heads are at WCCH waiting for the final engine setup data so they can be finished. I also asked Richard at WCCH to spec out a cam with a reasonable idle. I have a Fast 102, ported by Tony Mamo waiting to top off the motor.

My current LS2/402 is at 485 RWHP/445 RWTQ. It runs great, but it's time for a change. I'm expecting more horsepower, but even better, more torque.

Bob K.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be a pretty easy "cook book" recipe to make that kind of power from those cubes. Look for a good builder. Plenty around here for sure.

Started with a direction similar, but like everything, it took some alternate directions . Me personally would be to do a sleeved ERL or RHS block for the 454....if the budget permits. Not a fan of the LSX iron anchor. Good luck with the build!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Teching In

A.R. The Super Chevy engine sounds wild, but that is way too much cam. I would dial it back quite a bit. I am curious as to the cathedral ports vs rectangle port use. From what I have read it seems that the rectangle ports are the preferred set up with a big bore. What are the differences? Would cathedral ports be better choice for someone looking for a big flat torque curve like me, but not a high RPM limit. I am used to the brutal torque of a Pontiac, so winding something up to 6700 is not what I am looking for. How about intake manifolds? Do I realy need to step up to a FAST 102? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Later-A-body
I am curious as to the cathedral ports vs rectangle port use. From what I have read it seems that the rectangle ports are the preferred set up with a big bore. What are the differences? Would cathedral ports be better choice for someone looking for a big flat torque curve like me, but not a high RPM limit. I am used to the brutal torque of a Pontiac, so winding something up to 6700 is not what I am looking for. How about intake manifolds? Do I realy need to step up to a FAST 102? Thanks.

**** ton of info in the Internal Section on these issues.....search will be your friend

Fast 102 will be fine for your needs.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

I can't agree more with LPE 403... I wouldn't go with the LSX Block. ERL or RHS would be the only 2 options for me. The ERL/RHS Blocks have MANY differences and advantages over the stock blocks. Also, with the longer sleeves they will better support the pistons at BDC, and also yield more CH on the pistons. I would also assume since you are looking to make torque with this engine, That the 454 would really benefit you considering the extra Stroke from the crankshaft. The 454 would use a 4.125 Stroke Crank and the 427 would use a 4.00 Stroke Crank. Also, The FAST 102 would really help with feeding this engine. It's gonna move alot of air, so a stock LS1/LS6 intake will make it suffer and cost you power. I would also have the intake ported to match the heads to further gain power. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here that can help. For more info, you could always call ERL and talk to Sean or Seth and discusss options, the differences in there engines, and etc. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I'll help you out as much as I can man. Good Luck!

James
Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Later-A-body
A.R. The Super Chevy engine sounds wild, but that is way too much cam. I would dial it back quite a bit. I am curious as to the cathedral ports vs rectangle port use. From what I have read it seems that the rectangle ports are the preferred set up with a big bore. What are the differences? Would cathedral ports be better choice for someone looking for a big flat torque curve like me, but not a high RPM limit. I am used to the brutal torque of a Pontiac, so winding something up to 6700 is not what I am looking for. How about intake manifolds? Do I realy need to step up to a FAST 102? Thanks.
I assumed you would throw out at least 15-20 deg. of cam timing since your
goal is ONLY 600 hp. The article references your question about which head
and because it was a street engine they were looking for torque, as are you
I would definitely go with the FAST102(ported).
Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the advice. I am real excited about this build. I agree on the ERL block. I want the most amount of weight savings, so the aluminum block is mandatory.
A.R.: I know, it seems very strange to me to be saying I only want 600 hp, I would hate a traditional engine on the street at 600, but the LS has so much potential, I have to reel back the effort quite a bit which is something I am not used to doing.

Last edited by Later-A-body; 05-22-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

With a company like ERL around, I don't see why anyone would go with anything else really!
Keep us updated with the new setup.

James
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

You could build a 434 ci with a regular deck height block and with a carburetor can easily make over 600HP, then with a shot of nitrous could go way up. Big cubes are the key to the engine you want to build unless you are going to use a computer and injectors. Then you could go a little smaller. I was not sure if you were going to use a carb or not, but it is much simpler and cheaper to do so. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: 427/454 LS Build Advice. New To LS World