General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GM dealer screwed me over!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
the only ******* is the guy watching. If its a good shop that does good work, then the manager won't care if you walk out cause he knows his mechanic is doing cause the owner is an ******* and doesn't need those ******** business.
hahahaha
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HVYMTL
On a sidenote... LeanPocket I really wish my magnaflow stuff was that straight. Congrats to you or whoever installed that. haha mine looks horrible.

But anyways, I understand the customer standpoint, but moreso the technicians standpoint. I work at a dealership as a Parts Manager and one reason we try to avoid customers in the shop is also for insurance reasons. It's a major liability issue to have anyone other than dealer employess inside the shop while work is being performed. Not to mention it's VERY annoying for the mechanics. Yes there are times when you may get a chance to talk to the tech beforehand, and if they're cool with it, then that's great. But you have to realize also that if you're some overbearing customer, who's hassling the tech and watching over their shoulder, it's possible that they are more likely to make a mistake, because you're putting them on the spot and some people can get nervous in that situation. As far as the lowered car, speed bump thing, or any other instance like that, I would say it is your responsibility to make it known that your car is modified if special provisions need to be made. Just throwing 2 more cents into this thread.
Ty, its not a 100% str8 but I like the way it looks
I'm am gonna agree 100% with ur post, thats how it should be handled.
When it comes to repair work, I recently moved here to corpus christi tx a few years ago and its hard to find a reputable shop, when i was in mcallen tx there was alot of chill mechanics, and they all had a passion for fbodies (as it is a huge fbody scene in the rgv). I will say this, after I gave the salesman, and sales manager an earfull after I honestly thought I was being ripped I was behind the mechanic who did the work w/ consent, and I was one of those curious customers to see if there was anything else wrong. With that being said he did a fantastic job, and he overall gave me a good experience and i thank god the car i bought was in mint condition LOL

If its a good shop that does good work, then the manager won't care if you walk out cause he knows his mechanic is doing cause the owner is an ******* and doesn't need those ******** business.
that is SOOOO true
Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

agreed. if someone stood and watched me the whole time, I would move extremely slow and waist their time. Hell, I'd probably take lunch, talk on the phone, take a ****, ect. if you can't trust the people that are working on your car, go somewhere else. Or, man up, go meet the manager, ask to talk to mechanic that will be working on your car. A decent shop will allow it. A shady shop, not so much.
Exactly why i choose to watch. Someone mearly watching you shouldn't have ANY influence on the work being done. And if you are going to do this while being watched why would you be working hard while someone isn't watching?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have worked for money, bunch of times. I won't let anyone watch me work unless its a buddy. If you aren't a friend then I don't start work till you leave and I don't call you till its 100% done. I do what i'm paid to do, and take pride in the work. People can be ********, and I need all my concentration to give 100% to the job at hand, I don't need someone nit-picking something I'm doing when they aren't smart enough to do the job themselves. If thats the way it will be, I wont do it. Simple as that. Anyone who says the people who won't let someone watch have something to hide are full of ****.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

Exactly why i choose to watch. Someone mearly watching you shouldn't have ANY influence on the work being done. And if you are going to do this while being watched why would you be working hard while someone isn't watching?
Actually, yes it does. It doesn't have anything to do with weather or not they are a good mechanic. It's a natural reaction to how people work. People are less productive if someone is staring them down. People are more productive if they are allowed to work in a free environment, free from distractions and morons nitpicking them.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I have worked for money, bunch of times. I won't let anyone watch me work unless its a buddy. If you aren't a friend then I don't start work till you leave and I don't call you till its 100% done. I do what i'm paid to do, and take pride in the work. People can be ********, and I need all my concentration to give 100% to the job at hand, I don't need someone nit-picking something I'm doing when they aren't smart enough to do the job themselves. If thats the way it will be, I wont do it. Simple as that. Anyone who says the people who won't let someone watch have something to hide are full of ****.
^X2, and from all the shops that I've taken my cars to in the past because of their good reputations in the area they won't let anyone in or around the working bays. Most shops have safety rules and don't want to have to worry about bumping into customers while working or customers getting hurt tripping over things, etc.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Being a tech at a GM dealer I will say that I don't mind if someone looks over my shoulder. However, I would prefer if someone gave me the benefit of the doubt and let me do my job. I don't have time to talk because I'm being paid by my performance on each job. Also, I prefer to not give the customer an education on the fundamentals of automobiles in order to explain what's wrong with their car. A funny story is this kid that comes in with a Cobalt with a nitrous kit. Needless to say it's been through a clutch, syncros, tires, brakes, and lord knows what else. I work on the car and have put a lot through warranty that should have been customer pay. Needless to say he was mounting a bracket for an air filter and drilled through the support and hit the radiator . He's never watched me before but when I had to charge him for the radiator he stood and watched me like I owed him child support money. Meanwhile, my friend with a newer Z06 comes in and throws me the keys and hauls ***. I found it ironic that the man with a 65,000 dollar car trusts me but the kid with a 8,000 ragged on Cobalt wants to check my work. In the end, the moral of the story is not everyone cares as much about your car as you do.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This is more or less the approach i take, except as the customer. If your a friend or trusted/reputable person i don't mind at all and am willing to take that risk. Anyone else, if you don't want me to watch i will just go find someone else. I know it may not be trusting or peaches and cream for the mech, no one prefers being watched, but again that matters less to me than the outcome of my car.

Actually, yes it does. It doesn't have anything to do with weather or not they are a good mechanic. It's a natural reaction to how people work. People are less productive if someone is staring them down. People are more productive if they are allowed to work in a free environment, free from distractions and morons nitpicking them.
True, in some cases i would say. And i guess other factors come in to play such as the type of job, how moronic the customer is, ect. For me, if i'm changing spark plugs for example, it doesn't matter if someones watching me or not, i'm going to get them done in the same amount of time.

I think it also comes down to priorities also. When i go in its not the cocky or i want this sort of attitude. I meet the person and am friendly and ask if i can stick around, yeah its not a super friendly or trusting thing to watch, but it means more that i know my car is how i want it. If something happened to my car, i couldn't afford another one. It took a TON of hard work and savings to get it, and is also pretty much the car of my dreams. Pretty much my baby One day it might not be and i may not care about it so much when it isn't such a big investment, most anything else i own i don't really care for half as much and am willing to take much bigger risks on.

On the mechanics side, i see that as well. I worked for a boss last year that i couldn't sit down after coming home from work from him riding my *** so hard. I didn't have any other work options and i needed the money so i kept the job. When i got an opportunity to leave i kindly told the boss he could take his hand, make a fist with it, and shove it up his crum hole. Needless to say i hated that guy. I did everything i could for him and more and he would only complain and say what more i could have done. Of course, he never was so disappointed in my work to just let me go.. hmm.. also came back after i quit and told me he still wanted me to work for him because he could respect me telling him i didn't like that. I didn't go back though because i had learned the type of guy he was. Anyways, if i was a mechanic and there were a lot of morons that wanted to watch and ended up doing more than that and making my life hell then i would have to make the choice between saying what 01ssreda4 says or being open to viewers, because if i didn't have a reputation yet or was just starting out i would lose the customers like myself, however since most probably don't watch, would probably be worth it.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
Being a tech at a GM dealer I will say that I don't mind if someone looks over my shoulder. However, I would prefer if someone gave me the benefit of the doubt and let me do my job. I don't have time to talk because I'm being paid by my performance on each job. Also, I prefer to not give the customer an education on the fundamentals of automobiles in order to explain what's wrong with their car. A funny story is this kid that comes in with a Cobalt with a nitrous kit. Needless to say it's been through a clutch, syncros, tires, brakes, and lord knows what else. I work on the car and have put a lot through warranty that should have been customer pay. Needless to say he was mounting a bracket for an air filter and drilled through the support and hit the radiator . He's never watched me before but when I had to charge him for the radiator he stood and watched me like I owed him child support money. Meanwhile, my friend with a newer Z06 comes in and throws me the keys and hauls ***. I found it ironic that the man with a 65,000 dollar car trusts me but the kid with a 8,000 ragged on Cobalt wants to check my work. In the end, the moral of the story is not everyone cares as much about your car as you do.
Well said
Old 05-28-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

the dealer where i took my SS for warranty work has a huge area to watch your car being worked on. i constantly talked with techs and made friends with the service mngr.

the shop that built my SS after a few hacks fucked it up has no problem with me hanging around and watching them tune and build cars. i made a few friends there too.

id rather really not hang out but if youre competent and honest there shouldnt be a problem with customers watching you work.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
id rather really not hang out but if youre competent and honest there shouldnt be a problem with customers watching you work.
At some of the newer shops I've been at the waiting room has a window where you can see the shop. But for older shops the only problem I see is if you have a customer walking around the shop looking over the mechanics back its just a matter of time before they get hurt and then they will sue the shop. I know it sounds stupid, but the fact is this country is sue happy and people will sue over ANYTHING now a days
Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
At some of the newer shops I've been at the waiting room has a window where you can see the shop. But for older shops the only problem I see is if you have a customer walking around the shop looking over the mechanics back its just a matter of time before they get hurt and then they will sue the shop. I know it sounds stupid, but the fact is this country is sue happy and people will sue over ANYTHING now a days
The dealership I work at is less than 4 years old and it has a huge window that looks into the shop from the waiting room. That window is also shared with the office of my service manager so I have customers and my manager watching me. It's cool, I don't have anything to hide and I think people should get to see when their car is done or being road tested. It's funny that you mention sue happy and believe me I saw it first hand about a year ago. I was standing in the service drive and in pulls a new malibu with a rather large woman at the wheel. As soon as she steps out of the vehicle I hear a loud pop and she had broken her ankle attempting to get out of the car. Guess who is now sueing the dealership? I've also watched 2-3 customers take a nasty spill in our shop from having oil on the floor or a little antifreeze. Not to mention I've been tagged by cars backing out of the bays once or twice. It's just not safe........not even for the people who are employed lol.